Western Mountaineering Apache MF

Max user height 5 ft 6 in / 165 cm 6 ft 0 in / 180 cm 6 in / 200 cm
Shoulder girth 59 in / 150 cm 59 in / 150 cm 60 in / 152 cm
Hip girth 51 in / 130 cm 51 in / 130 cm 51 in / 132 cm
Foot girth 38 in / 97 cm 38 in / 97 cm 38 in / 97 cm

The Western Mountaineering Apache is an outstanding…

Price Paid: less than retail, used..

The Western Mountaineering Apache is an outstanding all purpose bag. Rated for 15 degree 3 season bag.

I tested it on a trip to Jefferson National Forest where the temperature was on average 45° F. The bag was so warm. I had to leave it unzipped and used it like a comforter.

My second trip was to Shenandoah National Park where the temperature was 20-35 degrees. I took a core temperature of the bag alone at 22 degrees with windchill. My sleeping bag was at 80 degrees with body heat after a core temperature check after an hour.

Pros

• Warm to 15 degrees
  • Excellent construction and stitching

Cons

• Narrow bag, not made for broad people

300winmag

I have a WM Megalite (overstuffed by WM for $38.) and love it. 'Spensive but worth it.

markhor

Nice review Denis! The narrow cut of the Apache is not a "con" though. They make two other cuts in a 15 degree temp rating: The Badger, a wide cut mummy in MF or Gore Windstopper shell, and the Ponderosa, a Semi-Rectangular cut in MF. Their site recommends you start by choosing a cut that suits your space needs (narrow mummy, wide mummy, or semi-rec), then choose your temp rating and shell. Not, nitpicking your review, sir. I'm just a huge fan of WM, and would tell anyone looking for a top quality bag they need look no further than their website. They even have a new cut (their Terralite 25 degree) for side sleepers.

denis daly

markor i have to say..I love this bag..This is my three season and a little..I personally like a warmer bag so I can go with less layers..But when I extend into more winter conditons. I 'll have another WM bag for those temps..I'll be updating this review this year with pic's and more info...

300winmag

Denis, I'm considering buying a down quilt to go over my Megalite bag for temps down to -20 F. I'm going to make a neck collar for the Megalite that will attach and detach with Velcro.

denis daly

300 winmag please post pic's in the forum when you do...I might add a quilt next year to my things for something new for travels...

Warm, lightweight, compact, and luxurious: this is…

Source: bought via a "pro deal"
Price Paid: $200 pro deal

Summary

Warm, lightweight, compact, and luxurious: this is one of my favorite pieces of gear!

Pros

• Warm
  • Compresses well
  • Fabric feels great
  • Hood fits well

Cons

• Fabric seems delicate

The Apache MF was a large investment. At $450 MSRP ($200 pro deal), it's by far the most expensive piece of gear I've ever purchased, but each time I use it, I know I made a sound investment.

I've used the Apache twice so far in very different conditions. Once was in early May 2012 at the Buffalo River in Arkansas. The temperature ranged from mid-40s to mid-50s at night with high humidity and rain. The bag remained lofted and warm every night.

Obviously a 15° bag was overkill for such a trip, but I had just gotten it and had to take it for a spin. I was surprised at how I did not overheat, the down doing a great job keeping me comfortable and the footbox venting well. I used it again in late February 2013 for an overnight at Dinosaur Valley in Texas where lows at night dipped into the low 30s. I stayed cozy and warm all night using a Big Agnes Insulated Air Core pad.

I'm 5'8" and 165lbs and the bag fits great. It is a narrow cut, but I have plenty of room to be comfortable while maintaining efficiency.

The microfiber (MF) fabric is a ripstop polyester. It feels great against the skin, and when combined with the already awesome feel of down, it feels like heaven when you get in it. The fabric seems delicate, but I'm always careful with it and haven't had any issues. The tight weave and DWR are great for moisture resistance; I poured a bit of water on the shell upon receiving the bag and it rolled off like a duck's back. The smooth fabric also makes stuffing the bag very easy. The bag compresses to about the size of a soccer ball in the compression bag I use, but it could probably go smaller.

The weight is about average for a bag of its temperature rating in its class. The Mountain Hardwear Phantom 15 is 2 lbs 1 oz and the Marmot Plasma is 1 lbs 15.96 oz.

The zipper moves well, but can be tricky to get the last 3 inches or so when you're inside — doesn't stick, it's just a weird angle. The zipper has a full-length stiffener that pretty much eliminates snags. A thick draft collar is awesome and the opening of the bag has two cinches — one around the shoulders on the draft collar and one at the hood to really seal in all the warm air. Velcro on the collar and hood keeps zippers closed during the night.

My feet are always cold, so I regret not ordering an over-stuff on the footbox (available if you order direct from Western Mountaineering), but no frigid feet yet; I'll update once I take it closer to the lower temperature limits.

Overall, an awesome bag that I hope to have for many years to come!

image.jpg

This bag is amazing! I just spent New Years, Jan 1,…

Summary

This bag is amazing! I just spent New Years, Jan 1, 2015, in the Utah desert. It got down to 12°F in my Springbar. This bag didn't just keep me not cold, but with the draft collar and the hood all the way cinched I stayed toasty warm. This bag will definitely put any other three-season bag to shame.

Pros

• Warmer than 15°
  • Comfortable to sleep in
  • Highest quality construction

Cons

• Constant jealousy from other campers
  • Other people try to take naps in it
  • You'll have to start wanting something else

I spent four nights in this bag in the Utah desert on New Year's Eve in freezing cold temperatures and stayed completely and totally warm at night in the sleeping bag.

The draft collar works amazing the hood is perfectly shaped. The 15° rating is generous. The quality and construction is unmatched and any use with the proper sleeping pad could easily be used as a four-season bag.

Absolutely worth every penny.

Welcome to Trailspace, Scott! Thanks for sharing your WM bag review with us.