Bergans Rondane 6L

Weight 580 g / 1 lb 5 oz (with Source 2 L hydration system)
Volume 6 L / 370 cu in
User height 150 – 200 cm / 59.1 – 78.7 in

The Bergans Rondane 6 L hydration pack is a new low-profile…

Source: received for testing via the Trailspace Review Corps (Sample provided by Bergans for testing and review)

Summary

The Bergans Rondane 6 L hydration pack is a new low-profile pack that is built for high motion activities, such as trail running, hiking, skiing/snowboarding, kayaking, or mountain biking. It features Bergans’ RS3 (Rock Steady) Stability System, which comfortably stabilizes the pack to your back, while allowing airflow and breathability by using ventilating foam covered in mesh.

What sets the Rondane 6 apart from other hydration packs is that it uses a five strap system to lock the pack to your back, so that it stays in place and does not bounce around.

Pros

• Stable (stays on your back, does not bounce)
  • Available in nice colors
  • Low profile

Cons

• Not enough zippered security pockets/pocket space
  • Bottom sternum strap uncomfortable for women

The Bergans Rondane 6 is a unisex hydration pack that weighs 21 ounces and is made of 210 denier Velocity Nylon. Its six liter capacity is enough to hold two liters of water and a few other small necessities for whatever outdoor adventure you are heading on.

It comes with a Source 2 L Hydration System, which has a zip top and a twist top bite valve that seals to prevent leakage. It is built with Bergans’ patented RS3 suspension system, which provides ample support and keeps the pack stabilized against your back and shoulders.

157.jpg

About the tester:

I am a 5'4" 30-year-old female from South Carolina. I stay active by hiking, kayaking, skiing/snowboarding, and running.

Testing Conditions:

I have used the Bergans Rondane 6 over the last two months in a variety of activities and temperatures. In March, I went to Jackson, Wyo., and tested it skiing at Jackson Hole Mountain Resort and snowmobiling in Yellowstone National Park. It was wonderful for skiing and snowmobiling. It was the perfect size for both activities.

011.jpg

I really didn’t even notice that it was there most of the time because it was so light and it stayed in place so well. It seemed like a part of my back, not like an accessory. It was low profile enough that I could have worn it under my jacket, but I chose to wear it on the outside in case I needed to quickly access something. It wore very comfortably and felt very stable.

IMG_3487.png

I had to shed a light fleece pullover (Patagonia R1) while skiing and was happy to see that there was enough room to stuff that into the pack.

(Rondane 6 with a 2 L water bladder and a Patagonia R1 Pullover stuffed in it)

One surprising thing that I noticed about the Rondane 6 is that it is very water-resistant. After a full day of getting hammered by wet snow, all of the contents in the Bergans Rondane stayed completely dry.

012.jpg

I also took the pack on several day hikes and trail runs in the southern Appalachian Mountains. I had similar results with these excursions — it stayed in place very well and it was very supportive.

165.jpg

My only major gripe during the testing period was that I really wished it had more pockets.

022.jpg

It has only one zippered pocket and it is really small. I was nervous for my small loose items to fall out of the pack when I had to unzip it. When I took it day hiking and trail running, I usually took two liters of water, my Patagonia Houdini wind shell, iPhone, camera, headlamp, Therm-a-Rest Lite Seat, and Clif Shot Blok Energy Chews.

Fit:

The Rondane 6 fit me very comfortably and snug. The only issue that I had with the fit aspect was the second sternum strap being placed too high. Most of the time I just did not fasten it. It is so small that I didn't even notice it was there for a while!

156.jpg

017.jpg
Here you can see what it looks like on a man. You can probably imagine why a lady would not care to wear it.

What separates the Rondane 6 from all other hydration packs is its five strap stabalization system:

018.jpg
015.jpg

Five stabilizing straps: Two chest straps, one waistbelt, and two under arm straps

Comfort:

All of the adjustable straps fit comfortbly and are supportive enough. The foam shoulder straps are very thin, but were the perfect size to handle the size loads I was carrying.

Capacity:

The six liter pack is primarily for hydration, but it does have room for a few small items. I typically carried a shell, a seat, snacks, headlamp, and my phone. I was able to stuff a small pullover when there was nothing else but water in it.

017.jpg

Organization & Accessibility:

The Rondane 6 is a top loading pack that only has one zippered pocket. For me, this was an issue because I was not able to secure some of my small items. I did not like that all of the items were randomly flopping around with the possibility of falling out. More pockets would certainly make it more organized.

Ride:

I was very impressed with the ride of the Rondane 6. It stayed attached to my back and never bounced. It was plenty supportive and the weight distribution was even. As I said earlier, most of the time I did not notice I was wearing it.

163.jpg

Features:

Source 2L Reservoir:

Zip enclosure reservoir:

"Grab Strap" and hydration tube port:

Reflective strips on the front and on the back straps:

Straps have small pockets for storing the hydration hose and a small item:

Ventilated foam padded back panel:

Under the armpit strap:
 013.jpg

Water Resistance:

I didn't anticipate it being water-resistant, but I was pleasantly surprised when I was in a full day snow storm and my pack stayed dry on the inside. So, when I got home, I sprayed it down with a water hose to see just how water-resistant it was and what was causing it to resist the water.

019.jpg

020.jpg

When I opened it up, everything was dry. I am assuming it was from this waterproof liner in the front of the pack.

023.jpg

Construction and Durability:

The Bergans Rondane 6 is very well made. The 210 denier Velocity Nylon is very tough. I tried to snag it several times on branches, but it never tore. Embarrassingly, I must admit that it survived LOTS of tumbles on the first day of the skiing, as well. I see no durability issues whatsoever.

Conclusion:

The Bergans Rondane 6 is a really nice, incredibly stable hydration pack which would most commonly be used for hiking, trail running, cycling, or skiing, where you only want to carry water and a few small items. Its five strap system and RS3 suspension system make it incredibly stable for any uneven terrain you might encounter. It provides a very smooth ride because it stays on your back and shoulders and does not bounce off of them. I would recommend this pack, as long as you are aware that there is only one pocket.

Thank you for taking the time to read my review of the Bergans Rondane 6. Thank you to Bergans of Norway and Trailspace for giving me the opportunity to test and review this great pack.

Another great review, Ashleigh! Thanks for sharing it.

Ashleigh MODERATOR

Thanks so much, Goose!

Nice job, Ashleigh. I like the look of this pack, but expect the unisex fit would not work as well for me either. Otherwise, I'd check it out for running and biking.

Devil Dog

Fantastic review, very informative with GREAT pictures!! KUDOS

lthomas055

Nice job!

soleful2001

nice review and the photos were very helpful.

Ashleigh MODERATOR

Thank you, all!

KiwiKlimber

Nice review! Thanks for highlighting the 5-strap system. I must admit, when seeing the photos of it fully strapped, the first thing that came to mind was a straight jacket. I guess it's doing it's job though.

Seth Levy TRAILSPACE STAFF

Cool review Ashleigh! I've been curious about Bergans packs for a while.

Lah

Great review Ashleigh! Yes, your pictures make it very plain to see why the sternum straps would be a little awkward for a woman :)

Bergans Rondane 6L

The Bergans Rondane 6L is not available from the stores we monitor.

If you're looking for a new hydration pack, check out the best reviewed current models.