Gossamer Gear Mariposa 60

small medium large
Weight 30.7 oz / 870 g 32.7 oz / 927 g 34.8 oz / 986 g
Capacity 3487 cu in / 60 L (medium)
Maximum Carry Capacity 35 lbs

The Mariposa is well-designed and well-crafted. It…

Source: tested or reviewed it for the manufacturer (I received a sample of this product from the brand or its representatives in exchange for a review.)

Summary

The Mariposa is well-designed and well-crafted. It strikes a good balance between weight, structure, convenience, and load-carrying ability. With the long collar, it can be compact enough for small loads or flexible enough to carry the occasional large load.

• Comfortable with light loads
  • Has plenty of room
  • Lots of pockets

Cons

• Can we warm against the back
  • Heavy loads will make it uncomfortable

For a lightweight pack, the Gossamer Gear Mariposa 60 feels beefy. The shoulder straps and hip belts are thick and sturdy. You can feel the slim metal frame that provides support when you grasp the top of the pack. A foam pad provides additional structure and support to the back and doubles as a removable sit pad. With the built-in hip belt pockets, bladder pocket and relatively large capacity of 60 liters, it’s easy to think the weight must be adding up. But it holds the line at just two pounds for the medium size.

IMG_20180413_121530668-1280x720-.jpg

I’m in search of the elusive perfect pack, which may or may not exist. Last year I tried a 1.5-pound Cuben fiber pack that was initially comfortable, but on a 15-day hike on the Pacific Crest Trail, became increasingly torturous. I was happy to have the opportunity to try the Mariposa, a long-time favorite among the ultralight crowd.

The first thing I noticed when I tried the loaded pack was that it felt rock solid on my back and hips, a feeling that never dissipated over my 10-mile spring backpacking trip to Pt. Reyes National Seashore. I thought the shoulder straps might be a bit wide, but the ergonomic curve felt right and I didn’t notice any rubbing or chafing. So far, so good.

IMG_20180421_084442801.jpg

The pack has what I consider to be an ideal number of pockets, including:

• Lid pocket for my permit, map, sunglasses, sunscreen, and keys
  • Two hip belt pockets that were roomy enough for my phone (my phone is 3" x 5.75"), lip balm, and snacks
  • A side pocket that was positioned so I could retrieve my water bottle easily
  • An upper side pocket held my pack cover and toilet kit
  • The other side pocket is about three quarters of the length of the pack which was long enough to hold my Jet Boil and extra fuel (or my tent or pad).
  • The large mesh pocket on the front (love this!) held my flipflops, lunch, and rain jacket. It could hold a lot more.
  • Inside, the bladder pocket is sewn in and generously sized with three loops above it.

The interior of the pack is spacious. One feature I had to get used to is the long collar. The interior holds 36 liters up to a seam in the collar at the top of the pack. The collar extends a full foot beyond this seam. When you hold the top of the collar it feels like you’re looking into a long tunnel.

The Garcia bear canister fits vertically, but it’s helpful to slip it into the tunnel first, then pack other items around it and in the pockets. I don’t generally need that extra foot so the top just folds over to clip in two places. I was perplexed by two very small clips on the interior edge of the top, but finally realized that they clip to each other to gather up some of the extra material when the full capacity is not required.

IMG_20180421_084936936.jpg

Inside, the metal frame is visible, secured by a Velcro fastener so it can be removed (the frame weighs three ounces). Outside the tent on the back are two mesh pockets that hold the Sitlite foam pad. The pad is 10.75 inches by 20 inches and weighs 2.1 ounces. It can be removed to use as a sit pad during breaks and as an extension to a three-quarter length sleeping pad in the tent.

IMG_20180421_085805235.jpg

On the outside, there are several loops on the shoulder straps to affix things. On the front, there are six tiny loops along the sides. On the bottom are two trekking pole D-rings and one large ice axe loop. Trekking poles can be slipped between the lid and pack with the tips inserted in the D-rings. The blade of the ice axe can slide through the large loop at the bottom with the handle secured with the clip on top. There are no straps with which to secure a pad at the bottom, but something could be retrofitted using the existing loops and some cord.

IMG_20180421_084828733.jpg

On the inaugural trip, I hiked 5.5 miles along the California coast at Pt. Reyes National Seashore on a beautiful clear day with temperatures in the 60s and a steady offshore breeze. The pack probably weighed around 20 pounds for the overnight trip. I placed my sleeping bag in first, then the rolled up inflatable pad. My tent, which has short poles, went in horizontally on top of that. A stuff sack with clothing went in next. On the top was my food bag. I packed a large fuel canister in the long side pocket with the JetBoil stove on top with a small fuel canister. I was guiding a group and had offered to boil water so I brought extra fuel.

I kept switching items in and out of the large side pocket because several items, including the tent, pad, and stove seemed like a perfect fit. Ultimately, I tried it as described above. My one-liter water bottle went in the lower side pocket with my pack cover and toilet kit in the upper pocket. My jacket and camp shoes went in the large mesh pocket.

The pack was so comfortable right off the bat that I made hardly any adjustments, save cinching up the hip belt and chest strap. I was able to retrieve the water bottle independently. Getting it back in required just the right angle to catch the edge of the pocket before pushing down but I eventually mastered it. The large, long zipper on the lid pocket made it very easy to rummage around for small items. The zippers on the hip belt pockets opened and closed smoothly as I removed my phone multiple times to take photos.

The long collar didn’t bother me since I didn’t need to get into the pack until I was ready to set up camp. I always keep lunch and snacks easily available, separate from my main food bag or can. The mesh pocket was great because my jacket was on and off several times. On the return trip there was no breeze and I noticed that the foam pad made my back feel a little warm.  One thing I really like about the pack is that it doesn't come up too high behind my head. In fact, on this trip, the pack didn't rise above my shoulders.

IMG_20180421_084642771.jpg

The Mariposa carried my light load beautifully and I had no complaints at the end of the trip. The true test will come in a couple of months when I take a full bear can to Yosemite for five days. I will update this review after that trip.

The Mariposa is well-designed and well-crafted. It has been around for many years and has been updated over time. It strikes a good balance between weight, structure, convenience, and load-carrying ability. With the long collar, it can be compact enough for small loads or flexible enough to carry the occasional large load. With a light load, it’s very comfortable. I’m looking forward to further testing.

MARIPOSA.jpg

Information

• Gossamer Gear 60 Mariposa Pack
  • Capacity: 60 liters (36 L in main body)
  • Weight with pack, belt, frame, lid and pad: 30.7, 32.7, 34.8 ounces for small, medium, large
  • Materials: mainly 100 denier Robic High Tensil strength nylon

Disclosure of material connection: I received a sample for testing purposes, but the opinions expressed are solely my own.

Mike Mineart

Thanks for the very nice and thorough review! For myself I ended up buying a ULA Circuit for my longer hikes this year, but I was close to picking up the Mariposa and would like to try it out sometime in the future.

Inga Aksamit MEDIA

Hi Mike, I was debating between those two packs as well. They are both excellent choices, I believe.

Overall this is a really enjoyable ultralight backpack.

Summary

Overall this is a really enjoyable ultralight backpack. It's light and one of the most roomy backpacks on the market. I can easily squeeze more gear than I can carry into the main compartment.

Pros

• Super light under 2lbs
  • Roomy
  • Great side compartments

Cons

• Slightly uncomfortable internal frame
  • Bit weighty on the shoulders
  • Not many zipper compartments

I'm about a 150 pound guy and the medium pack fits me quite nicely and comfortable to about 40 lbs. My girlfriend is a petite 105 and the pack is even comfortable to her and manageable with a 25-lb load.

The more weight you load in, the more it tends to tug on your shoulders, but if you pack light you won't really notice it. The hip belts don't absorb much of the weight.

The capacity is fantastic and I would go as far as to say it is better than advertised. The main compartment is huge and the outer mesh pockets are incredibly large. You could get away with only stuffing gear into the outer mesh pockets if you really wanted. I would appreciate a few more zippered compartments for more sensitive gear.

I bought it new and paid about $235 for it. I have had it for about 6 months and taken it out a for a handful of overnighters and everything has held up just fine. Planning to do a larger trip next fall and well definitely rely on it to carry my gear.

Here's a view with a sleeping pad which acts as a nice cushion for your back (this makes the internal frame much more comfortable):

mariposa-back.jpg

Another showing the back:

mariposa-front.jpg

In the left side pocket, gotta have some chairs:

mariposa-left-side.jpg

In the middle outer, a little Hikpro day pack with some gear and a 1.5L water:

mariposa-outer.jpg

And in the main, a Marmot Limelight 3P tent, Sea to Summit Trek TKI sleeping bag, 1 gallon of water, and of course a big comfy pillow, cause you gotta get a good night's rest!

mariposa-main.jpg

Welcome to Trailspace, Kyle! Thanks for sharing your Mariposa Ultralight review with us. Got any pictures of your pack you could share to show its capacity?

Kyle Moran

Thank you for the kind welcome Alicia! Yes, pictures, here they are!

You're welcome, Kyle. Thanks a lot for sharing all of these pictures.

Semi-ultralight pack with lots of pockets. First,…

Source: bought it used

Summary

Semi-ultralight pack with lots of pockets.

Pros

• Light
  • Lots of pockets
  • Wide shoulder straps

Cons

• None

First, I'm not going to give you the specs. If you're interested in the pack you probably know all that. Thus my story.

Long long ago in a far off national park I had my ass leveled backpacking. I had been packing with some guys on our level southern trails and was carrying over 50 lbs for a weekend, not a problem. You ask why the weight? 8 lb packs, 8 lb tents, propane stoves, you get the picture. Then we hit the mountains, what hell it was.

I'm sure some people reading this carry that weight in the mountains all the time, but we did not handle it well. A few people said that was their last trip, but I resolved to find a better way. Thus, I discovered UL backpacking. In my 20 yrs backpacking I have used various packs. All worked well, but I missed the cool way you could organize gear in my first Camp Trails pack.

Then I saw a Marpiosa on eBay and it was love at first sight. I have a long pocket on one side for my tent, two short pockets on the other side for my water bottle, fuel, and stove, a pocket in the top flap for small stuff, a huge back net pocket for rain gear and my ground cloth and 2 hip belt pockets for my camera and snacks. I'm in POCKET HEAVEN. Add extra wide shoulder straps for comfort and a huge pack bag I use to carry my bulky stuff in late fall.

THIS IS ONE COOL PACK. Light with excellent build quality. THANKS