Outdoor Retailer: MSR Stoves Go Hybrid and Micro

We head to Outdoor Retailer Summer Market this week, and there's so much new backcountry gear to cover we're previewing some that has already caught our eye, like these two new stoves from MSR.

MSR MicroRocket

MSR MicroRocket and WhisperLite Universal

Cascade Designs has loads of new gear for 2012: trekking poles, sleeping pads, tent accessories, and two new stoves, the MSR MicroRocket and WhisperLite Universal.

MSR says its MicroRocket is small and light (How light? We'll find out this week) but makes no compromise when it comes to cooking. It packs into an MSR Insulated Mug, boils a liter of water in approximately three-and-a-half minutes, and is 15 percent lighter than the ever-popular PocketRocket (which weighs 3 ounces). It comes with a hand-held Piezo igniter designed specifically for it.

The WhisperLite Universal stove is MSR's first hybrid-fuel stove, combining canister and liquid fuel capabilities in one package. The WhisperLite Universal features AirControl technology, which optimizes performance in both canister and liquid fuel modes thanks to fuel-specific jets and fuel source couplers; users swap one of three self-cleaning Shaker Jets and one of two source couplers to match the type of fuel being burned.

We'll get and share full details, plus pictures and videos for closer looks, on much more outdoor equipment and apparel at Outdoor Retailer, August 3-7, in Salt Lake City.

What would you like to see or hear about as we cover the show? Tell us below.

Stay tuned for regular updates and announcements from OR here. Subscribe to our blog and news RSS feeds for real-time updates of our daily show coverage, and follow our tweets from the show floor on Twitter.

Comments

Cleric
August 1, 2011 at 11:26 a.m. (EDT)

Keep an eye on those hybrid-fuel stoves!  Very interesting.

Also... barefoot running is all the rage right now.  Are we going to start seeing any of that trend in hiking boots?  Some of the minimalist companies already claim that light hiking is possible in their models.   If there is anything at OR, I'd be interested in hearing about it!

August 1, 2011 at 12:14 p.m. (EDT)

I like the stoves, but then again how much I like them will be dependent upon what kind of hit I will take in the wallet for one.

Alicia, I would like to hear about the new MH tents coming out. There is one in particular which is the model that Ueli Steck utilizes. I am almost certain it is a single wall. I have a hunch it incorporates the Dry Q laminate into the design. I have only seen pics of it and I saw it in the Project Himilaya preview. I haven't found any info on it.

Thanks...

Robert Rowe
August 1, 2011 at 3:25 p.m. (EDT)

Amazing how much lighter and (in this case) smaller stoves are becoming.

At what point do we say, "ENOUGH!" ?   Much as Rick (above post) is inferring, acquisition is value-dependent.

Most of us have some sort of small, portable stove, already ... and are likely, pleased.

This somewhat reminds me of the folks that enscribe the Preamble to the Constitution, or the Lord's Prayer, on a grain of rice.

"Gulliver's Travels",  anyone?

~r2~

Louis-Alexis
August 2, 2011 at 2:43 a.m. (EDT)

+1 for more info on the MH line designed with Ueli. A date on store availabilty for the camelback bottle with the UV light would be nice.

August 2, 2011 at 11:43 a.m. (EDT)

Got it, guys:

Cleric, We'll see these stoves (and others!) in person. We're also keeping an eye on the barefoot/minimal trend and how it affects other outdoor footwear. Advance word is that hikers are lightening up and getting more colorful, though not everyone is trying to be the lightest out there.

MH Tent: Rick, I think you're referring to Mountain Hardwear's Direkt 2 tent:

Weighing in at only 2 lbs. 8 oz., the Direkt 2 is the lightest 2-person tent capable of withstanding extreme high-alpine conditions. Its DAC Featherlight™ NSL poles and our proprietary Evolution Tension Arch™ tent-stabilizing technology are now mainstays of our expedition tent collection.

Louis-Alexis, I will definitely report back any news on that elusive CamelBak UV bottle filter. I ask for an update at every OR, and am hoping they can tell me something definite this time around. We'll see.

Thanks!

August 2, 2011 at 11:55 a.m. (EDT)

Alicia said:

MH Tent: Rick, I think you're referring to Mountain Hardwear's Direkt 2 tent:

Hmmmm, it uses the same poles as my solo and is based on the EV2 but stronger... interesting.

Here is a vid on it...

Thankyou Alicia.

Wait a sec, that tent was out in 09... Is there a new model or any new models that utilize Dry Q laminate?

I was under the impression the one that is utilized in Ueli's vid was a model that has yet to be released. Hmmmm....

hikin_jim
August 4, 2011 at 8:05 p.m. (EDT)

I'm definitely interested in getting the details on any new stoves.  I think the changes with the Whisperlite Universal are pretty exciting, particularly if it makes a "hybrid" (gas and liquid fueled) stove more accessible.  The current crop of hybrid stoves (e.g. Primus Omnifuel, Brunton All Fuel) are pretty expensive.

Add'l photos much appreciated if possible.

HJ

hikin_jim
August 4, 2011 at 11:54 p.m. (EDT)

Oh, and a photo and/or information on the new Windpro II would be most welcome as well.

HJ

August 9, 2011 at 11:33 a.m. (EDT)

On the off-chance anyone missed it, there is a post with videos of the three new MSR stoves — WhisperLite Universal, WindPro II, and MicroRocket — here: