Zelph's Stoveworks SS Starlyte Ultralyte

This alcohol stove is Ultralight, safe, simple, no…

Price Paid: $14 includes shipping

Summary

This alcohol stove is Ultralight, safe, simple, no parts to fail, fuel efficient and can be used in freezing cold temperatures and altitude.

Pros

• Ultralight backpacking
  • Safe
  • Simple

Cons

• No simmering

I use this alcohol stove for long day hikes, backpacking and car camping. It is tiny, 16.4 grams and comes with a flourescent green plastic lid that can be found later if forgotten.

This stove absorbs the fuel that's poured onto the top metal screen and will not leak out if held upside down as the fuel is held in suspension. You can fill the stove with 1.5 ounces of fuel and cap it off to avoid evaporation.  Additional fuel can be carried in a separate bottle. Half an ounce of fuel can boil 2 liters of water in about 8 minutes. Just blow out or snuff out the flame with your cook pot, wait a bit and cap it off to save fuel.

I purchased the modified burner for use with the Trail Designs Caldera Cone.  IMHO, this is the best ultralight, easiest and safest backpacking stove I have used to date. I can boil water for dehy breakfast/coffee and dehy dinner/hot chocolate while I either take down camp or relax after a long day and not worry about priming, how much fuel is left in the canister, making sure the pot is set just right on the tiny stove legs or that I don't tip over the boiling water on myself. The Caldera Cone is the windscreen and pot stand all in one, will not tip over when in use, highly wind resistant, and very fuel efficient when used with the Starlyte Stove.

You could hold your cook pot up away from the stove to simmer, but I don't cook in my pot. The stove lights quickly and easily even in freezing temps and altitude. The stove packs nicely inside my cook pot, it's very durable, and has never let me down. I use it when car camping to boil water for coffee first thing in the morning instead of setting up the clunky Coleman stove.

If you've owned or used a Zelph's Stoveworks SS Starlyte Ultralyte, please share your experience.

Zelph's Stoveworks SS Starlyte Ultralyte

The Zelph's Stoveworks SS Starlyte Ultralyte is not available from the stores we monitor.

If you're looking for a new alcohol stove, check out the best reviewed current models.

Weight 16 g
Fuel Capacity 1 ounce
Boil time 7 minutes (2 cups of water).