Deuter Aircontact 75+10

Weight 6 lb 6 oz / 2900 g
Capacity 4580 cu in / 75 L
Size 35 in x 16 in x 12 in / 90 cm x 40 cm x 30 cm
Material Deuter-Duratex

The Deuter Aircontact 75+10 pack is a great pack.

Summary

The Deuter Aircontact 75+10 pack is a great pack. It is a very comfortable pack with tons of features. The suspension is great and can carry a very heavy load comfortably. Best used for week+ trips or family backpacking trips. I love this pack and highly recommend it.

Pros

• Great suspension
  • Very comfortable hip belt
  • Rain cover included
  • Great access to the main compartment
  • Lifetime warranty

Cons

• It's a bit heavy

One thing that really sold me on this pack is the adjustable torso length. I love this feature. If you have family members who like to borrow your gear, this pack is great because it can be adjusted to just about any length. This makes the pack fit very well.

This model is designed for men. Deuter makes a model designed just for women as well. The comfort is amazing. The hip belt is very thick and great for people who are skinny and don't have extra cushion on their hips. The venting is good.

This is a large pack: 75+10, so you have 85 liters if you need them. It seems like a bottomless pit, you can put so much gear into it. The sleeping bag compartment and large U shaped zipper in front make the pack very accessible and easy to organize. The suspension makes it very stable and comfortable even with a very large load. If you don't need to use all of the 75 liters the pack compresses nicely with compression straps on both sides.

The pack is very easy to use and works as expected. I've had this pack for a year now and it seems to be very durable. The construction is very good, typical of German products. I normally use this pack on trips that are multi-day or when I take the kids and I carry some of their gear.

Overall I love this pack and recommend it to everyone. It is very comfortable and built to last.

Welcome to Trailspace, Jacob. Nice first review!

Thanks for sharing this review, Jacob. I agree that Deuter makes good packs.

Great pack for carrying heavy loads comfortably. My…

Summary

Great pack for carrying heavy loads comfortably.

Pros

• Great looking
  • Lots of room for gear
  • Many adjustable parts for custom fit and carry
  • Comfortable with all weights
  • Great price
  • Solid quality
  • Attached rain cover in bottom pocket

Cons

• Have experienced slight slippage of front straps when under heavy weight.
  • Map pocket is at back of pack. I use top packet instead.
  • Pack is heavy

My 3rd pack.

My favourite by far.

A little bit heavy, but I recently carried gear for a family of five, including two tents, two bags, two pads, and much of the food and water. Eish, about 60 lbs, but it carried very comfortably.

This is a large pack that is adjustable for regular sized to very large people. I'm 5'10" and my Friend is 6'3" and we both have one. We both are fans of this bag (I bought it because I witnessed his 1st trek with his new bag, and how comfortable it was for him). At completely different sizes and girth, our bags adjust to our respective sizes and we both find the bag to be very comfortable.

It says 75+10 and it absolutely holds it.

I've used my pack about 6 times in the last 6 months and the pack still looks like it has come off of the sales floor, however, I don't baby my gear. This bag is well built.

The construction is solid, stitching great, it carries great, can be easily packed. I love this pack.

I'm a woman who has used this pack for many years.

Price Paid: ~250 cdn

Summary

I'm a woman who has used this pack for many years. Its adjustable straps and padded harness are super comfy.

Pros

• Fully adjustable harness
  • Well balanced pack
  • Lots of room
  • Flexibility of use

Cons

• Pouches on the sides are almost useless

This backpacking mother needed a pack to carry my gear and most of my (at the time) young son's essentials. This pack is the most comfortable one I own.

It has velcro adjustments for the length of my back, a fully adjustable harness and a removable/replaceable hip belt. The cushy padding on the hip belt becomes essential with a heavy load and the extra 10 was acres of room for all we needed. The pack is not waterproof (it's water resistant) but the attached rain cover is hidden underneath and it does its job.

A small drawback is the side pouches. One would think they'd hold a one litre jug. No way! They fall out. This is annoying as they are a bit hard to reach while wearing the pack. Now I only use them for stuff I can strap in. My solution for water is a Platypus. There is a pouch for that inside the pack.

I've owned this pack for more than 10 years and it has held up really well. I continue to use it even though I don't fill it like I used to. Luckily the gear straps cinch the pack in for a smaller load and keep it nicely balanced. Additionally it has ice tool loops, so it has even more useful options.

When it is time to retire this pack I will consider this line again.

The Deuter Aircontact 75+10 is extremely comfortable,…

Price Paid: $225 on sale

Summary

The Deuter Aircontact 75+10 is extremely comfortable, especially when it comes to ventilation for such a large pack. It has a huge carrying capacity, easily capable of hauling 60+ lbs for multi-week or week long treks. Multiple compression straps let you adjust the pack for anything from expeditions sized loads to weekend getaways. The X-frame stays also do an exceptional job of distributing weight to the hips.

Pros

• Bombproof construction that should last a lifetime
  • Huge carrying capacity
  • Multiple external lash points
  • Integrated rain cover
  • Easy on-the-go adjustability
  • Very comfortable

Cons

• Not enough external organization.
  • A little on the heavy side at 6 lbs 6 oz

I'll start by saying; 1) this is not a pack for ultralighters since it's a bit large and on the heavy side for that purpose, and 2) I have a Kelty Coyote 4750cu/80L and the one thing I love about it is multiple external pockets that make organization so easy — a feature lacking on the Deuter. Okay, I have the only negatives I could come up with out of the way, so on to the good stuff...

Capacity: This pack is the equivalent of a walk-in closet and will easily hold all your gear.  Even better, it will hold all that gear with excellent weight distribution and comfort, making 60+ lbs feel more like 40 lbs.

The lid alone holds my water filter, first aid kit, camera, rain gear, a book and a small pair of field glasses, with room to spare.  The sleeping bag compartment easily holds my bag, a 3-man tent (with fly and footprint) and a Big Agnes insulated air mattress, and the main bag compartment holds everything else.  And beware - with so many lash points on the outside, you might be tempted to bring along the kitchen sink too!

Construction:  I've always liked it when my packs get that slightly used, broken-in look, but the construction of the Deuter is bombproof and shows no wear after a full season-and-a-half of backpacking (nearly every weekend from May through September). I've rubbed against decomposing granite while scrambling, had it roll about 60 ft down a 45% incline before being stopped by a tree, and had it soaked during a creek crossing, and it still looks new!  I expect it will last forever.

Comfort: Wow - and I thought my Kelty was comfortable!  The Deuter has incredible adjustability thanks to the multiple compression straps, the Variflex hip belt that moves with your hips, the v-shaped channel that pumps air up your back, ample padding and mesh on the back, hip belt and shoulder straps, and the super-easy Variquick adjustment on the harness (I've adjusted it with my bag stuffed to capacity).

Misc:  I like the integrated rain cover although some people might not. It detaches from the pocket on the bottom of the bag so you can go with or without it.  I'm not a big fan of the map pocket since it's difficult to access with the bag stuffed and the compression straps cinched tight.  However, the pocket on the hip belt is big enough for sunblock, lip balm, multi-tool, compass and a trail bar.

All in all, the Deuter Aircontact 75+10 is worth every penny of the suggested retail of $289 but you can find it for closer to $200 if you shop around. This is a super load hauler that surprised the hell out of me with its comfort and quality.  Way to go, Deuter!

I researched thoroughly and determined this model…

Summary

I researched thoroughly and determined this model was my best bet for strenuous, multi-day expeditions.

Pros

• Suspension system distributes weight efficiently and comfortably
  • Organization of pack's compartments helped me stay organized
  • Emotional value of everytime I utilized my bag I was reminded of how good this pack is
  • Adjustments to suspension system allow for shifting of weight distribution which keeps muscles from being taxed to exhaustion
  • Love the rain tarp and it having its own pocket! Very convenient!

Cons

• Maybe it is a little heavy, but it is a comfortable workhorse
  • The water bladder's velcro strap to hold the bladder up is not adequate for carrying the weight...eventually velcro fails and the bladder drops low into its compartment which is not ideal for load distribution
  • Wish it was made in either Germany or USA
  • Not enamored with my color options (I have green) but may grow to appreciate it

A trip on the Appalachian Trail confirmed that it is well-designed, comfortable, rugged and comfortable. The pack revealed its strength as the trip went on. Compartment organization was superb for me (I like to find gear when needed). It may not be a superlight, but the suspension system helps to lessen the pain of a heavy load.  Pack showed little wear after a demanding week.

I expect to have my Deuter for a long time. Looking forward to my next trip with this high performance pack!

***EDIT*** I just wanted to add that in 2010 I hiked…

Design: Top loading with divided sleeping bag compartment
Size: 85 liters
Number of Pockets: 6
Max. Load Carried: 50 lbs
Height of Owner: 5' 9"

Pros

• comfortable
  • great customer service
  • long lasting

Cons

• strap slippage
  • heavy

***EDIT*** I just wanted to add that in 2010 I hiked the entire Appalachian Trail with this pack. In doing so I have a few things to add in this review.

The stabilizer and tightening straps after awhile began to slip constantly... most other people's packs did this too after 6 days of 95 degree heat at 15 miles a day :) but these slipped the rest of the way to Katahdin, constantly adjusting the whole way:( Halfway through the AT at Harpers Ferry the bottom rung of the height adjuster ladder on the back snapped off, but the company sent me a new pack free of charge!!!

Overall I carried about 55 pounds average and had very little discomfort other than the strap slippage.  Still think it's a great pack but going with an ultralight pack for the PCT.

This pack is amazing for extended or multi-day use. I have packed it up to 50 pounds and felt very little discomfort over a 3 day trip to Kentucky's Red River Gorge.

It fits perfectly to most if not all body types, being that it is fully adjustable to height and girth. I have a relatively bigger upper body than my lower body and am only 5'9" and it adjusted with ease and stayed comfortable every time I've used it.

It has a feature I find to be very useful, the pouch up front that I have used for rain gear and other waterproof items that take up lots of room inside. The divided compartment for sleeping bags at the bottom is a must in my eyes. The built in rain cover (it's on the bottom in its own pouch) is a godsend when rain starts quick and you don't want to dig through pack to get the cover. The pocket on the hip belt comes in handy for small items that you use often i.e. chapstick, compass, whistle etc.

The only downfall I have come across is that it is a little heavier than some other bigger packs.

Altogether this has been a great pack so far and I would recommend it to any one trying to carry a pack that is not ultralight.

Wonderful backpack. Very comfortable. Had a lot of…

Price Paid: £169

Summary

Wonderful backpack. Very comfortable. Had a lot of room inside and many straps outside that you can attach you gear to them. Will advise that backpack to everyone.

Pros

• Strength
  • Volume
  • comfortable

Cons

• price

The best backpack I've ever had.

This thing is a comfortable tank! It's heavy. If you're…

Design: multi compartment internal
Size: 75 + 10
Number of Pockets: 6
Max. Load Carried: 70 lbs
Height of Owner: 72 inches

This thing is a comfortable tank! It's heavy. If you're looking to go lightweight, this is not where you need to be looking. However, if you're looking for a solid, well made pack with all of the bells and whistles, this is it. I prefer to use mine when I'm packing bulkier loads in colder weather or when I know it will be days before I can resupply.

The pack carries great. I have lighter packs that save weight, but this one really manages the load well. I've carried 60 lbs in this pack more comfortably than 25 lbs in lighter packs.

The suspension is highly adjustable and offers lots of options. The hydration access works well. A cover is actually included and attached. The pockets and compartments also allow you to load your pack in all sorts of different ways while still retaining access. I really hate the weight penalty, but I love the stability and comfort.

A hiking bag that is more spacious fits to my size.

Design: rucksack
Size: 75liters
Number of Pockets: 5
Height of Owner: 6 ft.

A hiking bag that is more spacious fits to my size. I could take all of my gear and I could camp for more than a week.

Its aircontact also makes me comfortable especially on tropical weather here in Philippines. I could also use this not just for hiking but also for my out-of-town travels.

I'm very happy and satisfied with my Deuter Aircontact.

I hiked a ton of gear high into the mountains to set…

Design: top-loading with bottom compartment and side pockets
Size: 5200 cubic inches
Number of Pockets: a lot
Max. Load Carried: 60 lbs
Height of Owner: 5' 9"

I hiked a ton of gear high into the mountains to set up a base camp and climb a 14,000' peak. This pack performed flawlessly. It held everything I needed with room for more, including the bear canister. Very comfortable pack. The pack cover performed well during the downpour after we set up camp. Important since backpacking tents don't really hold all your gear. I was able to clip all my climbing gear to the daisy chain webbing on the back along with trekking poles and a tripod. I plan to use this on all my treks for many years to come.

I purchased the pack as it was allegedly the best…

Design: top loading internal
Size: 75+10 cubic inches
Number of Pockets: many
Max. Load Carried: 70 lbs
Height of Owner: 183 cm

I purchased the pack as it was allegedly the best the shop had. Quite frankly I don't think it is good enough to take the washing. Deuter was good but now that they source product from Vietnam you get 3rd world lack of quality at developed nations' price. The brand is not worth the price anymore.

The zippers catch, one zip was broken during the trip, a 6-day trek in northern Thailand. The straps look like they belong to a deformed octopus and catch on any tree within range. Put some retainers on them Deuter!

Stitching was rubbish.

I threw it away after the trip.

I recommend it to my enemies.

This pack is very easily adjustable for torso length…

Design: top loader
Size: 85 liter
Max. Load Carried: 35 pounds
Height of Owner: 5' 11"

This pack is very easily adjustable for torso length and hauls heavy loads easily with comfort. The hip belt fit me very nice and is well padded and rigid enough to take the weight off my shoulders. This is a heavy pack that looks bomber proof.

Perfect backpack!! The best I have owned for years...

Perfect backpack!!

The best I have owned for years... The hip belt is great, and takes all the load from my shoulders. Perfect anatomical shape! Awesome ventilation, my back stays cool after hours of walking. Very large, a lot of pockets, strong construction.

I love my Aircontact!