Alpina Woody

A decent out your back door, State park type ski for…

Summary

A decent out your back door, State park type ski for a little deeper snow.

Pros

• Good construction
  • Good glide
  • Turn well

Cons

• None that I could find so far

I saw these on the Internet as a shop display model, unused but with mounting holes. I enjoyed my Alpina Trackers, so I decided that maybe a backup pair of cheap, wider skis might be worthwhile for larger snow dumps and for when I am in state parks and remote out-the-back-door trips.

I haven't used them yet, and will update when I do.

They share good build quality with the Alpina Trackers I already have, with the same sturdy "Scuff-Tuff" top sheet, which I found very edge-resistant. It is a pretty decent-looking ski also.

I've been told they are a very similar ski to the more popular Alpina Discovery only with a wood core instead of the Densolite foam core. It is a wider backcountry style I will look forward to exploring with.

Just recently used them after we got a foot of snow. Used them in the Blue Hills Reservation in Milton, Mass., and skied single track and carriage paths. They climb steeper terrain well, track good and have decent glide as they are double cambered. On the return trip I had to ski down an access road and they held the snow well and allowed me to maneuver around and through footprints and snow shoot holes.

I also tried out Atomic Sierras the day before and I would say these are almost as good, but don't turn as well,Well maybe a tad less. Can't go wrong if you find a set of these in decent shape.

beungood

As a supplement to my critique above I used these this winter after we had several feet of snow. They worked as I thought were good in deep snow ,glide well and helped me manage icy downhills. Very well made ski.

1 year ago

Full steel edges on the Alpina Woody Ski give this backcountry touring stick the bite needed to make turns down the hill without flopping over like a ragdoll. A retro look compliments state-of-the-art construction to create a beautiful performance cross-country ski.

This Alpina ski offers a retro look and contemporary materials for a premier grade ski throughout. The Woody is a lively BC ski equally at home as a solid platform for touring. Made with renewable resources. PRODUCT FEATURES: Width: 68-60-65mm Wood Core Cap Construction Full Steel Edges Non-wax Posi-grip Oversize item: Additional shipping fees apply.

- Appalachian Outdoors

Alpina Woody

The Woody has been discontinued.

The Alpina Woody is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen December 2, 2012 at Backcountry.com.

If you're looking for a new nordic touring ski, check out the best reviewed current models.