Keen Gypsum Mid

This boot fit very comfortably right out of the box,…

Price Paid: C$179

Summary

This boot fit very comfortably right out of the box, with no chafing, blistering or problem pressure points on my first hike (14 km). The toe area is nice and wide, so it's easy to wiggle your toes to help keep them warm when hiking in snow or using these boots with snowshoes. The only weak point is that when hiking, I can "feel" rocks and stones a little more than I'd like.

Pros

• Waterproofing is excellent

Cons

• Structure of footbed doesn't mute the feeling of sharp rocks and stones underfoot as much as I'd like on rougher trails

Over the past 7 weeks I've worn these boots on several hikes in New Zealand and quite a few walks in Canada. So in just a short time I've tried them out in both summer and winter conditions.

I've been wearing Keen's for years — sandals, walking shoes and light hiking boots. This is my first pair of Gypsum Mid (Women's). Keen's waterproofing has worked well on wet trails and in the snow. I've also worn them while using a handheld shower to clean them off, and have had no trouble with water penetration.

I like the good fit around the heel and the looser fit across the ball of my foot, especially in the toe area. Room to wiggle your toes is especially important when winter hiking/snowshoeing and these boots earn 5 stars on this particular point.

My sole (sic) disappointment has been with the structure of the footbed. When hiking Single Cone and the Tongariro Crossing in New Zealand, the sole transmitted a lot more of the "feel" of rocks and stones underfoot than I've come to expect from Keen walking shoes and boots.

I think my current pair of Keen Targhee II light trail shoes does a much better job muting uneven terrain. I noticed the same decrease in overall foot comfort when I used Kahtoola MICROspikes on these — a little bit of lumpiness under the balls of my feet where one of the spikes is positioned.

Please note, this is not an extreme problem. It hasn't prevented me from finishing any hikes (up to 20 km) or winter walks. It just means the bottoms of my feet get tired a little sooner than they would in a boot with a more robust footbed/sole.

Unless unusual wear and tear issues crop up over the 2014 summer hiking season here in Canada, it's quite likely I'll replace these boots with another pair of the same model when the time comes.

As comfortable as a boot could possibly be. Imagine…

Summary

As comfortable as a boot could possibly be.

Pros

• Cushiony inside, tough outside.
  • Pure comfort.
  • KeenDry WPB membrane works.

Cons

• A day or so to dry if water gets in the top.
  • Traction sketchy on smooth wet rock.

Imagine wrapping thin pillows around your ankles and walking on a rubber mat. With bumpers on your toes.

That was the first impression, and many days of tough use later they still feel the same way. I'd be surprised if it was possible to get blisters in these, given the right size. The ankle-locking lace system works, so I could half size up from 'town' shoes and have maximum wiggle room with no chafing or slippage.

They are built noticeably wide in the forefoot, which lets the foot adapt to long hikes and uneven terrain. Less foot fatigue at the end of the day than other shoes and boots I've tried. The sole is flexible, but thick enough to feel solid and stable. Traction is good on steep dry rock, and in loose dirt, gravel and mud; the one time I've slipped in these was on sloped wet rock.

The waterproof-breathable membrane does what I hoped it would do. My feet are dry in shallow streams, dew-covered grass, waterlogged moss, puddly bogs, and drippy undergrowth. The leather 'skeleton' of the boot has quite a bit of mesh in smart places, and feet don't feel swampy. No sweat-damp socks til July.

However, don't get water over the top of them, or let rain run down into them. Remember the cushions? Day at least to dry, so put rain pants or gaiters over them.

So far these Gypsum Mids have seen six long trips (10 days plus) and about a year's worth of 3 day weekend trips, with no real sign of wear. They're used on barrens, bogs, beaches, boreal forests ... varied terrain, not primarily rock, never pavement, so YMMV.

I wanted a higher cut boot because I was tired of mud, sand and pine needles in my shoes. It was either commit to a permanent shoe-gaiter combo, or try boots. I tried on dozens of boots at multiple stores over a long period of time. Still very happy with these, would buy again.

rated 4.50 of 5 stars All Gypsum Mid versions

In addition to the 2 women's reviews above, there is 1 review for another version of the Gypsum Mid. Read all reviews »

Visit Keen's Gypsum Mid page.

Follow the trail farther afield in the Gypsum Mid, an all-terrain boot built with the technology to take you there. Featuring a wide, 4mm lugged outsole, a KEEN.Zorb strobel and KEEN.DRY waterproof breathable membrane, the Gypsum Mid delivers the stability, comfort and moisture management needed for overnight hikes and winter ascents.

- RockCreek

Blaze the trail with ease in these midheight hiking shoes. Waterproof nubuck leather upper and KEEN.Dry waterproof membrane keep feet dry on wet trails on rainy days. Dual-density EVA midsole and the metatomical support system are anatomically designed to cradle the natural contours of your feet for exceptional comfort and support. Their lugged-rubber outsole and protective toe guard are tough enough to cover varying terrain gradations. Imported.

- L.L.Bean

CLOSEOUTS . Enjoy all-weather comfort no matter how many miles you plan to hike in Keen's Gypsum mid hiking boots. The wet weather protection of a KEEN.DRY waterproof breathable membrane and the shock absorption of KEEN.Zorb strobel construction makes for happy feet on long trail days. Available Colors: GARGOYLE/TAWNY OLIVE, DARK EARTH/MIMOSA, DARK EARTH/CELESTIAL, GARGOYLE/EVENTIDE. Sizes: 5, 5.5, 6, 6.5, 7, 7.5, 8, 8.5, 9, 9.5, 10, 10.5, 11, A.

- Sierra Trading Post

4mm multi directional lugsDual density compression molded EVA midsoleKEEN.DRY (TM) waterproof breathable membraneKEEN.Zorb strobelNon-marking rubber outsolePatented toe protectionRemovable metatomical dual density EVA footbedS3 Heel support structureTorsion stability ESS shankTPU heel stabilizerWaterproof nubuck leather upper Specifications Weight: 15 oz/425 gType: Hiking Boots, WaterproofFit Tip: We find this style runs pretty true to sizeLining: KEEN.DRY(TM) waterproof breathable membraneUpper: Leather and textileRubber: Non-marking rubber outsoleMeasurement Note: Our measurements were taken using a Women's size 7 US (37.5 EU). Measurements may vary by size. Hybrid.ologies S3: Shock, suspension, stability - otherwise known as S3 - is engineered to support the foot on impact, dissipate shock and reduce your odds of twisting an ankle.Keen.Dry: A proprietary waterproof, breathable membrane that lets vapor out without letting water in.Metatomical Footbed Design: This internal support mechanism is anatomically engineered to provide excellent arch support and cradle the natural contours of the foot.Keen.Protect: Can a sandal protect your toes? The answer is yes. The reason is KEEN Patented Toe Protection where the shoe outsoles wrap up and over the toes for ultimate protection. Product Care Care for Waterproof/Breathable: Gently brush the footwear with a damp, soft sponge or hand towel to remove loose dirt and restore surface. Stains should be treated immediately with a gentle solvent-based cleaner. This process may cause slight discoloration to the affected area.

- River Sports Outfitters