Kelty Impact 30

Good day pack, extra light, comfortable and adjustable.

Source: received it as a personal gift

Summary

Good day pack, extra light, comfortable and adjustable. Good for a single day of hiking.

Pros

• Suspension system

Cons

• Lack of organization inside
  • Hydration compatability

The Agile Suspension system on this pack is the highlight of its capabilities. The system is supposed to shift weight off your shoulders and onto your hips. I can honestly say that it works.

I hiked a 9-mile day hike with the family and I carried most of the water and all of the food while barely feeling it. The mesh back panel and HDPE lumbar pads helped to keep the pack away from my back and allowed the air to flow in between. The waist belt was a little higher than I would like and was not really adjustable but it did work well once I tightened it up.

The outer shell is a durable polyester fabric which stood up to abuse of scrambling over rocks and through the brush. The included rain cover is a nice feature although I have not had to use it yet.

Although this pack is listed as "Hydration-compatible" for housing your water bladder I had a tough time putting my Platypus 3.0 Hoser bag into the provided slot. The 'arch' built into the back made it almost impossible to put the filled bladder into the slot.

There are several zippered pockets on the waist belt and on the outside of the backpack but I would have liked to see a divider or two inside the pack to help organize things better. It lists a bottom sleeping-bag compartment but I have not used that yet, and it looks a bit small for anything but a lightweight bag. The two water bottle pockets on either side of the pack use a stretchy 'spandex' like material, which I like a lot better than the standard mesh that most packs use.

Overall this is a good lightweight pack that works well for your average day hike.