Warbonnet RidgeRunner

A hammock you can lay on your stomach in? It's true.

Original Review: January 16, 2013 rated 4.5 of 5 stars

Summary

A hammock you can lay on your stomach in? It's true. I am a devoted stomach sleeper and find this hammock to be my answer to a comfortable night's sleep.

Pros

• Can lay on stomach or semi-fetal on side
  • Full bug netting (3 full side zippers)
  • Bug net stores in pouch at foot-end when not in use
  • 2 good size gear storage pouches (one each side of sleeper)
  • Spreader bars can be replaced w/ hiking poles to reduce weight
  • It's a hammock, you can camp almost anywhere

Cons

• Need a large tarp to ensure keeping dry in wet weather

Okay, I didn't believe it either, but it is true. You can actually lay on your stomach in the Ridge Runner hammock by Warbonnet. I decided to try hammock camping because I love the idea of being able to set up just about anywhere I wanted to.

Here in N.H. trees are abundant but flat, clear spots not so much. I was never as thrilled as other hammock sleepers because I am a stomach sleeper and in a gathered end hammock you sleep on your back. But now I'm hooked and will only go back to tents on those few occasions that I can get my wife to camp with me.

I am not a fitness geek, I don't spend my life in the woods, but I do weekend backpack about ten times per year, a couple of those in winter.

I bought this hammock new, directly from the manufacturer. It sets up like any other hammock, wrap your strap around a tree and tie the hammock ends off.

What's good about it...

1. With the Ridge Runner you lay flatter than other hammocks and you can actually sleep on your stomach without any pain. (Because I can now sleep on my stomach I find that the use of a pillow is best).
  2. Has a bug net, with a two-way zipper, that zips around on three sides. Seals you off from the bugs if they are out and just unzip the three sides and tuck it away into the small storage pouch at the foot-end of the hammock if you don't need it. (I'm 5'9" and I never know it's there).
  3. It has two storage pouches which hold a decent amount of stuff. They are located on each side of you as you lay in your hammock. I put in tomorrows clothes, down booties (in case my feet get cold), a water bottle (hey, what if I wake up thirsty), a snack, a headlamp and a book to read. You never feel any of it while laying in the hammock and they are extremely easy to grab when you need them.

They say you can replace the spreader bars with hiking poles but I have never done this because the spreader bars don't weigh much at all and I'd rather use the hiking poles on the tarp.

Speaking of tarp; this is the only drawback that I have experienced. You need a large tarp to ensure both ends are covered and you don't get wet when it rains. I find that 11' x 12' works good.  You don't get a lot of overhang on the ends but enough to work. (Too much would be a waste of weight anyway).

Update: December 24, 2013 rated 5 of 5 stars

Summary

If you're a stomach sleeper then this is the hammock you've been looking for. The advantage to hammocks is that they get you off the ground, and that here in New Hampshire you can set up anywhere.

It has two side storage compartments (one each side) that will hold whatever you will need during the night and you don't feel them while laying in the hammock. It has a zippered bug net that unzips from foot to foot and can be rolled out of the way if not needed.

Pros

• Lay flat on stomach or back
  • Hang anywhere there are trees
  • Excellent workmanship
  • Ample gear stow compartments
  • Zippered bug net

Cons

• It's a hammock, you sleep alone

A hammock is very easy to set up, just find two trees about 15 feet apart and attach the straps. No need to worry about rocks on the ground or even a stream. The tarp should you choose to use one, you know to keep rain off of you, requires simple attaching to the same two trees the hammock is attached to and then staking out the corners.

I have used mine in some very heavy rain and also in some pretty strong winds and have had no problems and slept well each time. I don't use end doors on the tarp so there are never any ventilation problems. I am 5' 9" and there is plenty of room, the manufacturer says there is room for someone up to 6' 6".

Warbonnet RidgeRunner

The Warbonnet RidgeRunner is not available from the stores we monitor.

If you're looking for a new hammock, check out the best reviewed current models.