Gander Mountain Guide Series Thundercloud II Rain Jacket

For those who don't want to "shell" out $80 or $100…

Source: received it as a personal gift

Summary

For those who don't want to "shell" out $80 or $100 for a hard shell waterproof jacket, this'll be for you. While the sizing may be off, this is a solid waterproof jacket, consistent as well as compact. Not too many frills, but will keep you dry!

Pros

• Reasonably priced
  • Compact
  • Waterproof

Cons

• Mesh lining
  • Velcro unnecessary with zipper
  • Runs slightly large

A review for an early holiday gift that's received a lot of use in the past three weeks. I've been down to Charleston and back to Raleigh. No white Christmas, but plenty of rain!

I am 5"9 and 150 lbs, athletic. My in-laws gave me a medium (typical for me), but this runs a little large in my opinion. If I had more layers and really used this as shell atop, it may not be as bad. The sleeves are longer than expected and waist goes further than I like (I prefer the jacket ending about 2 inches below my belt or so; this goes about 4-5 inches).

I'll start with the "bad" as there really aren't many, especially for the price. This normally goes for about $50 but is $35 on the Gander Mtn website now.

I am not a fan of the velcro next to the zipper (see my picture at the bottom).  It is more of a burden than benefit. I understand that the velcro can be used instead of the zipper, thus increasing breathability, but how many times would a person prefer the velcro to the zipper. By default if you use the zipper, you HAVE to use the velcro. It can get annoying.

The inner mesh lining is both on my good and bad list. It's nice to not have the potentially cold shell on bare skin, but mesh can sometimes get caught on button or other zippers if using this on top of a jacket or long sleeve shirt with a button to roll up the sleeve.

While my negatives seem like a lot, those are really all that I can think of with this jacket. I never used Gander Mtn gear before and it may not be one of the "big guys" but it performs like the best of them. The material seems to be very durable and it has options to be ventilated though no underarm vents exist. The hood also fits well and has a draw cord, similar to many others.  The brim is sturdy as well.

One last aspect that I like is the small storage bag that comes with it (attached to the tag). It is about 5 or 6 inches long and 3 or 4 inches in diameter once stuffed with....the jacket.  Nice addition when hiking though I've only used it for everyday use and for work (it's simple enough to look professional).

EDIT: Please review rob5073's comment below, great addition to my review!

00Y0Y_62CfwJeIj6T_600x450.jpg

Velcro in addition to zipper

Beads up fine, left on for about and hour, wiped off and no absorption

Inner layer with mesh

rob5073

Good review on a basic, waterproof shell which is highly affordable for all. As you go to the higher end models ($300 to $400 range) there are many features and fabrics which sets them apart from the entry level shells. The major improvement is obviously the material for the shell. Gortex, Event, Dry Q Elite, etc., provide a higher degree of breathability vs. polyurethane coated nylon. The flap and velcro closure which you mentioned are entirely removed in higher end models and replaced with a waterproof zipper. Pit zips, if not entirely eliminated, have the waterproof zippers. Sometimes the hip pockets are non-existent or are moved up higher to accommodate the waste-belts on weight distributing packs. Elastic in the cuffs are eliminated and replaced with velcro only. All these little things add up when it comes to weight savings and packability.

Daniel Oates

Thanks for the additional info rob5073, definitely agree! Readers should keep definitely keep your information in mind when considering this low-end, basic features, reasonable jacket vs. high-end jackets.

Mattb

Gander Mtn's old version of this jacket had a membrane in it, similar to PAC lite. Mine started to delaminates, so I took it back. Gander exchanged it for this one. I have the exact color/size as you. I like being able to layer under it. The velcro does get annoying g, as you stated. I also have several 2.5 and 3 layer WPB jackets - this guy is my back and forth to work layer. Great revew.

Daniel Oates

I agree Mattb, great for work (same here) or just taking out for a run or day hike in the rain. Thanks.

• Jacket is woven from 100% nylon ripstop fabric

• DWR finish repels moisture and light stains

• Waterproof, breathable, and fully seam-sealed

• Mesh-lined body wicks moisture, keeps you cool

• Attached three-piece hood with drawcord adjustment

Visit Gander Mountain's Guide Series Thundercloud II Rain Jacket page.

Gander Mountain Guide Series Thundercloud II Rain Jacket

The Gander Mountain Guide Series Thundercloud II Rain Jacket is not available from the stores we monitor.

If you're looking for a new hard shell jacket, check out the best reviewed current models.