Kelty Red Cloud 90

Suspension Adjustable Adjustable
Torso Fit Range 14.5 - 18.5 in / 37 - 47 cm 17.5 - 21 in / 44 - 53 cm
Body Fabric 420D Polyester Ball Shadow 420D Polyester Ball Shadow
Reinforcement Fabric 420D Polyester Oxford 420D Polyester Oxford

Overall this pack fits the niche very well. For me…

Summary

Overall this pack fits the niche very well. For me its a great pack to store my supplies plus supplies for the group. This bag is well constructed and shows little wear so far. For the price the Red Cloud is spot on and definitely one of the best bags I used.

Pros

• Great pockets makes for easy organization
  • Great size for 1 person that can handle group weight
  • Price

Cons

• Little heavy
  • No built-in rain cover
  • Pack rides a little loose

At first I was looking at the Kelty Coyote 80 but talked myself in to the Red Cloud 90. The two packs are very similar in design and both offer a lot of the same features. Ultimately it was the Red Cloud's extra bottom compartment that sold me. After using this backpack for almost a year now I have developed some opinions about it.

I was never a boy scout but I have always liked being prepared for every event I attend. Because of this I do tend to over pack sometimes. Not only do I like to over pack I also like having the ability to pack some comfort items if possible and that's where the extra 10L comes into play for me.

The bottom compartment does have a divider to separate it from the rest of the pack. This is useful when I put dirty or wet items in my pack. Another reason why I went with the larger pack is because I usually hike with my girlfriend. She's a smaller framed girl and has trouble carrying a lot of weight. I can easily take on "a few" (according to her) extra items so that she is not weighted down. No one likes hiking with a cranky girlfriend!

Besides the size of the pack, I love the configuration of pockets the Red Cloud offers. Having used larger packs that only offer one large compartment I've come to love the organization the Red Cloud provides. The side pockets make it easy to find things and comes in handy when storing items that are regularly used. I especially love the pocket that opens up to allow access to the main compartment. It makes all the difference in the world when trying to find things.

The pack feels great even after loading it down. I'm a larger size man, 6' and 215lb., and I don't feel like a fat man with a little pack. Every strap exceeds lengths needed even for me. I do have problems when I'm not filling up my pack all the way. The pack seems loose and the weight moves around a bit. Because it's a larger pack I cant complain to much about it but I do wish I could pull some of the compression straps tighter. All the padding is very comfy but it does create some sweat spots.

Some of the things I would criticize the Red Cloud for is the lack of a built-in rain cover. I feel like every large pack should come with one. Also the dry weight of this pack is a little heavy. Some of the straps are excessively long and can become annoying by brushing your legs and arms. The fabric that covers the zipper for the bottom compartment is very tight and can sometimes get jammed in the zipper itself.

Overall this pack fits the niche very well. For me it's a great pack to store my supplies plus supplies for the group.  This bag is well constructed and shows little wear so far. For the price the Red Cloud is spot on and definitely one of the best bags I used.

FromSagetoSnow

I also own a RedCloud and can add a +1 to the long strap issue. I'd need a 60" waist to use all that strap

Visit Kelty's Red Cloud 90 page.

There is a reason why the Red Cloud 90 Pack has been in the Kelty line for years. A perfect blend of load carrying capacity, comfortable suspension, custom fit, simplified organization, and durable construction make this load hauler the only pack youll need for extended backcountry adventures.

- CampSaver.com

Free Shipping. Kelty Red Cloud 90 Pack FEATURES of the Kelty Red Cloud 90 Pack Top loading Sleeping bag compartment Front-panel access Lid converts into lumbar pack Hydration compatible Water bottle pockets Side compression straps Lower compression and pad straps Ice-axe loop Daisy Chain Zippered side pockets Hipbelt pockets Large front pocket with organization Key fob Haul handle CloudLock II Adjustable suspension LightBeam dual aluminum stays HDPE frame sheet Dynamic AirFlow back panel AirMesh shoulder straps, waist belt, and lumbar HDPE reinforced waist belt Dual density foam waist belt Removable waist belt Hipbelt stabilizer straps Scherer Cinch Load-lifter/stabilizer straps Sternum strap Ventilating back panel SPECIFICATIONS of the Kelty Red Cloud 90 Pack Body Fabric: 420D Polyester Ball Shadow Reinforcement Fabric: 450D Polyester Oxford The SPECS for S/M Length: 32in. / 81 cm Width: 18in. / 46 cm Depth: 15in. / 38 cm Volume: 5300 cubic inches / 87 liter Suspension: Adjustable Weight: 5 lbs 9 oz / 2.5 kg Torso Fit Range: 14.5 - 18.5in. / 37 - 47 cm Waist Belt Fit Range: 30 - 48in. / 76 - 121 cm The SPECS for M/L Length: 33in. / 84 cm Width: 19in. / 48 cm Depth: 15in. / 38 cm Volume: 5500 cubic inches / 90 liter Suspension: Adjustable Weight: 5 lbs 10 oz / 2.5 kg Torso Fit Range: 17.5 - 21in. / 44 - 53 cm Waist Belt Fit Range: 32 - 54in. / 81 - 137 cm

Featuring the new Cloudlock 2 suspension, extra pockets, and a detachable lid, the Kelty Red Cloud 90 Backpack is more than a pack, its a way of life. With gear this durable and affordable, backpacking has never been easier.

- Altrec Outdoors

Kelty Red Cloud 90 Internal PackThe Kelty Red Cloud 90 Internal Pack is just the right load-hauler for an extended hiking or camping vacation. The backpack's CloudLock II adjustable suspension ensures a comfortable fit for a hike or a camping adventure with a heavy load. Top loading makes it easy to pack and a sleeping bag compartment makes it suitable for overnight trips. You can use a hydration system to fulfill your thirst, with the included feature in this pack. The LightBeam dual aluminum stays make it light weight and comfortable, when you carry it everywhere you go. The hip belt stabilizer straps with Scherer cinch make it easy to tighten the hip belt. Use the Kelty Red Cloud 90 Internal Pack as it accommodates all what you need to go on that back country hiking trip.

- SunnySports