Hennessy Hammock Expedition Asym Zip

Great to use, but difficult to set up. Very comfortable…

Summary

Great to use, but difficult to set up. Very comfortable and quite rain proof. Good for picky backs.

• Rain-proof

Cons

• Tree straps need certain trees
  • Set up is a bit of a pain

I enjoy this hammock for trips to places I'm familiar with. It is very comfortable for sleeping, especially with a pad to help keep in the warmth. I sleep on my sides, and have some solid hips, so the older I get the worst sleeping on hard ground is. A hammock is a great solution, and this one is the best I've found that resembles a tent for comfortable protection. I can even change in it without much difficulty.

The first time I used it was in a rainstorm. I stayed dry, and while I swayed a bit, I didn't sink any. The rain was coming in sideways, and the fly still kept it off completely. I was concerned since the top is open. This also opened it up for great ventilation, didn't get stuffy, and all condensation took itself away on the fly.

Trying to store your gear in it can be difficult, but I put it behind my knees and found that a good way to keep myself at the diagonal necessary for hammocks. This one is made for those under 6 ft. I'm 5 and a half and felt a perfect fit, so If you are 6 ft I'd recommend going up a size.

My biggest problem is setting this thing up. The straps provided only fit certain trees and tensioning all the parts can be complicated. I do not have the Snake Skins, and I'm planning on purchasing them in hopes that this'll make things easier. When packed it takes up a bit more space than I would expect, but it's so much lighter without poles.

Fantastic design for all types of weather. This hammock…

Price Paid: 170 or so dollars

Summary

Fantastic design for all types of weather. This hammock does a great job keeping the bugs out. I'm happy to see that it now has a water collection system available.

Pros

• All-in-one system
  • Very rainproof
  • Versatile

Cons

• The straps that are included make it hard to find the right tree
  • My Neoair slides all around making it nearly impossible to use for insulation
  • I wish there was some way to secure your sleeping bag or air mattress inside to avoid slipping
  • It would be great to have a way to hang using Nite Ize carabiner

The hammock is a fantastic design. Setup and tear down is simplified using the snake skins. There is very little sway to the hammock during sleep. I have used it in heat and cold and rain. Hammock functions great in the heat as you can get great airflow and its very water resistant.

I did have an issue when I tried to use my air mattress on a cold night. My sleeping bag and mattress slid all around in the hammock and I had only a few minutes of sleep as a result. I would like to be able to suspend the hammock with a Nite Ize carabiner so that I wouldn't have to "mess" with the suspension so much. As it is the right suspension is difficult for me to achieve as I am only 5 feet tall and can't reach high enough on the tree to avoid a sinking hammock. It's no fun to wake up on the ground in the middle of the night.

Overall, a well-constructed hammock (probably the best on the market) that travels well in my backpack. I just wish they'd fix a couple of issues.

G00SE

Your hammock shouldn't be sinking at all. What kind of suspension does it come with? Also the trick to using an air mattress in a hammock is to only 1/2 inflate it. When not using an underquilt, I prefer using a Wenzel foam pad, which stays pretty much in place.

Over-all a pretty sweet rig. Overall a pretty sweet…

Summary

Over-all a pretty sweet rig.

Pros

• Comfortable (no sticks, rocks or snakes)
  • Stealthy (low impact visuals)
  • Well-made

Cons

• Spendy
  • Tree straps are innsufficiant

Overall a pretty sweet rig.

I've used it as intended, also when the need arises it makes a pretty decent Bivy on the ground (esp. with hiking poles to keep the bug net high).

I like the Zip model better the the original as it's easier for chair-mode, and much easier entry exit on a cold night (yeah, you know what I mean).

As with all hammocks, it still needs a good under-quilt/over-quilt instead of a sleeping bag, but that's offset by not needing a pad.

I use the optional snake skins which is of major benefit to packing, setup and tear-down. With the snake skins setup takes about 3-minutes (w/o the underquilt) and teardown is about the same. That time includes the rain-fly setup too!

You don't store much gear inside as it would slide to the center, but shoes go into the end well and there's a bivy sack that hangs from the ridgeline taht is great for the nessaceries.

All in all it's a great rig for those that want the flexability of a hammock, but don't want to make or have made a custom setup.

If you've owned or used a Hennessy Hammock Expedition Asym Zip, please share your experience.