CamelBak's All Clear UV Bottle Purifier Available for 2012

Two years ago at Outdoor Retailer, CamelBak announced its noteworthy All Clear, an in-bottle microbiological UV water purifier. After a lengthy wait and redesign, the All Clear will finally be launched in a new and improved form for 2012.

Jon Austen, CamelBak's director of product management, says the All Clear is designed for simplicity, durability, and energy efficiency.

The purifier's ultraviolet bulb is now housed in the bottle's cap, and is good for 10,000 cycles. That's the equivalent of purifying three liters of water every day for nearly seven years.

By holding down the power button on the cap for two seconds and rotating the All Clear bottle several times, the UV light neutralizes 99.9999 percent of bacteria, 99.99 percent of viruses, and 99.9 percent of protozoa, sterilizing 0.75 liters of water in 60 seconds.

An LCD screen on the cap gives you a 60-second countdown for each cycle and lets you know when your water is safe to drink. To keep it even more simple, directions are permanently printed on each All Clear bottle.

An optional 100-micron screen Pre-Filter can be mounted on the bottle to eliminate large objects like "sticks and crickets," in Austen's words.

All Clear Cap with power button and LCD screen

All Clear Pre-Filter

The All Clear is aimed at backcountry enthusiasts and global travelers with questionable water sources, and could be included as part of disaster preparedness kits.

Jon Austen gave us a demonstration of the All Clear at Outdoor Retailer.

All Clear UV Features:

• High-powered ultraviolet light neutralizes 99.9999% of bacteria, 99.99% of viruses, and 99.9% of protozoa
  • 60 seconds per cycle
  • Purifies 80 cycles per full charge
  • UV bulb lasts 10,000 cycles and mounts securely over threads
  • Kit includes 0.75L Tritan Better Bottle with Classic Cap for use after water has been purified, cover to protect UV bulb when not in use, Recharge Cable (mini USB plugs directly into cap and connects to a wide range of USB compatible wall chargers, laptops, cell phones, solar, etc.)

All Clear Specs:

• Weight: 6.9 oz (UV cap only), 3.7 oz (bottle only) 10.6 oz (total unit)
  • All Clear MSRP: $99
  • All Clear Pre-Filter MSRP: $15
  • Available February 2012

Comments

Family Guy
August 5, 2011 at 11:34 a.m. (EDT)

Not to be overly anal, but what is the expected weight?  Thanks,

August 7, 2011 at 3:43 a.m. (EDT)

Is there a backlight on the display for low light use? 80 cycles for charge sounds pretty good. If I were to treat 4 liters a day this would hold me for 20 days. Hmmmm. I kinda like this.

August 9, 2011 at 10:54 a.m. (EDT)

I'm asking for that info and will report back as soon as I have it. Thanks.

August 10, 2011 at 2:32 p.m. (EDT)

I've added the weights above:

Weight: 6.9 oz (UV cap only), 3.7 oz (bottle only) 10.6 oz (total unit)

CamelBak says:

The crucial components that make up the weight of All Clear are:

• Battery power / charge density: The All Clear features two rechargeable Lithium Ion batteries that deliver 80+ cycles per full charge. From a user perspective that's 3 bottles per day for 26 days.
  • Cap functionality. The other driver of added weight is that the fact that the All Clear is a full cap solution that enhances both ease of use and functionality as a stand-alone cap. Features like the threads and handle add weight.

On the backlight question:

Is there a backlight on the display for low light use? No. This was decided against because it drives significant increased battery/energy use and most users are already using a headlamp or other light source, so the energy efficiency cost wasn't worth the benefit.

August 10, 2011 at 2:41 p.m. (EDT)

Alicia said:

On the backlight question:

I thought my question was somewhat silly after I fired it out. I have been sick(strep) for a few days so I my motor functions are pretty slow at best.

This makes sense. After a bit more thought the backlight would be more of a convenience as opposed to a necessity. I  can also understand that it would take more away from the battery and in turn that would cut away from the 80 cycles.

I would much rather have the ability to be able to use this unit for a longer period of time as opposed to a shorter time with a light. I really like the idea and design of this unit.

I have a head lamp so viewing the LCD shouldn't be a problem at all.

The only thing left for me is how well does it hold up during "extended use?" I am looking forward to future reviews on the unit before I drop the dough on one.

This may be a silly question but is the unit compatible with other wide mouth bottles? I know alot of companies have used DuPont Lexan for their bottles, any chance CB utilized this in their bottle here? So many questions.

Anything can look great on paper or hanging in the local outfitter hands on tells the tale. :)

JerseyWreckDiver
August 17, 2011 at 6:14 p.m. (EDT)

Yes, does it have standard, wide mouth Nalgene threads?

Robert Rowe
August 17, 2011 at 10:52 p.m. (EDT)

Where made ?

~r2~

Callahan
August 18, 2011 at 2:33 a.m. (EDT)

This is a good looking unit and if compatible with other lids it will surely be a winner

August 30, 2011 at 3:07 p.m. (EDT)

I've got some answers for you from CamelBak:

While the thread pattern is the same (63 mm), yes it will fit, but it is not designed for a different cap ... hence the All Clear "all-in-one" system.

FYI, you can exchange the All Clear cap/purifier for a standard CamelBak Classic Cap. So, you're not stuck with just the purifier cap on the bottle once you're done treating. It's an interesting question to see how it would work out if exchanged between other 63 mm bottles...

I am fairly certain it is made in China.

GaryPalmer
August 30, 2011 at 5:35 p.m. (EDT)

CWF asks: What is the weight. The ad says:

• Weight: 6.9 oz (UV cap only), 3.7 oz (bottle only) 10.6 oz (total unit)
August 30, 2011 at 6:07 p.m. (EDT)

Alicia said:

I've got some answers for you from CamelBak:

I was leaning in the direction that if I were to purchase this unit and was on the trail with a partner can I screw the cap/light onto another bottle(Nalgene, etc.) so we can share the unit in a sense? No point in carrying multiple units. I suppose one could filter in the Camelbak then pour the UV treated water into another bottle duh... Or one could contact Camelbak direct and purchase exrta individual bottles for said purpose.

Sometimes I think too much.

August 30, 2011 at 7:19 p.m. (EDT)

Rick-Pittsburgh said:

Alicia said:

I've got some answers for you from CamelBak:

Sometimes I think too much.

I don't think you were thinking too much. It's a good idea overall, if it will work. It's always good to have options and know what will work together in advance.

I think it's a matter of trial and error, since CamelBak isn't specifically recommending it, but it's probably worth a shot.

August 30, 2011 at 10:00 p.m. (EDT)

Alicia said:

I don't think you were thinking too much.

Thanks for the reassurance Alicia... Sometimes I get so consumed by gear, specs, weights, material, blah blah blah that I drive myself borderline bonkers.

I suppose it could be worse. At least my main goal is to still get out there and use this gear as much a humanly possible.

Protos
September 30, 2011 at 1:51 a.m. (EDT)

Very timely review.

Was looking at a steri pen but may hold off now.

Thanks very much.

Barrymore
January 30, 2012 at 6:12 a.m. (EST)

Hello Alicia

Thanks for this valuable info.

I have been looking for a water purification system and this looks simple to use yet efficient.

I guess there is no option for internal replaceable batteries which would have been a nice backup option because if I can purify 80 cycles at 4 liters per day then as Rick- Pittsburgh calculated this would last me 20 days. but if I, have no access to a USB charge connection after 20 days I am screwed.

I charge my iPhone from my car with a USB compatible charger. Does USB compatible chargers mentioned above include the cigarette lighter in motor vehicle for the bottle and will it work with the charger I use for my iPhone.

How about suggesting a backup water purification method in case my batteries run within this device.

And last: Could you please notify us when this product will be available for shipping?

Callahan
May 3, 2012 at 2:32 p.m. (EDT)

Has anyone bought and used one yet ?

review ?

May 3, 2012 at 2:41 p.m. (EDT)

Callahan said:

Has anyone bought and used one yet ?

review ?

Bill S(OGBO) tested it:

May 3, 2012 at 5:13 p.m. (EDT)

You can see all All Clear reviews (we've got two so far), and submit your own, here:

Mumblefords
RETAILER
May 3, 2012 at 9:43 p.m. (EDT)

I had the opportunity to see and play with one at my last Camelbak Clinic at work. THe thing I really really like about it is that its pretty much fool proof. WIth stuff like the steri pen you have to guess it the treatment was good  but with this bottle you can only do a preset amount of water and the instructions have been engraved on the bottle. There is no excuse for screwing up the treatment.

-MG

Callahan
May 3, 2012 at 9:55 p.m. (EDT)

nice n thx

Peter1955
May 4, 2012 at 12:07 a.m. (EDT)

Bought one on a pro deal. Going to try it out on the Backpacking Prep course I'm leading May 19-22nd.

The water will be beaver pond/slough water. If no one dies, I'll let you know.