Zamberlan 1009 Vioz Top GT RR

Weight 870 g

A really good pair of hunting boots that is worth…

Price Paid: 235 EU on sale

Summary

A really good pair of hunting boots that is worth looking into.

Pros

• Goretex Duratherm lining
  • Full grain leather
  • No break-in period (seriously)
  • Rubber reinforcement all around for extra protection
  • Indentation in the achilles tendon area
  • Vibram sole

Cons

• Designed for really cold climates
  • Not much of a heel welt for a hybrid crampon to latch on

I've been wearing these semi-tall boots for the last three years and I am impressed with their consistent performance. Never failed me, no matter the terrain or the conditions. Always kept my feet dry even when submerged into shallow rivers for brief periods.

I am a size 42 but the shop owner suggested me to wear size 44. It fit great! Especially around the toe area with room to spare (but not too much I guess).

The Vibram Darwin wide-last sole (WL) is a dual density sole that offers the much needed rigidity when walking the Cretan mountains without sacrificing the comfort of shock absortion.

DSC00006.jpg
From steep sharp rocks to loose gravel and from snow to muddy trails, this boot can stand up to the challenge even under the heavy load of a two-day backpacking excursion. The strength of your feet is the limit. Oh and ice of course (lol).

The Flex-STM system offers more supple (nabuk I guess) leather to key points at the sides of the boot to improve flexibility when walking the trail, hence larger strides with less effort.

This plus the anatomically designed achilles tendon area offers superior comfort without ANY break-in period. Guaranteed!

DSC00010.jpg
The rubber reinforcement gives extra protection from pretty much everything and according to Zamberlan it helps maintain the shape of the boot. At least it still does for me so...

DSC00011.jpg

On to the cons.

This is a semi-tall boot that offers just the right amount of ankle support for me, but I guess it wouldn't do much against a leaping snake towards your calve.

Some to consider when not in Crete (no venomous snakes here).

Due to the Goretex Duratherm lining this boot can get really hot, which in some cases is a con depending on the season.

Also the heel welt is not so deep for a hybrid crampon to latch on or at least the company doesn't support any claim of doing so. Didn't get my hands on a hybrid to test this though.

DSC00026.jpg
Maintenance: After every excursion no matter the difficulty of the conditions of it I always follow the following steps.

1. Washing the boots with running water and brushing with a hard toothbrush.
  2. After drying up use a pair of tweezers and a slitter to remove any visible broken thornes.
  3. Apply Zamberlan's Hydroblock wax paste (even on the rubber) and leave in a warm place for the wax to saturate the leather properly.
  4. After two days wipe like as if you were trying to polish the excess wax.

I know it may sound like a lot of work to do, but it kept my boots waterproof and crack-free for almost five years so yeah, it's my ritual but it works.

DSC00027.jpg

DSC00029.jpg

Thanks for the review from Crete, Nick! I agree that those are some good looking boots. Good job taking care of them.

Zamberlan 1009 Vioz Top GT RR

The Zamberlan 1009 Vioz Top GT RR is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen February 22, 2016 at Backcountry.com.