Hillsound Trail Crampon Ultra

This product is best for trail runners who need more…

Source: received it as a sample, freebie, or prize (Hillsound)

Summary

This product is best for trail runners who need more traction to get them through runs where they may encounter snow, ice, mud, or all of the above. It could also be used for persons looking for a lightweight hiking crampon.

Pros

• Easy to take on and off

Cons

• Toe bar tends to move around
  • Velcro strap doesn't stay put

I have used these in quite a few runs as of late in everything from ice, snow, and even a bit of mud in some places and have not been disappointed. They are super easy to put on and take off if the conditions are variable. I use them primarily for trail running and found that sometimes I did not require so much traction so I would remove them and put them in the handy carrying bag and stuff them in my pack.

The only complaint I have is the Velcro strap moves around a little bit. Where it loops under the rubber tends to cause the rubber to turn on it's side rather than lay flat. I also have had a problem with the toe bar riding up over the top of my foot rather than stay around the front of my toe.

As for the spike plates on the bottom...Excellent. They are super durable and grip well to various types of terrain.

(DISCLOSURE: The manufacturer offered free product in exchange for sharing this review.)

They are awesome, much better than the other options…

Price Paid: $69.99 less 20% discount

Summary

They are awesome, much better than the other options out there. I use them for hiking up steep mountain-packed trails in winter and shoulder season hikes when there might be ice. Definitely recommend.

Pros

• Holds very well to the boot.
  • Longer spikes and and velcro adds extra insurance

Cons

• None, they are awesome, my favorite piece of fall/winter gear

The Hillsound Crampon Ultras are a real step-up from the competitor's brand. The spikes are more grippy, the material used to stretch around the boot is superior, and the Velcro strap will ensure no more lost Microspikes! It does happen in certain conditions (learned the hard way). Love the product.

Excellent traction in various conditions — I use…

Source: received it as a sample, freebie, or prize (Hillsound)

Summary

Excellent traction in various conditions — I use them for winter hiking, but have to think they'd be great for trail running, walking, etc. Spike height is tall enough to bite well in snow or ice, but not so tall that you feel unstable on rock faces. My one complaint is that they'll snowball on you in milder temps with wet snow (like many other traction devices). But if the temps are cold, they're awesome.

Pros

• Great traction, especially on crusty snow and ice
  • Good, secure fit with velcro strap

Cons

• Snowballing in wet snow
  • Spikes aren't huge, so traction in deeper snow isn't great

I've taken these on a couple winter night hikes, and have been very happy with their performance so far. They grip your boot firmly and the velcro strap acting like a safety measure to make sure they stay put, even if you posthole into some deeper snow. (Only attach it loosely, though, because it'll pull the rubber out of shape if you crank it down. But it doesn't need to be tight to do its job.) You can put both on in about 10 seconds and be on your way.

Zero issues on frozen, snow-covered terrain. Hiked up/crossed frozen streams easily. Tons of traction, and hardly noticeable on your feet. Performance was best in colder weather, but in milder temps with wet snow, my spikes did start to snowball a bit. Just a matter of knocking your boot against a tree trunk/stump/rock periodically to free them up, but still an inconvenience.

Other traction devices have the same problem, so that's not really a ding against the Hillsounds. But Hillsound's less expensive Freesteps have little silicone pads to help prevent that from happening, so it would have been nice to see something similar on these.

Overall, these have performed great. They seem very well made, with durable rubber and stainless steel chain/spikes. They come with a storage pouch, too, which makes carrying/packing them a piece of cake without worrying that a spike might tear up your backpack. Recommended.

This crampon is aimed more towards the trail runner.

Summary

This crampon is aimed more towards the trail runner. I primarily bought them for that reason, but I haven't had the chance (weather) to use them for running yet. I used them on a recent hike in the White Mountains of N.H. and they were perfect. Not only were they great for hiking, but even when I thought I could take them off I kept them on since they worked so well.

Pros

• More spikes to spread out the load
  • Very durable steel
  • Hold up despite abuse on rocks

Cons

• The velcro strap seems like it's not needed really
  • Slide off the front of the toe if the shoe's upper is loose

They have slightly shorter spikes than the Hillsound Trail Crampon. My friend had that pair and while they worked well for him hiking I think that the Crampon Ultra will be a much more well rounded pair of crampons that I can use running as well as hiking. I like that they have smaller more spread out spike plates and like that there are more points to spread the load out.

They are quite easy to put on and I like the addition of the little bag they come with since they could have potentially poked holes in my backpack. I think that the addition of the velcro strap was extraneous, but it does put the brand name out there.

They are very well made. Being an engineer I love that they put the tensile strength and Rockwell C hardness on the specs. The spikes I'm told are 1.5cm long while the trail crampons are 2cm long. They seemed shorter than that though. I thought they would slip around and be like skating when used on just rocks, but they allow just enough rubber to get through that your shoes won't slip when you aren't actually on ice or snow.

We just went for a 9.5 mile hike, but they were indispensable considering the conditions. My friend was having a really hard time slipping around even after we got to a bit less ice so he slipped them on and was quite amazed at the traction they gave! The steel seems barely scratched despite the many rocks I was grinding them into.

I went back and forth between buying these and buying the updated Kahtoolas, but I'm very glad I picked these in the end. Thanks, Hillsound!!

Aaron

DISCLAIMER: I forgot to mention that because I reviewed this product, Hillsound is sending me a free set.

UPDATE 1/12/14:

After using the crampons for running with my Altra Lone Peak trail shoes I have to say that they will not work very well if your shoes have a bit of a loose toe. The Lone Peaks are designed to have a wide toe box for more "natural running", but I found that because of this feature the crampons would slide off the front of the shoe to the outside. They were still usable but it was annoying. This didn't happen with a regular running trail shoe. I'm curious if the Lone Peak 1.5 has issues like this.

Also, I had quite a bit of ice buildup later on during the run, but the snow / ice was a bit slushy at times.

Overall I still really love these crampons. They just have certain conditions where they work well and other conditions where they aren't necessary.

2013-12-21-16-11-45.jpg

Handy product to carry in your pack any time there…

Source: tested or reviewed it for the manufacturer (Kept it and use it)

Summary

Handy product to carry in your pack any time there might be snow — compact, easy to put on/off, not heavy.

• Easy to put on
  • Nice carrying case

Cons

• None so far

Used my new Hillsound Trail Crampon Ultras while hiking the Lower Hollyburn Loop last week. They were easy to put on — didn't have to take my pack off.  Once they were on I forgot all about them — didn't feel any difference.

Great traction on the packed down crusty snow. I was the only one who didn't slip going down the gills. And when we dropped to lower elevation, I barely broke stride to remove them.

I got them because there were many times last winter when I was snowshoeing that I found the snowshoes just didn't work — trail was too packed down. I think these are going to fit the bill and can't wait to try them again. I'll definitely carry these in my pack whenever we head up the mountains.  Great product!

(DISCLOSURE: The reviewer received free product from the manufacturer in exchange for sharing this review.)

Absolutely perfect traction in these. They're really…

Source: The reviewer received free product from the manufacturer in exchange for sharing this review

Summary

Absolutely perfect traction in these. They're really easy to put on and take off, and you barely know they're on, except for the extra grip they give.

Make sure to try them on as they fit perfectly on my trail running shoes, but weren't ideal on my hiking boots. Tightening the velcro strap causes the rubber to roll up slightly, though this isn't a huge problem.

I'd recommend these to all my friends, despite the latter two points above!

Pros

• Super grippy
  • Easy to get on and off

Cons

• Toe-bar sat a little funny on my hiking boots
  • Velcro strap causes side to roll up

I have used these on a couple of hikes in the snow and ice up Hollyburn Mountain in North Vancouver. I was able to put them on with only one hand, which is a bonus! Once they were on I hardly noticed them.

As I said above, they were fantastic with my trail running shoes since they didn't slip around at all, but they did slide slightly on my hiking boots. It seemed that the toe-bar didn't fit my hiking boots as well as it did the running shoes. That being said, they still functioned well!

I can see myself using these for winter and spring running in the mountains a lot!

These crampons seem really well made in terms of materials. Everything feels thick and heavy duty, but light at the same time. The only other issue has to do with the velcro strap, I noticed that the velcro can cause the rubber to roll up a little when you cinch it tight. Since it's not really required this isn't such a big deal.

Try on a pair of these and take them for a test hike, you'll love them!!

The 18 spikes give excellent traction and the large…

Source: received it as a sample, freebie, or prize (Alpine Start store / Hillsound)

Summary

The 18 spikes give excellent traction and the large back tab is very useful. Overall a great snow and ice traction device for icy trails and moderate icy snow fields.

Pros

• Excellent fit
  • Great traction
  • Perfect stuff sack

Cons

• None

I used the Trail Crampon Ultras Nov. 26 on the Black Mountain Trail to Eagle Bluff and the following day near the first lookout on the Elk-Thurston trail.

They slipped onto my boots easily. My partner's traction device had 8 spikes while these crampons have 18; the difference was noticeable. The traction was significantly better.

The velcro straps could be useful, however I like the fact that the straps can be removed.

On the North Shore this device is essential during the winter and spring.

These crampons have insane traction and are super…

Source: received it as a sample, freebie, or prize (won as draw prize at Phantom Trail Race)

Summary

These crampons have insane traction and are super light for hiking and running in the snow. I had a couple problems with the toe-bar, but was able to fix that.

Pros

• Unbelievable traction
  • Super light

Cons

• Fit wasn't right on my Altra shoes (big deal, but fixed)
  • Side rubber rolled when tightened (not a big deal)

I'll only list a few of the highlights of my experience with these as I wrote an in-depth gear review on my blog when I got them (see below for a link).

The traction and grip with these is outstanding. I used them in snow and on ice and they didn't slip once!

The spikes and chains feel very sturdy and the upper rubber is nice and thick, not flimsy.

Despite the two points above, they feel extremely light and barely noticeable when you're wearing them.

I did have a couple of issues with the fit of them since the shoes I was wearing them with are anatomically shaped. That is to say that they aren't pointy in the front. This caused the crampons to slide around somewhat. I was able to fix that by making a small modification to them (see the second link).  For a comparison, my partner has a more pointy pair of shoes that she used her crampons on, and they stayed put, no sliding around.

The other qualm I have with these, though it's not very important, is that the upper rubber rolls up slightly when tightening the velcro strap. This really isn't a problem, but I figured it could have been resolved by adding a small eyelet through the middle of the rubber portion.

For a detailed review check out:

traileffect.com/2013/11/hillsound-trail-crampon-ultra-gear.html

and for a follow-up post:

traileffect.com/2013/12/modification-to-my-hillsound-trail.html

Hopefully I didn't scare anyone off of these. They really are great and I plan to use them A LOT this winter!

Light, easy to use trail crampons. Slip on easily…

Source: received it as a sample, freebie, or prize (A promotional prize from the manufacturer)

Summary

Light, easy to use trail crampons. Slip on easily over hiking boots, and are perfect for winter hiking or trail running.

Pros

• Light
  • Easy to put on and take off
  • Good traction

Cons

• None yet

I used the Hillsound Trail Crampon Ultra, which I received through a promotional offer, when I hit snow at the end of a long uphill hike. They were easy to put on and performed as promised, making those last steps faster and easier. They were light and flexible enough that I barely noticed that I was wearing them when running to celebrate the end of the hike.

I held back from the full five stars because I have not used them enough to know how they perform under more extreme conditions or over time, and because the instructions mention there is a chance of rust, but again I can't know yet if that will be an issue.

Also I am not in love with the look of the velcro strap, though it does its job well.

Lightweight, stay on, good traction — I love them!

Price Paid: 80

Summary

Lightweight, stay on, good traction — I love them!

• Traction
  • Easy on and off

Cons

• None yet

Great crampons for winter hiking where it is icy. Easy to use and lightweight.

These are great and have earned a permanent spot in…

Source: received it as a personal gift (kept it and use it)

Summary

These are great and have earned a permanent spot in my backpack!

Pros

• Easy to put on

Cons

• None so far

Winter is here! At least in Garibaldi Park. Used my brand new Trail Crampon Ultras on a trek up to Elfin Lake this past weekend. They were great — so easy to put on and no adjustments needed. No slipping or sliding and I hardly noticed I had them on.

Used them again on a hike up Black Mountain on December 14 — not a lot of snow but very slick ‚ crampons worked extremely well — no slipping and no problems when the snow was thin and I hit rocks - nice.

Need to make sure that you dry them after using so they don't rust.

Thinking this would make a great Christmas present!

While I received a pair of gaiters from the manufacturer for writing this review, I would have received them whether the review was favorable or not.

The crampons slip on to my hiking boots without any…

Source: tested or reviewed it for the manufacturer (Kept it)

Summary

The crampons slip on to my hiking boots without any problems. There is a velcro strap with keeps them attached to the boots, even while running downhill. And I was able to stand on ice covered rocks with confidence. They work excellent !!!

Pros

• Easy to use
  • Stayed on - never fell off
  • Excellent traction never slid

Cons

• None!

I used the TRAIL CRAMPON ULTRAS to assist me up one of the 46 high peaks in the Adirondacks, New York. Even though it was 15 below zero and there was a 2,000 foot elevation gain, the crampons made my climb easy !!!!

Hillsound Trail Crampon Ultra

The Hillsound Trail Crampon Ultra is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen August 21, 2014 at EMS.

If you're looking for a new crampon, check out the best reviewed current models.