Esbit Alchohol Burner

Weight 3.25 oz / 92 g
Dimensions 1.8 x 2.9 in / 4.6 cm x 7.4 cm

The Esbit Spirit Burner (Alcohol Burner) is a nice…

The Esbit Spirit Burner (Alcohol Burner) is a nice alcohol stove with simmer control. It is lighter than the comparable Trangia and comes with a handle on the simmer-control-plate / snuffer.

• Fuel is cheap and easily available
  • Burns clean (no soot)
  • Comes with simmer-control lid with handle
  • Screw-top seals in unused fuel

• Flame is invisible in daylight
  • Cooks slowly
  • Requires windscreen
  • Requires pot stand
  • Doesn't work well in cold environments (below ~14 F)
  • Methanol fuels are toxic

I picked up the Esbit Spirit Burner (alcohol burner) as an add-on when I got my Emberlit FireAnt wood-burning stove. In my mind, it was (and still is) more of a novelty item. My thinking here had been that it's a pain to go hunting for dry fuel on a wet day. Why not simply pick up an alcohol stove for those rainy-day (or post rainy-day) hikes?

While I'm still not likely to give up my wood-burning stove in favor of an alcohol stove, this little Esbit stove has performed admirably both in tests and on the trail.

IMG_2874.jpg IMG_2852.jpg

DESIGN: The Esbit Spirit Burner uses almost the exact same design as the well known Trangia Spirit Burner. However, when placed side by side, you will notice a few small differences. The Esbit is very slightly lighter than the Trangia (the Esbit comes in at 3.3 oz while the Trangia comes in at 4 oz). This alone isn't really enough to sway me one way or the other.

The Esbit's handle, on the other hand, is a defining feature. Like its doppelgänger, the Trangia, the Esbit Spirit Burner comes with a simmer-control-plate built into a second lid. This second lid and simmer-control-plate allow you to control the intensity of the flame from full-open all the way down to a simmer or (if closed completely) extinguished. The real beauty of Esbit's design is the small binder-clip style handle on this second lid. It allows you to easily add or remove the lid without burning yourself.

One major design flaw, in my eyes, with most alcohol stoves is that they require a windscreen and a pot rest. The Esbit stove is no different. It needs something to act as a wind screen and needs a separate pot support as resting pots directly on top of it will extinguish the flame.

FUEL: Alcohol stoves are one of the easiest non-wood-burning stoves when it comes to finding fuel. Any alcohol above 80% will work well as fuel for this stove. However, I have found that the cheapest and best option is the "HEET Gas-Line Antifreeze and Water Remover." You can find this little yellow bottle in just about any gas station / truck stop across the US for around $3. One thing to bear in mind is that HEET is a methanol solution, which produces toxic fumes (you should be fine outdoors, but don't use this stuff inside) and is toxic when brought into contact with the skin.

I have been told that ethanol will burn longer than methanol (HEET is a methanol solution), but haven't actually put this to the test.

BURN TIME:  In tests, I found that 1 oz of HEET burned for 10m and 57s. In theory, ethanol would burn longer as it has more calories per ounce.

BOIL TIME: For my boil time tests, I placed my Esbit Spirit Burner inside my Emberlit FireAnt (in the secondary notches near the top of the FireAnt) so as to provide both wind protection and also pot support. Once again, I used HEET brand as my fuel source. I then filled my Snow Peak titanium pot with 1 cup of water and sat down to watch and prove my grandmother wrong (it DID boil!).

I found that the Esbit Spirit Burner was able to bring 1 cup of water to a low simmer in 6 minutes and 5 seconds. It was able to achieve a rolling boil in 7 minutes and 25 seconds.

SIMMER AND FLAME CONTROL: Once I had boiled my cup of water, I wanted to see how easily I could adjust the temperature to get back to a simmer. It turns out that this was harder than I had anticipated. While the simmer-control-plate can be adjusted to any aperture, only some will still allow enough oxygen to support the flame. Upon placing the secondary lid on the stove, I immediately extinguished the flame.

After re-igniting the stove and adjusting the simmer-control-plate, I tried again only to find that my FireAnt was too small and my secondary lid now sat half on top of the FireAnt itself, thus creating an unstable platform for my pot. One final adjustment allowed me to situate the secondary lid and still maintain a small flame.

While the Esbit stove comes with a nicely designed simmer-control system, you'll need to ensure that your wind screen and pot stand don't get in the way if you intend to do anything more than boil water.

Once I was finished with all my tests, I attempted to extinguish the flame using the secondary lid with the simmer-control-plate completely closed. It did work, but it took 11 seconds for the flame to vanish entirely. If you're cooking at night, you'll still be able to see the flame. If you're out in daylight, on the other hand, the flame will be invisible. Be sure to give this stove plenty of time to go out and cool down before attempting to pack up.

IMG_2894.jpg IMG_2865.jpg

IGNITION: Ignition couldn't be easier. Much like gasoline, liquid alcohol won't burn — it's the fumes directly above the alcohol that are so flammable. As soon as you remove the lid from your Esbit, it's ready to go. Those fumes start rising from the surface of the alcohol and any stray spark will ignite your stove.

WIND: I hadn't expected much from this stove when it comes to wind resistance, but it actually stood up quite well! To test this, I took it out to a local lake and sat on the shore to cook my lunch. The flame guttered a little bit, but the wind screen I had set up did a good job of keeping it at bay. After lunch, I removed the wind screen and used the stove to dry my pots. Again, the flame guttered in the wind, but never once did it go out.

PACKABILITY: When it comes to weight, this stove is a winner. At 3.3 ounces, you won't even notice it in your pack. However, its shape makes it a little awkward to pack unless you can fit it inside your pot.

OVERALL: Overall, I'm very happy with this little stove It's really more of a backup for me as I still prefer my wood burning stoves, but is a nice option for wet weather. It is fairly slow to boil water, but gets the job done so long as you don't need to boil more than a cup at a time (It isn't safe to add more fuel while the stove is burning).

This is the Chinese version of a Trangia. This is…

Price Paid: Don't remember exactly but about what they sell for today

This is the Chinese version of a Trangia.

• Fuel available everywhere
  • Very quiet when burning
  • Simmer/snuffer cap
  • Lid with o-ring saves unused fuel

• Not the lightest of alcohol stoves
  • Fuel needs to be kept warm in cold temps
  • needs a pot stand

This is the Chinese knockoff of the Trangia. The only difference I can see is the hole pattern and that the simmer/snuffer lid has a handle where the Trangia does not.

I have both and cannot discern any difference in the burn pattern nor efficiency though the Trangia seems to "bloom" a slight bit faster. The caps and lids are interchangeable. I do like the "handle" on the simmer/snuffer lid better than the Trangia though as you don't need pliers or other tools to install, remove, or adjust the simmer.

Both stoves will SIMMER if that's your style of cooking.

There are no moving parts which IMO makes it bullet proof.

Works well and very packable. Purchased this to put…

Source: gift

Works well and very packable.

• Size
  • Weigh
  • Seal

Purchased this to put in an emergency car/hiking kit to be used with equipment I already have. Works very well and compliments the items I already own.

The best thing is the O-ring seal. Not having to empty the fuel out if you don't use it all is a real advantage. I have used this several days in a row on short hikes to become familer with it. Performs well heating soup and coffee.