Eddie Bauer First Ascent Serrano Jacket

Versatile jacket — excels as a mid-layer, can be…

Summary

Versatile jacket — excels as a mid-layer, can be used as an outer layer in cool conditions.

Pros

• Wrist gaiters
  • Stretchy Polartec side panels
  • Eddie Bauer sales

I have had this jacket for a year now and have had the opportunity to test it to its limits.

First, why I wanted to write this review. This jacket is in a segment of the market that is highly congested. Almost every major gear maker has their hand in the mid-weight jacket market. To complicate things even more you have your option of fleece, down, synthetic, wool, etc... I feel this jacket puts itself ahead of the many others with a couple small, but appreciated extras....

Positives:

1) Wrist gaiters

P3180092.jpg
I often don't like wrist gaiters as I feel they cut off circulation, many are built too tight. These however feel really comfortable. They are backed by soft fleece and I have often used them alone to add some warmth if I've forgotten gloves/mittens. They are fully stitched in so no snow can wiggle its way up your wrist..

P3180093.jpg

2) Side Polartec panels

P3180096.jpg

Similar to pit zips, these panels can dump a lot of heat while keeping your jacket on. These are made with Polartec's Power Stretch fabric and they are REALLY stretchy. I found it hard to believe, but they allow a lot of natural movement with binding up the jacket. I found it increasingly helpful when ice climbing.

3) Fit.

P3180094.jpg

Obviously this is a very personal thing and won't apply to everyone, but I love the fit of this jacket. For reference I'm 6 feet, 160 lbs and bought the large. I find Eddie Bauer and First Ascent clothing to be cut very slim and this jacket is no different.

I also love that they offer a 'tall' size as well, where the width doesn't increase, just the length. The bottom hem is elastic which I like better than a drawcord as well. The 20 denier ripstop is very soft as help when wearing it as a mid-layer to slide under another jacket.

P3180095.jpg

Negatives: If you want to see this jacket's limits look no further than sharp rock or a good bushwacking session. It is clearly not made with that in mind though, and I haven't torn the shell at all in my uses.

PC290021.jpg

Overall, you could find a very similar jacket made by Patagonia, TNF, MH, and the list goes on. I like the little extras, as well as the fact that Eddie Bauer often has great sales prices.

P3180097.jpg

Also comes with a small storage sack, packs up real small and weighs nothing. It's a little thing but an extra little thing nonetheless!

-This jacket has 60g of Primaloft so you can compare that to others when shopping around. I have found it good to -10 Celcius as an outer layer, and about -16 Celcius as a mid-layer with a softshell outer layer.

If you've owned or used an Eddie Bauer First Ascent Serrano Jacket, please share your experience.

Eddie Bauer First Ascent Serrano Jacket

$169.00 (men's)

The Eddie Bauer First Ascent Serrano Jacket is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen July 19, 2013 at Eddie Bauer.

If you're looking for a new synthetic insulated jacket, check out the best reviewed current models.