Kelty Recluse 2.5i

Packed length 11 in / 28 cm
Packed Diameter 6 in / 15 cm
Material TPU Laminate
Fabric 70D Nylon

I tested this pad during a four-day sea kayaking trip…

Price Paid: sample for review from Kelty

I tested this pad during a four-day sea kayaking trip to the Apostle Islands over Labor Day. Space was limited in my kayak. It was essential that the chosen pad take up minimal space, could fit through the small hatches of my kayak, but still be comfortable to sleep on. And, because we would be camping on different islands each night, inflating it had to be quick and dirty.

Many demands were placed on a single camp pad. Did the Recluse 2.5i make the cut?

Muh-huh.

The conditions of the trip were ideal for testing a camp pad. The days in the kayak were relatively long and rough, even by Lake Superior standards. The waves ranged from gentle swells to four-foot beaming monsters. The winds blew anywhere from 10 to 20 knots. The nights were chilly. After a day paddling, I wanted to lie down on a camp pad that quickly inflated and didn’t require much effort from me. I honestly had none to give after a day on Lake Superior.

Inflating the Recluse 2.5i was a breeze. A unique, integrated hand pump fully inflates the pad in about three minutes. Just open the side valve and pretend you’re giving CPR. If you spend a lot of time camping above 10,000 feet, this is a nice feature because you won’t have to blow air into the pad and suffer a head rush. This ease of inflation scored the Recluse mega bonus points because, like I stated earlier, the days were long and physical and we camped on a different island each night.

For comfort after a day paddling, the Recluse 2.5i has multiple air channels that cradle your body and keep you centered on the pad. I didn’t slide around on the pad, like I’m want to do on other pads. The pad itself is sized perfectly. It is not too narrow that you can’t be comfortable, but not so wide that it makes a tight fit inside the tent.

Deflating is also simple and fast and getting it back into its storage sack is a lot easier than other camp pads I’ve known. Open the air valves, flop on the pad, listen to hissing of deflation and then fold it into thirds, like you would a bath towel. It packs down small to fit in any pack or the woefully undersized hatches of a Nigel Dennis Romany sea kayak.

Overall impression? Very good. It doesn’t offer the same level of insulation and comfort as my Exped Downmat, which is my barometer for measuring camp pads, but the price and weight and ease of inflation, deflation and stuffing it back into its sack spanks Exped.

To be fair, the Recluse 2.5i and the Exped Downmat isn’t exactly an apple-to-apple comparison. Still, I highly recommend the Recluse 2.5i and I did in fact find it to be a comfortable pad on which to sleep.

Best sleeping pad I've used so far. At 52 years old,…

Summary

Best sleeping pad I've used so far.

Pros

• Small, lightweight
  • Integrated pump
  • Comfort is adjustable with easy to reach release valve
  • Appears to be well made

Cons

• None so far

At 52 years old, 6'3" and 210 lbs I was ready to move up from my trusty old Therm-a-Rest to something a bit more cushy. I got this last winter in prep for some summer camping with my kids.

After several backpack outings, I can say this is, by far, more comfortable than my Therm-a-Rest (traditional style from the mid-90s).  Pump it up firm, get settled in, then adjust the comfort by slowly releasing air from the valve just above your head.

The integrated hand pump works well and so far, the durability seems good. Time will tell as I have read some reports of air leaking. I like the fact that I can pack my sleeping bag and this pad in the zippered bottom of my backpack so I don't have the big, rolled up pad on the outside of the pack.

Nothing more important than how you sleep at night…

Summary

Nothing more important than how you sleep at night on the trail. The Recluse 2.5i has been perfect, even at 6'2"and 210lbs it has been extremely comfortable. Rolls up tight, a little bigger than soda can. The integrated pump works flawlessly and the raised sides keep you from rolling off it. Excellent product, very durable.

Pros

• Light
  • Packs small

Cons

• None

Kelty did a great job with this product. The Recluse 2.5i is one of, if not the best, sleeping pads I've ever used and the insulation definitely helps here in Northern New England. I pair this with my Kelty Cosmic Down 20 and it's great.

The integrated hand pump works effortlessly and as advertised, it only takes about 1-2 minutes to inflate. It also doesn't lose any air during the night which other brands have been known to do. I also like the raised sides as it keeps me on the pad.

I'm extremely impressed at how durable this pad is. Its been on about two dozen outings and never fails. It does include a repair kit, but I don't see myself ever needing it because of how well made the pad is. But of course I'll keep it in the bag because you never know.

For backpackers needing some extra comfort on backcountry overnights, Kelty’s inflatable Recluse sleep pads smooth out any campsite with 2.5” of air-cushioned support. A unique, integrated hand pump guarantees quick, easy inflation without huffing and puffing... a feature you'll really appreciate when camping at altitude.

With 140 grams of synthetic insulation, the Recluse 2.5i has multiple air channels for excellent support and all-night comfort.

Larger outer channels act as a cradle, keeping you centered on the pad. PVC-free, the Recluse pads pack down small to fit in any pack.

Visit Kelty's Recluse 2.5i page.

The Kelty Recluse 2.5 Insulated Mat has 140g/m2 of synthetic insulation bonded to the top layer and is designed for backpackers that find themselves out all-year round. With 2.5 inches of support, this air channel pad is designed to assure a stable, sound nights rest. The advanced design incorporates a quick and easy integrated hand pump for efficient inflating and deflating

- CampSaver.com

Kelty Recluse 2.5i - Insulated Air MatThe Kelty Recluse 2.5i - Insulated Air Mat gives you a comfortable and a good night sleep, during your hiking and camping adventures. Its 140g/m synthetic insulation provides you with remarkable comfort and warmth, even under cold weather conditions. With the availability of the hand pump, inflating and deflating this mat proves to be completely hassle-free and will give you the benefit of packing and unpacking easily. Storage will never be an issue, once deflated. The repair kit included comes in handy if you need to mend or patch-up minor tears on the mat, while you are on the go. You can deflate, fold, and store this mat easily after use, thanks to the stuff sack provided. Make sure you get the Kelty Recluse 2.5i - Insulated Air Mat to fully enjoy your next outing.

- SunnySports

When you're looking to shave a few ounces without sacrificing comfort in the backcountry, look to the Kelty Recluse 2. 5ni Mummy Sleeping Pad. Equipped with an integrated fast-action hand pump, the Recluse 2. 5 ni makes it super-easy to set up without losing your breath, while its ultralight, compact construction cuts down on unnecessary weight and space in your backpack.

Free Shipping. Kelty Recluse 2.5 Non-Insulated Pad FEATURES of the Kelty Recluse 2.5 Non-Insulated Pad Repair kit included Stuff sack included Integrated manual hand pump PVC Free Non-Insulated Oversized outer air chambers provide added stability and keep you centered on the pad through the night SPECIFICATIONS of the Kelty Recluse 2.5 Non-Insulated Pad R-Value: 1.0 Length: 72' / 182.9 cm Width: 20in. / 50.8 cm Thickness: 2.5in. / 6.4 cm Packed Length: 11in. / 28 cm Packed Diameter: 6in. / 15 cm Weight: 1 lb 8 oz / 0.7 kg Shape: Mummy TPU Laminate / 70D Nylon