Filson Tin Cloth Packer Hat

A trusty friend that I have put out to pasture. Filson's…

Summary

A trusty friend that I have put out to pasture. Filson's Tin Cloth Packer Hat is an unusual product in that it has the exceptional construction and quality that Filson is so well known for; yet the materials that give it such a great quality is also what ultimately fails.

Pros

• You can trust this hat. Construction is outstanding.
  • Man, it's waterproof. Other than wearing a plastic bag, I don't think you'll be more protected from water.
  • When hat stops being waterproof, you can re-treat it and keep using it. Nice.

Cons

• Ultimately the cloth material will shrink. I have two of these that don't fit anymore.
  • Does not breathe — at all.

20140203_123909.jpg

This is a difficult review to write. I love Filson products, and I do love this hat. However, I won't buy the Tin Cloth Packer hat anymore as I think there are better solutions.

If you want something that's for cold weather, waterproof, provides sun, rain and snow protection and is built like a tank, you might look at the Filson Tin Cloth Bush Hat (wool lined with drop-down ear flaps).  I have one and absolutely rely on it.  I've written a review about it too.

The Tin Cloth Packer Hat is for weather that's warmer where ear protection is not required from the cold. That weather tends to be wet/humid or hot so anything that does not help in that respect probably can be left on the shelf.

Unfortunately, the Tin Cloth Packer Hat makes humidity worse as it is oil / wax treated to create the waterproof barrier. This means it holds humidity rather than breathing. And talk about uncomfortable in the direct sun... whoa! A better solution for this type of weather / humidity / temperature might be a Seattle Sombrero by Outdoor Research (I bought one as a replacement for this hat and it has solved the need for me).

Finally here's the BIG problem that made me stop relying on this hat: the material ultimately shrinks as it gets wet and gets exposed to the sun. I had two of them do it, so I gave them to my sons that have smaller heads than me. But I certainly cannot wear them anymore.

Hope that helps!  Happy Adventuring!

I purchased this hat at a local outdoor supply store…

Fabric: tin cloth

I purchased this hat at a local outdoor supply store because it looked like a hat that would last. I've owned the hat for about a year now and am very satisfied with the quality craftsmanship.

I've worn the hat in rain, snow, and a whole lot of sun. The durability of the hat and its solid stitching makes it easy to take off and pack away, fold it, bend it, smash it, and put it back on. Not one stitch is unraveling, and I get a lot of positive feedback on the style as well. I can count on this hat and that's why it always goes in my pack.

The only compliant I have about the hat is the leather rim band on the hat is glued to the stitching and has come loose. This band is really just for looks but I don't know why you would make a hat so solid and then glue on the band. The rain storms have loosened up the band and i have to find a better glue to really secure it. If I lose the band in the field it really won't take away from the performance of the product just the style.

I spend weeks at a time in the mountains and this hat is a critical simple piece that keeps the sun off my ears and nose and the rain and snow out of my face. For the snow I would recommend a wool liner underneath for a little added warmth but the secret to foul weather is just good gear that keeps you comfortable and this hat qualifies.

Filson Tin Cloth Hats are known for their legendary craftsmanship and character. Thats's why you might as well have the best!Tin Cloth Packer Hat Features: Oil Finish Tin Cloth provides maximum water repellency and durability Fedora style crown Unlined Leather hatband 2 1/4'' brim Cotton sweatband Decorative bow tie covers the rear seam of sweatband 8 grommets for ventilation (4 on each side) Can be packed flat in a suitcase, but brim should not be rolled Made in USA Fabric Oil Finish Tin Cloth, 12.5 oz. 100% cotton duck, 2 ply by 2 ply, paraffin treated for maximum water repellency Weight approximately 7 oz Fitting Order your normal size according to the chart. If your head measurement is between sizes, order the larger size. Sizes S, M, L, XL, XXL Care How do I clean my Oil Finish Tin Cloth garment? Wipe or brush away surface soil or buildup with a damp cloth or scrub brush. If necessary, use cold water to loosen up any caked mud or dirt. (Some customers just hose 'em down at the end of the day.) We advise against spot cleaning with soap and water, as it may result in a loss of water repellency or color in that spot. If it is absolutely necessary to spot clean an Oil Finish garment, you may need to re-wax that spot to restore the water repellency after it dries. DO NOT professionally dry clean Oil Finish garments. Dry cleaning solutions destroy the Oil Finish, effectively turning Oil Finish fabrics into Dry Finish fabrics. If an Oil Finish garment is dry cleaned, it will need to be re-waxed to restore its water repellency. DO NOT machine wash Oil Finish garments. Machine washing breaks down the Oil Finish, and sometimes causes the fabric to shrink. Most importantly, machine washing will not soften Oil Finish Tin Cloth. In fact, it may make the fabric stiffer than before. Do I need to re-wax my Oil Finish Tin Cloth garment right away? You shouldn't need to re-wax your Oil Finish Tin Cloth garment right away. It is ready to wear. However, over time, and with regular use, the Oil Finish water repellency may weaken, especially in areas of high wear or repeated flexing (such as the knees of a pant, or the elbows or cuffs on a jacket). One can of our Style 1-A Original Oil Finish Wax is enough to touch up isolated areas of high wear or flexing, but re-waxing an entire garment usually requires several cans of wax. See Style 1 and 1-A for detailed instructions. What should I do if my Oil Finish Tin Cloth garment gets wet? Cotton can shrink if it gets wet, especially when it's exposed to any kind of heat. Allow your Oil Finish Tin Cloth garment to dry naturally, away from any source of heat, to minimize shrinkage. Oil Finish Tin Cloth is made of 100% cotton that has not been preshrunk, so shrinkage can occur, even if care is taken to avoid prolonged exposure to heat when wet. Most customers do not experience enough shrinkage to have a problem with the fit. Common Uses Fishing, hunting, rain and sun protection, general wear FAQ Why do you call it Tin Cloth? Tin Cloth has been one of our most popular fabrics for decades. It was nicknamed Tin Cloth when tin was the standard for toughness. We've also heard it described in the past as being called Tin Cloth because it sheds water like a tin roof. Why are my new Tin pants a different shade of tan than my last pair of Tin pants? Each dye lot accepts dyes to a different degree, depending on fiber variations, harvest time, and processing. We feel that the difference you are seeing is an acceptable color range for our Tin Cloth. Do I need to order a one size up to allow for shrinkage? Any cotton garment is susceptible to shrinkage, which varies with use. For example, if your garment gets wet and then hot (drying out by a hot stove or in a car trunk, or when you work up a sweat wearing it on a hot day) shrinkage can occur. You'll notice shrinkage primarily in the length of a sleeve or pant leg, less often in the chest or waist. While a small percentage of users experience shrinkage in their Oil Finish Tin Cloth garments (usually due to getting them repeatedly wet and dry) most users do not experience enough shrinkage to create a problem with the fit. We recommend that you order your normal size unless you have previous experience with unusual shrinkage in our garments. Is your Oil Finish Tin Cloth waterproof? Our Oil Finish Tin Cloth is not totally waterproof, but it is very water repellent, especially for a natural fabric like cotton. In a sustained downpour, the fabric will begin to absorb water, but you can expect to stay dry and comfortable for hours in the rain. Which one of your Oil Finish fabrics is the most water repellent? Of the three, Oil Finish Cover Cloth and Oil Finish Shelter Cloth are the most water repellent, because they are both more tightly woven than Oil Finish Tin Cloth. The tight weave contributes to the water repellency. My new Tin jacket is very stiff! Is there anything that I can do to break it in faster? Can I throw it in the washing machine, or the dryer? There are no shortcuts to breaking in a Tin Cloth garment--you just have to wear it as much as you can until it softens up. No matter what, don't throw your Tin jacket in the washing machine--that may only make it stiffer. Tumbling in a dryer will only soften it temporarily (when the fabric cools, it will return to its original stiffness). Your catalog says that Oil Finish Tin Cloth is breathable. How does it compare to Gore-Tex? Rubber and plastic raingear do not breathe at all, which means as you work or play in the rain, your body heat stays trapped inside the garment, eventually building up condensation that leaves you soggy and uncomfortable. We describe our Oil Finish Tin Cloth as breathable, when compared to rubber or plastic raingear, because it offers superior water repellency, but at the same time will allow air to push through. However, Oil Finish Tin Cloth is generally not as breathable as high-tech synthetic fabrics, such as those that use Gore-Tex breathable membranes. Does Filson offer a re-waxing service for Tin Cloth garments? We don't offer a re-waxing service for our Oil Finish garments. However, we do sell individual cans of our Oil Finish wax, so that you can re-wax of your Tin Cloth garment yourself. By the way, if you've been frustrated by re-waxing in the past, you might be pleased to know that our wax is now softer, making it much easier to apply.

- Mountain Hideaway

Filson's most popular style, the Filson Tin Cloth Packet Hat is built of Oil Finish Tin Cloth, providing maximum water repellency and long lasting durability.

- Altrec Outlet

Filson Tin Cloth Packer Hat

The Filson Tin Cloth Packer Hat is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen March 12, 2013 at Altrec Outdoors.

If you're looking for a new rain hat, check out the best reviewed current models.