Zamberlan Cristallo Gore-Tex

men's
Weight 680 g

Comfortable, warm, good ankle support, good arch support,…

Price Paid: $280 USD

Summary

Comfortable, warm, good ankle support, good arch support, nice cushioning in midsole.

Pros

• Supportive
  • Painless break-in so far!
  • Good traction

Cons

• Hot, of course, in hot weather
  • Liner is loose inside boot in places

My feet are broad, high volume feet with thick ankles and low arches and these fit like a dream!!!

I'm in Australia, and these boots retail here for nearly $400 (around same in U.S. dollars). (I didn't actually pay that, as I got them on sale.) As they are a premium item, as a purchaser you have high expectations.

I note that the boots I have — bought in Feb 2012 — are slightly different to those pictured, I think they are a previous model. Mine have grey around the top, not black. And the EVA midsole is thicker in mine, which makes the sole thicker and more cushioned. Hopefully those are the only differences, but I can't be sure.

These Zamberlans are the only boots I've tried on that don't put pressure on the back of my leg above the heel, even on steep descents. I tried lots of others — Asolo etc — but they were all too high cut in the Achilles region and pressed in too much here. The Cristallos are roomy enough in the toebox but supportive in in the midfoot, very comfy and soft padding through the instep area and the laces. Very nice arch support. The laces are very long. Very comfy on ascents, heel sits nicely in the heel cup. Feet don't slide forward on descents. Traction is good.

The EVA midsole is very cushiony and I find them good even on concrete. I feel like these pretty boots are saying to me on each step "I've got you!"

Only concern is that the liners which are fabric/Gore-tex seem to be a bit loose and wrinkled; they are not fully bonded to the leather outer all the way around inside the boot... so far I haven't developed any sore spots of blisters, hope this continues to be the case on multiday hikes.

If not for the liner issue I'd be giving them a four and a half stars at this early point in their career!

_________

ADD-ON 6/23/12:

After about 100 miles — Still comfy. Little less rigid around the ankles now that they have softened a little, but overall still look and feel much as they did at the start. Waterproofness is good. It's winter now, so they are nice and warm.

The wrinkled liner issue — I followed up with Zamberlan via Australian retailer and they advise that this is just how the boots are made so that the waterproofness is not compromised — the liners are just stuck in one place to the toe and the rest just sits inside the boot like a loose sock.

So far, this has not caused major problems for me, but I've still only done day hikes in them, with a 26lb pack.

Very impressed with the traction of the soles on wet slippy surfaces.

_________

UPDATE 5/23/13:

Hiked half the John Muir Trail in these boots last year (summer) and currently training in them for upcoming season. Maybe 300+ miles on them, and they still look and feel great. I did not get a single blister on our trip.

I would unreservedly recommend these boots, but of course they are not for ultralight backpackers. I have not been in snow in them. The support, traction and waterproofness is fabulous.

I'm changing my rating from 4 to 4 1/2 stars!

My backpacking is mostly in the Colorado Rocky mountains…

Materials: Classic leather with Gore-Tex
Use: Rough trail with medium pack
Break-in Period: 1 week

My backpacking is mostly in the Colorado Rocky mountains in wilderness areas, and I don't stay on the trails a lot. My feet are average volume, size and width and these boots fit my feet very well. I ordered 4 -5 pairs of mostly different brands and tried them all out. These offered excellent stability under 35 lb. pack and very good traction and comfort.

Added Super Feet insoles to make them almost perfect.
The toe box gives plenty of wiggle room and the heels set in nicely. Downhill no toe jamming. I highly recommend these boots.

These boots are pretty darn good. Despite the goretex,…

Materials: Nubuck Leather
Use: Moderate off-trail w/ medium-heavy pack
Break-in Period: One 3-day trip!
Weight: Between 2-3 lbs
Price Paid: $240 Cdn

These boots are pretty darn good. Despite the goretex, I treated them with nikwax and even after standing in puddles, water would run off the surface - excellent leather.

One small problem (depending on how you look at it) is that some cuts and scrapes went pretty deep. On the plus side, the leather is thick enough for this not to be a big problem.

If you have REALLY high arches, they might not be good for you, my arches are sorta high, and the boots are a little tight there, but if you lace them properly it's no big deal.

Ankle support is great, vibram soles allowed me to walk up very steep inclines (up to sixty degrees for short stretches + fun!)with a pack on.

Good cushioning - feet were rarely sore, never got blisters even during first hike.

These are available at MEC, and for the price, are excellent. Unless you need leather thicker than 3mm or super stiff soles that won't budge in your hands, I'd recommend these to anybody!

The dry feet at the end of the day are a great feature!

Visit Zamberlan's Men's Cristallo Gore-Tex page.

Born in the Italian Alps, the Zamberlan Women's Cristallo GT Boot excels in challenging, high-altitude environments. Combining great durability and stability with protection from the weather thanks to the water-resistant seamless leather upper and the waterproof breathable Gore-Tex insert, the Cristallo keeps on truckin' in any conditions. You're also assured a comfortable fit by the women-specific ZLF fit last, which offers firm hold on the heel with a roomy toe box with plenty of wriggle room for your toes.

- Backcountry.com refers to the women's version

On Sale. Free Shipping. Zamberlan Women's 895 Cristallo GTX Boot FEATURES of the Zamberlan Women's 895 Cristallo GTX Boot Ultra lightweight yet comfortable and supportive boot for long day hikes on rough trails in variable weather conditions It features a classic one-piece Hydrobloc Leather upper design, along with the new and improved Vibram Revolve sole package The Vibram Revolve utilizes compression molded EVA for great cushioning, wear resistance, and traction The 895 Cristallo GT is Gore-Tex lined, providing the utmost protection and breathability The Gore-Tex lining is coupled with a Microtex wicking nylon collar lining to help control excess moisture SPECIFICATIONS of the Zamberlan Women's 895 Cristallo GTX Boot Weight: 610 gram Upper: Hydrobloc Nabuk Leather Leather Thickness: 2,0/2,2 mm Hardware: H.R.T in.High Resistance Treatmentin. Lining: Gore-Tex Footbed: Zamberlan Z-Comfort Fit Footbed Padding: Z.A.S in.Zamberlan Air Systemin. Insole/Shank: Zamberlan Z-Flex GT Toe and Heel: Thermoplastic Sole Package: Zamberlan Vibram Evolution Construction: GTX Bootee Fit: Women's This product can only be shipped within the United States. Please don't hate us.

- Moosejaw refers to the women's version

If cushioned comfort in a waterproof backpacking boot with Vibram traction appeals to you, the Zamberlan Cristallo GT features EVA for shock absorption and underfoot comfort.

- EMS refers to the women's version

A modern twist on classic Italian design, the Zamberlan 995 Cristallo GT Hiking Boot for women is built on a female specific mold to fit snugly against your foot. Over time, the leather upper molds to your foot to provide an exceptional fit that will last years. The premium Italian nubuck leather is treated with a Water-resistant Hydrobloc(R) compound resulting in improved water-shedding. This combined with a waterproof breathable GORE-TEX(R) liner and moisture-wicking anatomic footbeds ensures that your feet are always in a dry and comfortable environment during those rainy days of Fall or the hot humid days of Summer. All this sits atop an exclusively developed Zamberlan VIBRAM(R) Evolution sole with a compression molded EVA for great cushioning, wear resistance and traction making this boot ideal for weekend hikes or extended backpacking trips carrying moderate to heavy weight.

- Altrec Outdoors refers to the women's version

Zamberlan Cristallo Gore-Tex

The Zamberlan Cristallo Gore-Tex is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen April 27, 2014 at Backcountry.com.