Good value for money. Good overall boots for rolling…

Price Paid: 216€ (incl. vat and delivery)

Summary

Good value for money. Good overall boots for rolling in fells.

Bought these boots to replace 20-year-old Asolo telemark boots. My usage is around 75% of skiing and 25% of downhill so the flex is perfect for my rolling in nearby fells. Now after <100 km of skiing these boots are breaking in properly.

Heel keeps in place quite well after switching to waxed laces instead of cotton ones. Coldest temperature of using these boots has been around -10° Celsius and no frostbites with one liner sock.

Sizing: My shoe size is normally EUR 42,5 to 43 but after reviews I ordered size EUR 42 and that's a perfect fit with one sock. Probably would fit also thin wool sock, but it hasn't been that cold so far. My foot width is D (ice hockey skates) but there's still some room left for wider width. Toe box has also quite much room and my toes aren not crushed in shoe.

Overall I really enjoy these boots and they are very good replacement for old Asolos. Flex is loose enough for skiing yet stiff enough for telemark turns. I ski with Madshus Epoch skis with Rottefella Riva bindings.

Mikko Leinonen

Rovaniemi, Finland

Alpina.jpg

Welcome to Trailspace, Mikko. Thanks for reviewing your boots. Do you have any pictures of them?

Mikko Leinonen

Cheers G00SE. Review updated with picture.

Great! Thank you.

Welcome to Trailspace, Mikko! Thanks for sharing your first review and picture with us. I hope you're having a good winter in Finland.

Ultimate off-trail x-country boot. I have been an…

Summary

Ultimate off-trail x-country boot.

Pros

• Performance
  • Value
  • Comfort
  • Warmth
  • Durability
  • Not a telemark boot

Cons

• Insoles
  • Not a telemark boot (if that is what you are looking for)

I have been an avid nordic skier for more than 30 years. My everyday skiing is off-trail x-country through rolling terrain (with the occasional steep climb and decent). Although I appreciate 75mm telemark equipment when I truly need it; I find it agonizingly inefficient compared to NNNBC for most of the skiing I do.

Recently I have struggled to find the perfect boot. I have tried the Rossi BC line; like it; but not enough support. I have been using the Fischer BCX6 for two seasons; love the performance; but they hurt my feet. The Fischers' flex point squeezes my toes and metatarsus.

So far; the Alpina Alaska is the best NNNBC boot I have tried. Incredible comfort; impressive support; excellent stability; excellent stride and glide.

I am currently using this boot with NNNBC magnum bindings; Madshus Eon, and Annum skis.

I now have more than 200 kilometres in these boots. The comfort and support continue to impress me. As far as performance; these boots excel at what hey are designed to be: a heavy-duty, off-trail, kick and glide x-country boot. They stride and glide beautifully.

As far as downhill performance; despite how burly they are; snow conditions can severely limit what you can do in this boot. Now I realize that this is also partly due to the limitations of a NNNBC binding (versus a 75mm tele). But if the snow is hard-packed, and/or there is a thick crust; this boot is not strong enough to adequately steer a ski in a telemark turn.

However; if the snow is soft; I have consistently managed to steer some sweet tele turns; even on the Madshus Annum (109mm-78mm-95mm). I really don't think that a 75mm telemark binding would make that much of a difference. If the terrain and snow conditions require a lot of rigid strength to turn the ski; the boot will fail (this boot is designed for striding; not steering).

However; this boot is perfect for my everyday skiing: off-trail, backcountry, kick and glide, xcountry. And for that; the NNNBC binding is a perfect mate. When the snow conditions are too harsh; I simply am a bit more strategic with my descents.

Durability: after more than 2 hundred kilometers. Overall, durability is impressive. The standard insoles are inadequate; they have little support and they gradually slide back as you ski. The lace system is excellent; however the cleats are hard on the laces. The cleats, coupled with no lace cover; cause the laces to wear. I would definitely recommend bringing an extra set of laces if you were headed out for a multi-day trip.

Welcome to Trailspace, Gareth! Thanks for sharing your helpful ski gear reviews. I hope you'll keep us updated on how they (and your other gear) continue to perform.