Kelty Gunnison 1.1

Pole type 2 Hubbed and DAC NSL
Wall Material 70D Polyester, Dye Free
Floor Material 70D Nylon 1800 mm
Fly Material 75D Polyester 1800 mm

Quick/easy setup, great 1-person backpacking tent,…

Summary

Quick/easy setup, great 1-person backpacking tent, sturdy in wind.

Pros

• Ease of setup
  • Roomy vestibule

Cons

• Could be lighter

I bought this tent new to replace a two-person tent and have used it several times on North Georgia sections of the Appalachian Trail. It sets up easily and fairly quickly.

Pitched camp one night with a storm moving in, tent stayed taught and in place on an inclined site (no flat spot when storm pushed in) with winds that sounded like a freight train howling up the side of the mountain. My backpacking buddy's bivy style tent went down at some point during the night for comparison. Stayed dry, no noticeable wind penetration, slight frost on the canopy next morning, no noticeable condensation issues.

Vestibule is roomy enough for my Gregory Whitney with room to move in and out of tent easily. Length and height are good for my body at 5'-9". I am a pretty restless sleeper and had no issues with width. Tent packs down easily for a quick exit the next morning. No issues with hardware yet, don't anticipate any.

Welcome to Trailspace, Jeffrey! Thanks for the review. ~Goose (real name Jeffery)

Bought this to replace an old Coleman single person…

Price Paid: around $120

Summary

Bought this to replace an old Coleman single person tent I've had since the mid-90s. This is last year's model that I bought from the Kelty "On Sale" website at about $120 I think. Not the lightest, but reasonable. Setup is very fast.

Pros

• Fast setup (couple of minutes)
  • Long enough for my 6'3" frame
  • Stand alone design makes it easy to move around
  • Vestibule is a good size for backpack and boots

Cons

• Not the lightest at about 4.5 - 5 lbs (w/footprint)
  • A bit narrow

I've yet to put this to the test in the field. I bought this tent a couple of months ago as a replacement for an old bivey style Coleman I've had since the mid-90s.  I've set it up in my yard along with the new Kelty 2.5i Recluse sleeping pad and "rested" in it for a while. It is a bit narrow but is long enough to handle my 6'3" body so I expect it to work out nicely.

Compared to the bivey style of the Coleman this one is spacious and I can actually sit up in it (with my head lightly touching the top). For this reason, I'll not use the cargo net that comes with it or I'll figure out a way to configure it for easy attach/detach. Update: I installed four of those little Nite Ize clips to each tie strap so I can quickly hook it up at night so stow my glasses, my book, etc. while sleeping.

For the price, I cannot complain about the extra pound of weight vs the 3 lbs but twice the price options. I will replace the cheap stakes with the MSR shorties which may be slightly lighter but definitely stronger. I look forward to putting this tent to the test over the summer and I'll come back and update this once I've used it some.

Update Oct '13:  I used the tent several times this summer and really enjoy it. The weather was never really bad so I didn't have to spend much time in it other than to sleep but if I had to weather a long storm in it, I think I'd get a bit stir crazy.  I brought along a small tarp to extend the vestibule and so I'd have some extra elbow room if I needed cover but didn't want to be in the tent.

The vestibule itself is a nice size. My 88L backpack easily fit under one side which left the other side available for my boots, a light, etc. Now that I've used it, I added half a star. Nice little tent!

100_2561.jpg

Visit Kelty's Gunnison 1.1 page.

The Kelty Gunnison 1.2 tent has a simple 2-pole design that makes it easy to set up in any weather, at any time. Its roomy interior provides all the comfort you need.

A backcountry staple, the Kelty Gunnison 1.2 Tent is a free-standing 3-season shelter that offers a quick 2-pole set-up and a spacious interior for room to spare. Gear loft included!

- CampSaver.com

Kelty Gunnison 1.2 Tent - The Gunnison 1.2 tent from Kelty continues to be a backcountry staple for good reason. This freestanding shelter offers quick set-up and a spacious interior. The ArcEdge raised and taped floor seams ensure water stays on the outside. DAC Pressfit aluminum poles with Jake's foot attachment speed set up and improve stability. There's plenty of mesh for ventilation, and room for storage with the gear loft, internal pockets, and vestibule. Rainfly vents keep air moving, and the welded window lets you check the weather for the comfort of your sleeping bag. Save space without giving up comfort in the Kelty Gunnison 1.2 tent.

- Outdoorplay

Take the Kelty Gunnison 1.1 Tent on your next backcountry adventure. This free-standing, 3-season shelter has a quick and easy 2-pole set-up and the DAC NSL Featherlite poles are designed to optimize strength and flexibility while minimizing weight. Rugged and durable, the Kelty Gunnison 1.1 Tent can handle varied conditions and delivers reliable comfort through many years of use.

- Altrec Outdoors