Burton Groton Down Jacket

I'll stick to gear and hardshells with burton. I received…

Summary

I'll stick to gear and hardshells with burton.

Pros

• Incredibly warm
  • Stylish
  • Simple

Cons

• Very strong down odor
  • Scratch arm cuffs

I received this jacket for Christmas last year, and have since had the time to use it quite often in Utah during the truly cold days.  I haven't used it extensively in the backcountry or for snowboarding, as I don't wear much except a shell, but in cold conditions, I've been able to see just how this performs.

The jacket has a great feel to it, it's very simple and comfortable, no frills, and looks great.  I love the hood, the fit, the square stitched panels, and it's incredibly warm.  I wore it yesterday in 0 degree temps and it was great.  My face and legs (jeans) froze, but my torso and arms were toasty.

However, there are some issues with this thing.  First, it smelled awful after the first few uses.  Out of the box, no odor.  After 3 uses or so, it smelled horrible.  I bought Nikwax Down Wash and washed it, dried it with dryer sheets, hung it outside to air out for days, and nothing got rid of it.  Leaving it in a closet all summer was somewhat effective, but I can still smell a faint down smell, normal for a jacket of lower quality 550 fill, but still, it shouldn't take a year to get the smell out of it to the point where it's wearable.

Second, the cuffs, which are elastic, are nice, and fit well, but have something scratchy in them that is annoying at times.

Overall, the jacket serves its purpose.  It keeps me warm on bitter cold days, and looks good while doing so.  I probably wouldn't buy again, but would look for a higher-end Mountain Hardwear down parka, for the price that my parents paid (~100), it's not a bad deal.

Visit Burton's Groton Down Jacket page.

Layered, or worn alone, you'll dig the sick look and performance of the Men's Burton Groton Down Jacket. A durable water repellant (DWR) treated nylon shell does battle with snow and rain, while the plump 550-fill down eradicates cold and bitterness. An insulated fulltime Contour hood keeps the melon warm, as an elastic hem and cuffs help seal the other openings. Old school quilting hides entertaining and functional features like pit zips and a zippered chest pocket. Fleece lined zippered handwarmer pockets let your fingers get in on the action as well. The relaxed fit helps trap warm air, and lets you slide a layer or two beneath the parka. You don't have to be a prep school grad to know that the Groton Down Jacket for men from Burton is one wicked puffy.

- Altrec Outlet

Burton Groton Down Jacket

The Burton Groton Down Jacket is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen August 26, 2013 at Altrec Outlet.

If you're looking for a new down insulated jacket, check out the best reviewed current models.