Western Mountaineering Tamarak

Weight 19 oz
Temp Rating 30°F

I have this sleeping bag on trial from the local retailer…

Source: Trialing for the local retailer as this bag is a manufactures sample

Summary

I have this sleeping bag on trial from the local retailer to give him my feedback on its suitability for Australian conditions. First off it weighs very little and takes up a minimum of space. the shell is very breathable and the loft is phenomenal for its weight. WM say it lost to 4 inches but I measured it at 4.5.

My primary use will be as a foot-sack/elephants foot for emergency use when ski touring but, as this is a very narrow bag (a good thing in my opinion, less dead air to warm up ), it will have a secondary function as a liner for my double bag system. It would also make a superb sleeping bag for a teenager or younger walker as the semi rectangular cut makes its use as a quilt in warm weather another option.

As a foot-sack the zipper is redundant and if WM ever wanted to make a dedicated half bag all they need to do is shorten this bag a touch and remove the zipper.

Pros

• Warmth-for-weight ratio
  • Compact stuffed size
  • Full length zipper
  • Excellence of materials and workmanship Breathability of the shell fabric

Cons

• For climbing use the zipper is redundant, and for climbing use the more weather resistant microfiber shell may have been a better fabric

Having tried the bag on only one windy and chilly night I do believe that it is much warmer than the manufacturers rating of-2°C.

I am a cold sleeper and halfway through a night that got down to 5°C I had to open the bag up and vent the heat from my legs.

Although a lightweight shell fabric it was more wind resistant than I would have thought, but in winter I would not use to without a tent or bivvy.

I slept as I usually do in spring in silk weight longs but no socks or beanie, on top of a combination of Ridgerest Solar and a 32mm half length Thermarest that is now more patch than original fabric under a small tarp and using a Level 7 Army insulated jacket which is a clone of the Patagonia DAS belay parka and an old but comfortable cashmere jumper more moth hole than wool these days.

I had no trouble pulling the bag up under my armpits and then doing up the jacket. I'm reasonably tall at 185cm and the bag covers my legs and torso admirably.

I will be able to write a long term usage review after the winter, but I intend to buy this bag for my own use. I have always been a user of half bags and this bag fits inside my big expedition cut winter bag with enough room to spare to allow the outer bag full loft.

Luckily I am still reasonably skinny but Western Mountaineering does describe it as such and a narrow bag warms up much more quickly so the narrow cut is a plus in my opinion. For my use it would be better without the zip but the zipper does make this bag much more versatile.

Our Tamarak could be used as a children's bag when the family heads for the hills, or it could be used as a 3/4 length bag along with a parka for an alpine bivy system.

Western Mountaineering's Tamarak could be used as a children's bag when the family heads for the hills, or it could be used as a 3/4 length bag along with a parka for an alpine bivy system. Any adults that are 5'1" or less should consider this as a lightweight comfortable bag for two-season outings. It is made with continuous baffles and a full-length wrap around YKK coil zipper with insulated draft protection. This bag is filled with the finest polish 850fp goose down and weighs just 19 ounces! Color will vary according to fabric availability. Western Mountaineering Tamarack Features: Full-length #5 YKK Zipper 5" Spacing/Continuous Baffle Construction 4" Loft, 30° F 60"/57"/42" Shoulder/Hip/Foot Girth 9 oz. Down Fill average Total Weight 19oz. available in 5'0" length only Compare Sleeping Bag Specs. Best viewed in 1280x1024 Click to enlarge Size Shape Rating Loft Fill Inside Girth (shoulder/ hip/foot) Fill Weight Total Weight 5'0" Semi Rectangular 30 o 4.5" 850+ Goose Down 60"/57"/42" 9 oz. 1 lb. 3 oz.

- OMCgear

Western Mountaineering Tamarak

The Western Mountaineering Tamarak is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen August 11, 2008 at OMCgear.