Filson Tin Cloth Bush Hat
This is an ideal solution for protection from the wind, rain, snow and sun in cold weather. The hat includes a wool flip down that covers the back of your head and your ears. It has kept me warm in temperatures down to 15°F.
- Waterproofing is outstanding and re-treatable as it wears out.
- Wool lining has been plenty warm for me down to 15°F
- Materials and craftsmanship all receive top marks. I love this hat.
- Not really breathable, though I don't think that's too much of an issue in cold weather.
- Not ideal for athletic activity due to lack of breathability
Here's a pic of my old Packer Hat (L) and the Filson Tin Cloth Bush Hat (R).
Filson Tin Cloth Bush Hat with 3" brim
Filson Tin Cloth Bush Hat from the side with the ear / neck flap pulled down
Filson Tin Cloth Bush Hat from the bottom with the ear / neck flap pulled down.
When to use this hat: This hat is simply outstanding for cold weather. I've comfortably used it from 15°F up to 32F for whole-day stretches at a time. The only thing it needs is a chin strap. Guess what? Filson offers that as an option! I recommend getting it with the strap, though it's not necessary.
When not to use this hat: When the temperature goes above freezing, it's time to take this hat off. When the temp goes down below 20°F, it's likely time to start considering other options. Also, if you're wanting to do something athletic at low temps, there are probably better solutions.
Hope this helps! Happy Adventuring!
Source: bought it new
Price Paid: $65
You May Like
Current Retail: $75.00-$85.00
Historic Range: $23.99-$85.00
Reviewers Paid: $65.00