GSI Tea Kettle HAE

Weight 5.8 oz
Dimensions 6.30 in x 6.00 in x 3.20 in
Materials Proprietary, Hard Anodized Alloy

Whether used as a compact primary or secondary pot…

Summary

Whether used as a compact primary or secondary pot this 1 quart kettle gets the job done without taking up a lot of space. Great for solo dining or making hot beverages for the whole group.

Pros

• Compact
  • Halulite hard anodized alloy
  • Wide top opening
  • Self standing bail

Cons

• Heavier than some other options 6.1 oz

Having used the GSI Dualist set for a few years when doing group and family trips I kept them in mind when looking for a kettle. I wanted something better suited for solo use and went with the GSI Tea Kettle over other options based on that previous experience.

The one quart kettle has a wide 4 3/8ths inch top opening and a narrow somewhat oval shaped spout for pouring water out. The pot has a removable bail with a coating to prevent burned fingers.  The bail is self standing which is great for keeping it away from heat in the first place.  The small handle on the top lid is unfortunately not self standing but does also have the protective coating.

My personal experience has been to use the kettle only for boiling water. With the wide top opening some folks may be tempted to use the kettle as a cook pot. It seems easy enough to access all parts of the interior to clean it if you chose to use it like that.

I have opted not to include six hours of video documenting my boil tests because my exhaustive research showed little to no difference in cook times between the old Dualist pot and the new Tea Kettle. The kettle being about a quarter inch larger in diameter might have an edge in a light breeze.

Being less than half the height the kettle does take up much less space in my pack as well as weighing about 3.4 oz less (pot and cover compared to kettle and cover). It still has room for a stove or a small fuel canister inside, but probably not both unless your stove is really tiny.

Over all I have been happy with my purchase of the GSI Tea Kettle and would recommend this and other GSI products based on my experiences with them. I don't have a use for many of their products, but I've been happy with the ones I have used so far this one included.

IMG_2486a.jpg

Kettle with bail set in raised position. Note contoured spout for good pour control.

IMG_2488a.jpg

View of the wide 4 3/8ths inch top opening.  That is a giant MSR SuperFly in there for reference.

Lightweight little kettle that's pretty close to indestructable.

Price Paid: $25 USD

Summary

Lightweight little kettle that's pretty close to indestructable. Definitely worth the cost, which really isn't all that much.

Pros

• Tough
  • Good price

Cons

• Sharp edges where handle connects to pot

The only downside I can see is that where the handle connects to the pot, there are some sharp edges. I wouldn't be comfortable with it jabbing into a water bladder and I question how long it will be before I end up with a hole in my pack because I wasn't cautious enough.

Now for the good stuff...  Not long after I got this kettle, I was boiling water at home for a cup of tea and then got distracted by something outside. The kettle sat on the open flame long after the water boiled away (at least 1 hour) and it wasn't until I came back in the house and smelled something that I realized what I'd done.

The rubber coating on the lid had completely burned away and it had melted and burned away from about 1/2 the handle. The pot itself was so red hot it looked like it would melt at any moment. I turned the stove off and walked away, knowing I'd just ruined my favorite backpacking kettle.

I was wrong! Other than the blackened rubber I had to pick off the side and lid, the kettle came away looking as good as it did when I bought it. It didn't burn through the bottom, warp, or even discolor from the heat.

This is a terrific lightweight piece of cookware that I won't leave home without. For around $25 USD, it's also a hell of a lot less expensive than titanium and doesn't weigh much more.

Nice addition to camp cookware, very light. I use…

Nice addition to camp cookware, very light. I use mine for both backpacking and kayak camping. Fast boiling of water for tea or coffee, as well as camp bathing. Excellent quality from GSI. Shop around for best buy.

Even though this kettle is lightweight I normally…

Price Paid: Don't recall

Summary

Even though this kettle is lightweight I normally take it car camping. It works great for making a couple of mugs of tea or Startbucks Via coffee and with the tight lid, the water heats up pretty fast. The handle locks in place so pouring is easy and can be done with one-hand.

Pros

• Handle locks upright so easy to use when pouring
  • Storage bag is efficiently sized

Cons

• No heat exchanger
  • Lost its place in my backback

I used to carry this in my backpack when I also carried my GSI cookset. In recent years, I've moved to dehydrated food packs, like Mountain House, and have exclusively gone to Primus pots with the heat exchanger since all I mainly do is boil water.

I do still take it when I car camp because it's a convenient size for boiling a couple of cups of water for a morning or evening hot beverage. I also take it for longer day hikes when we stop along the trail for oatmeal or tea and I'm not as concerned about conserving fuel (reduced boil time). A really nice feature is the locking handle.  It stays upright which is nice when moving the pot or pouring the water. The silicon insulation also works well keeping the handle cool to the touch.

I've always liked this little kettle and if it had a heat exchanger on it, I think I'd use it again if I were to solo backpack. My smaller Primus stove fits inside the kettle along with other small items so it doesn't create much wasted space.