GSI Outdoors Halulite Tea Kettle

Summary

Whether used as a compact primary or secondary pot this 1 quart kettle gets the job done without taking up a lot of space. Great for solo dining or making hot beverages for the whole group.

Pros

• Compact
  • Halulite hard anodized alloy
  • Wide top opening
  • Self standing bail

Cons

• Heavier than some other options 6.1 oz

Having used the GSI Dualist set for a few years when doing group and family trips I kept them in mind when looking for a kettle. I wanted something better suited for solo use and went with the GSI Tea Kettle over other options based on that previous experience.

The one quart kettle has a wide 4 3/8ths inch top opening and a narrow somewhat oval shaped spout for pouring water out. The pot has a removable bail with a coating to prevent burned fingers.  The bail is self standing which is great for keeping it away from heat in the first place.  The small handle on the top lid is unfortunately not self standing but does also have the protective coating.

My personal experience has been to use the kettle only for boiling water. With the wide top opening some folks may be tempted to use the kettle as a cook pot. It seems easy enough to access all parts of the interior to clean it if you chose to use it like that.

I have opted not to include six hours of video documenting my boil tests because my exhaustive research showed little to no difference in cook times between the old Dualist pot and the new Tea Kettle. The kettle being about a quarter inch larger in diameter might have an edge in a light breeze.

Being less than half the height the kettle does take up much less space in my pack as well as weighing about 3.4 oz less (pot and cover compared to kettle and cover). It still has room for a stove or a small fuel canister inside, but probably not both unless your stove is really tiny.

Over all I have been happy with my purchase of the GSI Tea Kettle and would recommend this and other GSI products based on my experiences with them. I don't have a use for many of their products, but I've been happy with the ones I have used so far this one included.

IMG_2486a.jpg

Kettle with bail set in raised position. Note contoured spout for good pour control.

IMG_2488a.jpg

View of the wide 4 3/8ths inch top opening.  That is a giant MSR SuperFly in there for reference.

Have you owned or used a GSI Outdoors Halulite Tea Kettle? Share your experience »