Helinox Ground Chair

Guilty pleasure, luxury item must-have. I've always…

Summary

Guilty pleasure, luxury item must-have.

Pros

• Light
  • Packs small

Cons

• Expensive

I've always been anti backpacking chair (except when I used to bungee an old school steel shorty beach chair to my external frame pack in the early '90s). Several years ago I tried one of those soft seats with the side straps that hold up the back. Hated it and threw it in the trash.

I've seen the expensive packable backpacking chairs going around for years. Wasn't into the Monarch balance version and the ones they added legs to didn't seem sturdy and were very expensive. I've sat on the REI and Therm-a-Rest versions and didn't like them either for their comfort vs weight.

My buddy just picked up a knockoff of the Helinox Chair One on Amazon and I was considering getting a couple for my girlfriend and myself but I just can't justify 2 lbs of luxury weight. Even if they're $30.

I read good things about the Helinox Chair One, but I didn't like the weight and I didn't like what I read about the little feet sinking in soft ground. After looking at my buddy's knockoff I agree that those little feet will definitely sink.

Then I came across the Ground Chair. It was perfect. 1lb 6oz was more like it. No sinking feet. Same comfy sling chair as the Chair One. Same good looks. Holds 320lbs!!!! I'm 200lbs but it's good to know that I  can trust it in case I accidentally fall into it from weak tired exhausted legs (or tequila).

But it's $110!!!???

OK, so I didn't grab it right away.

I searched and searched and finally got an email from Backcountry Edge that it was on sale for $87 + a free T-shirt!. I grabbed two and love them!!!!

Small, lightweight, sturdy, comfy! I believe it's smaller than or the same size as my old 1.5 liter Nalgene bottle

My girlfriend and I set them up real quick in front of the couch and watched TV. Easy to assemble (no instructions needed). If you can't figure it out real quick I question your backcountry skills and hope your tent survives the night.

They have a great laid back sitting position. I could chill in that thing all day.

For those who said you can't cook in it I disagree. I mimicked/mimed myself sitting forward and clicking on my Jetboil just fine. And I have a beer belly.

I can't wait to take them at the end of the month on my Grand Canyon murder mission.

I know I'll be cursing the extra weight on the climb out of there, but after 10 miles a day for three nights I know my arse and back will appreciate the comfort over a sleep pad on a boulder.

Definitely coming with us whenever we bike ride at the beach so we can take pitstops and get our burn on in the sand with our covert Squirt Palomas.

Enjoy your Grand Canyon trip, sparkaj. I hope you'll give us an update of how the chairs work out.

Very disappointed in this chair. It looked good quality.

Price Paid: $125 AUD

Summary

Very disappointed in this chair. It looked good quality. It's certainly lightweight and packs down to a tiny package...but it broke immediately when my wife sat on it. The plastic fitting broke and the chair is now useless. My wife is certainly less than the max weight rating.

Pros

• Packs up to a tiny size

Cons

• Weak plastic fittings

Look for something more robust.

DrPhun

Big Agnes, who makes Helinox, has very good warranty service.

Too bad about your chair, Mike. I would definitely contact Helinox or their distributor to see if hey can make it right for you. In the U.S. that's Big Agnes, but in Australia it's http://www.helinox.com.au/