Chaco Z/1 Unaweep

While heavier than expected, the comfortable footbed…

Price Paid: From wife, $60 Sierra Trading Post deal

Summary

While heavier than expected, the comfortable footbed makes for a great fit. Recommend for daily use, water activities, but may be too much for a several mile hike.

Pros

• Contoured footbed
  • High quality sole
  • One strap design (pro and con)

Cons

• Heavy (>1lb each)
  • One strap design (pro and con)
  • Lengthy buckle strap
  • Pricey

Had these for a few weeks now (winter) and I enjoy these sandals. I think I'm well rounded in that I currently have Crocs, Teva (Toachi 2, also reviewed) and these Chacos...and there's a perfect situation for each.

Size and Design

The sizing is accurate, though if you decide to purchase online as I did, trying them on in the store would be wise. I wear size 9D, regular width, in trail runners and my Tevas. The same holds true for these, a 9 worked perfect. My arch is regular to flat and I have not encountered any problems. Any flatter of a foot and I would need their wide design.

Footbed

The footbed reminds me of Birkenstock sandals that I had a few years ago. These contour to the bottom of my foot even more than my Crocs or Tevas. The heel is slightly elevated when compared to the level of the foot and may take some break in time to get used to it. This is true of the footbed in the middle of the sandal. It is elevated so that instead of being flat-footed, it cradles the middle of the arch on the bottom of my foot. It may feel odd at first, but it does keep your foot in more of a natural position; another reason I began to like them more and more.

"Sole" Purpose in Life

The sole of the sandal is Vibram rubber. When it comes to soles, they are the cream of the crop. While the sandal may appear to be made of one solid rubber, the sole composes about 1/4 to 3/8 of an inch and the remainder is what the footbed is made off. While the footbed contours, the sole is flatter than expected. My Tevas have more of a curved bottom like a sneaker and running or jogging while wearing those is more of an option. For these Z/1's, that may take getting used to as you may be "flopping" the sandal as it is flatter. For me, not a con as I don't use it for anything other than walking pace.

They will make you look "strapping"

The strap design is very interesting as the straps which go across the top of the foot are actually just ONE strap and they each tighten off one another and loops around through the unseen "belly" of the sandal. Slip your foot in, tighten the front portion of the strap and move backwards to your heel.  This is where a common con is with these sandals. Excess strap length on the heel buckle strap. It is long so that it can be loosened and your foot can go in easily. Once tightened and pulled back, the strap is extra long and for me touched the ground.  Imagine someone with a 40 inch waist suddenly lost 10 inches, poof, their belt would have extra slack once tightened. THAT is the issue.

For me the solution was simple: just sew the strap shorter! I sewed it shorter, yet long enough that when I loosened the strap, my foot could still slip in. I folded the strap about an inch and sewed it up.  See the pictures below. I decided against cutting and using a flame to singe, just because it's easy to undo my stitching if needed and then I would still have the solid factory end piece.

I have been wearing these with some socks (yeah, I'm that guy) and the Z/1 were the right option as the Z/2 design has a toe loop and socks wouldn't be possible. Even with wool socks my size 9's still fit fine, not too snug; again, keep in mind you can control how tight or loose you want the ENTIRE sandal to be through the single strap design (loose front, tight back, not a problem).

When to wear?

Coming back to my original thoughts of Crocs, Tevas, and Chacos. My Crocs are a great option for everyday wear be it after a sporting event or relaxing at a campsite, they are the best lightweight option. My Tevas are fantastic all around. If I want to run or walk, stay dry or wet, my Teva Toachi 2 are a good fit and they are in the middle ground of weight (more than Crocs, less than Chacos).

These Chacos I know will be around longer than my Crocs and Tevas as long as I take care of the straps, making sure they don't fray. Since they are heavier I won't be running or taking on long hikes (over 2lbs for both), but dry or wet conditions they will serve you well.

Full price these are $100, but deals can be found elsewhere.  They may be heavy, but the excellent construction, durability and comfort are apparent.  I'd recommend.

Folded back and sewed, no additional cost!

Side view of amount I sewed back (the double fold is the original, untouched strap end)

G00SE

I've found a good number of people use these for thru hikes on the Appalachian Trail. Though I like the idea, I know the moment a peppel gets between my foot and the sandal, I'm going to have to stop and fix it.

Daniel Oates

Same here. I enjoy hiking with some trail runners now as opposed to heavier shoes or sandals. They're light, can have inserts if needed, but of course don't have ankle support so I just need to be mindful. Some people swear by them for long hikes, but as for the weight, pebble situation, susceptible open foot top, it's not for me. Thanks for the info G00SE on others' preferences and how versatile these sandals can be for various people.

A retail employee and outdoor enthusiast's best friend,…

Summary

A retail employee and outdoor enthusiast's best friend, the Chaco Z/1 is a great performance and casual sandal for everyday or active use.

• Supportive
  • Great tread/traction
  • Good looking
  • Resoleable

Cons

• Unaweep poor for water/slickrock
  • Webbing sticks at times

I've had my Z/1s for one year. I always heard of people having Chacos and loving them, so I figured I had to try them. I found these on sale at the Whole Earth Provision Co. near the UT campus in Austin. After one year and many other shoes coming and going, they are my shoe of choice for 3 out of 4 occasions both work and play.

Chacos are definitely an acquired taste. If you're not used to a hefty, supportive sport sandal, then they require some adjustment the first several times you wear them, both in your foot muscles and in the actual securing of your foot to the foot bed. The arch is very pronounced and supports your foot very well.

For someone who wore Chuck Taylors for three years straight, the arch was uncomfortable at first, but soon help my feet regain their more natural shape (my foot even shrunk a half size). I usually wear a 10.5, but Chacos come in whole sizes only. Chaco sizing is long, so a 10 is perfect for me with stub-room to spare.

The foot bed is PU, so it is firm (and heavy when compared to EVA) but has some cushioning for all-day comfort. The ports where the heel strap risers exit the foot bed are raised and were a different feeling for my foot, but they do serve to anchor your foot laterally.

I never had any blistering or much rubbing, but it did take two weeks before my feet and the foot bed were best friends. The foot bed has a cross-hatch of channels that run the entire surface and act as conduits for sweat to evaporate. These can get pretty funky, but a paper clip or toothpick with water in the tub are enough to clean them up nicely.

The webbing adjustment system is so unique and ingenious. It is secure, and, when properly tightened, keeps my foot very stable. The webbing runs through molded channels between the foot bed and the outsole, so dirt and grit can get in there, making the straps hard to move. With some elbow grease, one can "floss" the webbing back and forth and clean out the channels and free the webbing. The webbing is soft and feels nice on my feet, but is also rugged and stands up to plenty of indoor and outdoor abuse.

The Unaweep tread is deep and luggy giving great traction on gravel, dirt, dry rock face, and most anything else. I noticed when walking in lakes or rivers with slimy rocks that my foot did slip quite a bit. I bought the Unaweep because I wanted them more for hiking/general use; the Yampa sole is better for water activities for those so inclined.

I'm stoked because ReChaco will replace the outsoles when they wear out ($40), so it's cheaper than a new pair, I can use my Chacos for many more years, and it keeps them out of the landfill!

I also own a pair of Z/2s. I mostly reserve those for hiking, whereas the Z/1s I use for work (8+ hours on my feet in a retail job) and grocery shopping, hanging out with friends, walking the dog, etc. The lack of toe loop on the Z/1 offers more comfort but less stability in uneven terrain, but if you hate the toe loop and still want to hike in a Chaco, the Z/1 will still get the job done.

After a hike, I use my Z/1s as a recovery shoe with a pair of SmartWool socks, and my feet rejoice everytime! With a pair of socks (Sockos), they even gain the coveted 4-season distinction in my arsenal (Texas is probably better suited for Sockos than Duluth or Juneau).

I can't rave enough about Chacos. They are my favorite shoe. My partner probably wishes I wouldn't wear them out to dinner, but what can I say, I love them too much!

image.jpg

*I am an employee at Whole Earth Provision Co. in Dallas. My views do not necessarily represent the views of Whole Earth Provision Co. or its employees. I pride myself in providing unbiased reviews of products I purchase for my personal use.

From Z/2 to Z/1 and a lot happier! Let me preface…

Price Paid: $70 amazon

Summary

From Z/2 to Z/1 and a lot happier!

Pros

• No toe strangulation
  • Same Chaco feel
  • General everythingness

Cons

• None

Let me preface this review by saying, I am super biased, I love Chacos and no other sandals can even compare in the least bit.

I switched from a Z/2 to a Z/1 recently, because I kept getting toe strangulation no matter how I adjusted the toe loop strap. I finally yanked it all the way down, resolving only to bring it up on hikes. However that soon started to cause to problems beneath my big toe. Affectionately I sold them on Ebay, and picked up the same size (8) in the Z/1.

Best decision of my life! Chacos are really the only shoe that I can honestly wear all day, everyday, in every situation. With the LUVseat platform strapped on me I feel supported and invincible! I thought that without my beloved toe strap my hiking would be impacted, but that has certainly not been the case in the least. The only real difference is that the straps are a bit thicker than the Z/2 which is something they don't tell you really on the website.

Now let me tell you about the performance. Chacos are the only sandal, THE ONLY SANDAL, that can stand up to all day abuse, in town, on the trail, the river, or any other situation you can think of. I wear them as much as weather permits here in Utah, and without fail year round when I visit my family in Vegas. I also use and abuse them at Lake Mead and around the local trails. They are the only sandal to never give me any wear problems as far as fit, and function. They also do not wear down at all! They still look as fresh as they day I bought them.

I have worn sandals my whole life, growing up in Vegas and going to Lake Mead almost weekly (especially in the summer) and I used to wear another brand of sandal before I heard about Chacos. Lets just call them 'Steva's'. With the hiking, and boating and abuse I put them through, I was lucky to get a summer's use out of them. Straps would rip out at the eyelets, toe pieces ripped entirely off, velcro that would degrade from the sand. It was hopeless at times. And honestly I don't know if I could ever go back to 'Stevas' now that my eyes have been opened.

Bottom line, I will be buried in my Chacos and if luck has it the way that these ones are holding up, it might even be my original pair.

Good, supportive sandal that has been with me for…

Summary

Good, supportive sandal that has been with me for a long time. I recommend this sandal to anyone who spends at least one weekend a year out of doors.

Pros

• Sturdy
  • Simple

Cons

• Stinky

I bought this shoe 7 years ago when all of my buddies had already got them. Following the crowd is recommended at times, and these sandals are a great shoe. The single strap system is what I would call "neat."  Does it make these shoes? Not by itself. Everything about these shoes makes them what they are.

The strap is great to evenly distribute support to your foot. The supportive sole is protection from the ground, and the soft, strong straps will never abrade your ankles with sand or water even with extended use. I have taken these shoes through caves, on mountain blitzes (not real mountaineering, but in UT they'll call anything a mountain), as my sole pair of shoes for my honeymoon backpacking trip where I packed way too much.

These shoes are the most stable sandals there are, and have in some respects done better than tennis shoes on bouldering and climbing ladders in the Oil city to LaPush hike, and slogging through knee-deep mud in the Dugualla Bay of Whidbey Island.  They won't fall off your feet even if the mud is sucking at your shoes. Great traction, and how can you beat them for stream crossing?

The only time they don't work is when you know that all sides of your feet will be getting constant abuse. Read: I did not take them on the Zion Narrows through-hike, because I knew that slippery river rocks would eventually get the best of my ankles. I wore well-vented tennis shoes.

The cons? Simple. Everybody knows that Chaco foot smell. And for what it's worth, after 7 years the soles have delaminated a bit. I'm ok with that.

Chacos are boot on the bottom and sandal on top! These…

Source: received it as a personal gift

Summary

Chacos are boot on the bottom and sandal on top! These things grip in the water and on the land, desert and mountain! I recommend these to thru hikers and day hikers, paddlers and cyclists, and they are great for travel too!

Pros

• simple design
  • durable as hell
  • excellent arch support
  • multi-sport appropriate

Cons

• a little heavy
  • no toe protection

The strap design combined with the super-supportive footbed combined with the Vibram sole make these sandals second to none.

All day comfort from the hostel to the trail to the put-in to the take-out to the pub and then on to the fine dining.

More support than most orthotics. These sandals actually become the last resort for folks desperate for sandals but bound by doctor's orders to their orthotics. Chaco offers so much arch in their footbed that orthotics can often be replaced entirely.

These sandals are wonderful for rafting, kayaking, canoeing, and standup paddle boards. When negotiating slippery rocks and roots at put ins and take outs these sandals offer good traction. When moving around the boat these sandals are not bulky so negotiating thwarts and gear is easy.

The Z/1, as opposed to the Z/2 model, can be worn with socks in the cold and without in the warm.

(I own The Badass Outdoors Gear Shop and do sell these sandals in my store. The reason I sell these sandals is because I USE these sandals for almost every adventure and they keep on working for me.)

Have these plus the flip flops. I have these plus…

Source: bought it used

Summary

Have these plus the flip flops.

Pros

• unsurpassed arch support

Cons

• heavy

I have these plus the flip flops and and they're the only footwear that provides the arch support I need. I just wish I could have them in an ultralight trail runner shoe.

I have 2 pairs of Z/1s with the Unaweep sole and 1…

I have 2 pairs of Z/1s with the Unaweep sole and 1 pair with the Colorado sole. I find the Unaweep soles keep up better. Colorado sole starts to bubble up.

Cannot live without my Chacos. Putting any other sandal on my feet is extremely uncomfortable. Chaco has been praised by the podiatry association for the construction of their sandals/shoes.

My only gripe: I have been wearing Chacos for years. In 2009 they started to outsource to China. I took great pride in the fact that I was buying an American made product. Apparently NOTHING is accomplished in Colorado anymore.

I needed a pair re-soled and instead they sent me a "like pair." Unfortunately the newest models have become more of a fashion statement. I would not purchase. Best bet is to find older models on eBay.

rated 4.50 of 5 stars All Z/1 Unaweep versions

In addition to the 7 men's reviews above, there are 2 reviews for other versions of the Z/1 Unaweep. Read all reviews »

If you've owned or used a Chaco Men's Z/1 Unaweep, please share your experience.