Canada Goose Expedition Parka

Overall quality of the jacket is good. Arms are cold.

Source: received it as a personal gift

Summary

Overall quality of the jacket is good. Arms are cold.

Pros

• Awesome hood
  • Good fit

Cons

• Cold arms

Got my Expedition jacket as a birthday gift. Jacket was purchased from an authorized retail store. Always wanted one, but thought it was too expensive ($800).

I have worn it several times from -10° to -50° (wind chill). Hood and body were good, but my arms were cold in all temperatures. Doesn't make sense. Have to wear a fleece jacket under it to keep my arms warmer. I can actually feel spots in the arms where there is only fabric. This is NOT a knockoff jacket.

I have snowmobile jackets that are warmer at 1/4 the price. I expected great things from this jacket. Very disappointed. :(

The absolute best parka available anywhere in the…

Price Paid: $830 CAN

Summary

The absolute best parka available anywhere in the world.

Pros

• Superior warmth
  • Built to last a lifetime

Cons

• Very expensive
  • Have to dry clean

I live in Winnipeg, Canada, where the temperature regularly goes down to -35 C. A few days last winter, the windchill brought the temperature down to -45 C. I work outside in this weather, sometimes for as long as 12 hours straight. Every single person I work with wears Canada Goose. You have to. There is nothing else that comes close.

Most people wear the Expedition, as I do. Some wear the Resolute, and one or two wear the Snow Mantra. But you're getting over $1,000 for the Snow Mantra, and the warmth is pretty much the same as the Expedition.

People here have complained about "cold arms" with Canada Goose. Nonsense. They might be thinking of a parka like the North Face McMurdo, which sells for half the price, and is about half as warm. And fits oddly for most people. And has a hood that is simply useless. And lets drafts in from the top, bottom, and wrists.

If you can afford the Canada Goose Expedition, buy it. By the way, I know many, many people in Winnipeg who have had Canada Goose parkas that have lasted them decades. I had my last one for 34 years, and handed it down to my son. When I bought that one, the company was called "Snow Goose", and their parkas were essentially the same as Canada Goose's.

Believe me, in Winnipeg, you can see tons and tons of people still wearing their old Snow a Goose parkas. My old one is still in excellent condition, as just as warm as ever. No rips or tears or stains anywhere. Bought a brand new Expedition recently which will surely be the last parka I ever have to buy.

Cold arms are the usual problem with any CG jacket.

Summary

Cold arms are the usual problem with any CG jacket.

Pros

• Warm somehow

Cons

• Heavy
  • Cold spot
  • Not so durable
  • Hideously expensive and not worth the money
  • CG became a fashion brand.
  • Not the best fill power available.

The arms are always cold in CG jacket. Reasons:

• There's no vertical baffles in the sleeves. Consequence: the down shild behind the joint, leaving no insulation in the front.
  • The sewing is stitch-through and not baffled, leaving cold spots everywhere.

I should mention that I bought the jacket from an official retailer in Canada. It was absolutely not a fake. Of course it is warm but its weight is something like 4 lbs and there are many brands out there much cheaper, much better. I repeat, CG became a fashion brand.

Top of the line for really cold weather. If it's the…

Summary

Top of the line for really cold weather. If it's the real thing.

Canada Goose parkas are the standard for cold weather gear, but the descriptions you see of some of them suggest that people are buying cheap knockoffs. Real Canada Goose gear has no cold spots and is well-designed to keep its excellent down fill in place.

Because of its incredible reputation in really cold climates, and the high price of the real thing, there are a number of companies around (notably Chinese) selling them online or through discount outlets. Look on the 'Canada Goose' website for information on piracy issues.

If someone is selling an 'Expedition' for $295, you can bet it's a phony.

cold spots on inside of arms !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have…

Price Paid: £650

Summary

cold spots on inside of arms !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pros

• fantastic quality made parka

Cons

• nowhere near enough down in the arm area !!!!!!

I have a resolute smock that i think feels 10 times warmer in the arms than the CG expedition parka i own, so i'm having the arms lined in Dryactive 3000 top to bottom...or shall i sell the CG Expedition and buy a warm coat instead????

The product is excellent but if you have a problem…

Price Paid: $700+

The product is excellent but if you have a problem and have to deal with Customer Service, you are out of luck. They have been "looking into" replacing the fur on my parkas for over 2 months. Every time I call them, they say they will get back to me and then do not. It upsets me that I paid so much money for the parkas (I have 2 of them) and I cannot get satisfaction. They should take lessons from Sportchek who went beyond the call of duty to help me get a $100 jacket!!!

i purchased this parka for this season and so far…

i purchased this parka for this season and so far i'm very impressed. The number of pockets lets me lose my keys and the down is super warm. I'm very impressed with the fur rough which seems to block blowing wind very well, but allows me to see where i'm going.

I've only worn the coat in about -15c, but haven't had any issues. The extra wind blocking belt is great, and the hand-warming fleece pockets are perfect.

I liked this coat so much i had to get my wife one as well (although, i got her a Mystique instead of the Expedition).

I like fairly cold weather (-20 to -40 F). If you…

Fill: down

I like fairly cold weather (-20 to -40 F). If you don't dress carefully, those temps can kill you, but the Expedition parka makes being outside a pleasure. Yes, it's down-filled, so if you fall through the ice and get wet you'd better think fast about how to stay warm (wet down won't do it), but other than that it's a superb coat--tough, lots of features and pockets, and warm as all get-out. A good parka keeps your core warm, which makes it much easier to keep your extremities warm.

When the weather's warm, say 20F, all I need is one thermal layer underneath, and I will frequently unzip the parka all the way open and use only a pair of liner gloves. With good boots and mittens, snowpants, longjohns, and fleece, I've actually slept outside in this parka at 15F on a pool lounge chair by cinching the snowskirt to keep the wind out and pulling the big snorkel hood down over my face.

Sometimes you really do get what you pay for--genuine Canada Goose parkas are expensive, but they deliver on their slogan "Ask anyone who knows." The Expedition's not much good above 25 degrees F, but for sub-zero weather it's by far the best investment I've ever made and worth every penny. The generous hood ruff is real fur, which works much better than fake fur for cutting wind and resisting icing. Plus, it irritates the veggie crowd.

For extreme cold, none better! Hood coverage is exceptional.

Price Paid: $500 plus

For extreme cold, none better! Hood coverage is exceptional. Long stretch inside cuffs eliminate sleeve wind and cold wrists. Many pockets, well placed. Love the handwarmer liners, too. Shell resists moisture.

I am female and do NOT like the fact that this model, the Expedition, is only cut for men. Does not fit well on females with broad hips. If you get correct fit for upper body, the hip girth may be too narrow. CG, are you listening????? An option is Resolute that supposedly has a cut for women that is a little better. I own three CG parkas and would buy nothing else.

Beware, buyers, there are MANY fakes listed on Ebay.

I purchased this coat because I like being outdoors…

Price Paid: $609.00 CAN

I purchased this coat because I like being outdoors in winter, whether it be walking around the city or snow-shoeing in the woods. The jacket felt great at first, but when the temperature went below -10C (14F) and became windy, as if often does in Quebec, I felt cold spots on my arms. Then I noticed that the down fill was thin from the biceps to the crux of the arms.

The other day when it dropped to -20C and it was windy I could feel the cold going right through, even though I had a long-sleeve shirt and wool sweater on underneath. I tried contacting Canada Goose through their website message service but received no answer, so I returned it to the retailer and they agreed that the jacket seemed faulty and should be returned.

The catch is the people at CG are overwhelmed at the moment since their jackets have become such a hot item, as the store manager explained, and that it'll be at least a month before they get back to me. Even then, chances are they won't have any more coats until August 2010, seven months from now.

I haven't heard anything but good things about this jacket, which is why I decided to purchase it. However, from other reviews I've read it seems that the company is poor at keeping up with demand. And even though they have a reputation for producing top-quality jackets, evidently they're prone to screw up a few from time to time. "Ask anyone who knows." Well, I know.

If you've owned or used a Canada Goose Expedition Parka, please share your experience.

Canada Goose Expedition Parka

currently retails for:

where to buy:

men's
Shell Fabric 195 gsm, Arctic-Tech 85% polyester /15% cotton blend with a DWR.
Lining Fabric 55 gsm, Nylon plain weave treated with water repellent finish.
Fill 625 fill power white duck down.