Klymit Cush

This is my absolutely go-to luxury item. Light, comfortable,…

Summary

This is my absolutely go-to luxury item. Light, comfortable, and endless options with this Klymit Cush pillow/seat.

Pros

• Light
  • Cheap
  • Packs small

I am not one personally to bring a pillow. It's habit to toss my hiking clothes into a dry sack and use that as my pillow for the evening. Honestly, I bought this because REI was having a clearance sale and I picked it up for $7. For $7 I'll buy just about anything to try it.

Now let me tell you... this has become absolutely a permanent fixture in my backpack. It is most definitely my go-to luxury item now. Whether sitting or sleeping, I use this constantly. I even use it on puzzle night with the family when I'm sitting on the floor and in the office chair when it becomes uncomfortable at the end of the week. I never let it get too far from me.
KLYMIT1.png

First off, this blows up with a single breath. Not one of those, red in the cheeks, almost passing out breath's. Just a normal breath will do it. With the baffle system, the air flows through easily. The valve is neat.. I personally think it should be utilized in more places.

When you're done blowing you just push on it with your mouth and it locks down not letting any air out. Then after you remove it from your mouth you give it a quick turn to lock it in place. It's a very slick design.

Deflating it is just as easy. A quick turn of the cap, pull, and the air practically comes out on its own. Roll it from the bottom to the valve and no air what so ever gets left in the pillow.

Now size...
KLYMIT7.png
I personally put this right in my waist belt pocket for easy access. Blown up it measures a very long 29" and has a width of 9" and a cushion height of 1.5". Packed down you can get this thing down to about 4" in height and about 1" in diameter. Weighing in at only 2.89 oz you literally do not know that you have this with you.

The length plays a major factor in the design as does its baffles. Use it in long form in your mummy bag, cradling your head. It has built in spots for your ears to alleviate sore spots or pressure. Fold it in half or thirds for a taller pillow, or fold it in fourths to prop your head up for reading. FOUR configurations in one pillow!

The baffles allow it to fold easily and in several other ways as well. Not only is it an added layer of wind protection and warmth, it's extremely comfortable to sleep on.
KLYMIT5.png
KLYMIT4.png
KLYMIT2.png

This pillow/seat is completely waterproof and soft to the touch. Thus far it has proven to be extremely durable. I use it most because I do not like to remove my sleeping pad to sit for a break or lunch. I just pull this out, blow it up, fold it in half, and throw it on the ground.

I have used this on ledge, grass, in the tent, on pine needles, in the bleachers, in the sand, and on top of many other types of wet ground. In less than a minute I can have it unpacked, blown up, and over wet ground to keep myself dry.

I have yet to find a negative to this pillow other than the fact it's not necessary. I have never had a better night's sleep since I have gotten this pillow. It just seems to fit so perfectly in a hood and never moves or slides around. Never irritates my skin. I am having an extremely hard time finding a negative in regards to this. For as cheap as it is...try it.

Thanks for the pillow review, Uriah.

There was a time when pillows were the mark of the…

Summary

There was a time when pillows were the mark of the meek, the fragile, and the mild... No MORE!! Lightweight, super-durable, and perhaps most importantly, versatile, the Cush, from Klymit, is my go-everywhere-a-pillow-is-needed pillow!

Pros

• lightweight
  • 75D durable nylon
  • compresses down to nothing
  • versatile

Cons

• a little slippery

This neat little item does everything that it claims to be able to do on its packaging! As a pillow in the backcountry it is excellent and offers multiple shapes to suit every kind of sleeper: back, side, belly, etc!

As a seat, be it on rocky ground with overlook views, in a shelter waiting out a downpour, or on the floor of gate A6 awaiting the arrival of a flight that will never come while surrounded by people that may not all get seats on the plane the way that they all got seats at gate A6, the Cush is an ultralight life/ass-saver!

The Cush is shaped in such a way that, if opened up and laid flat, it is a single layer seat for two individuals.

image.jpg

With the wings folded beneath the center the Cush is a double layered butt cushion or a nice little pillow for the sleepy trekker.

image.jpg

I used the Cush in the evenings in its four layer form, with the wings folded under the center and then the center folded in half.

image.jpg

I have used all kinds of pillows form the foam filled drawstring camp pillows to the soft-on-the-inside stuff sacks that one fills with their extra layers; I can state confidently that I slept better on the Cush folded twice to make four layers than I ever have on any other kind of pillow.

The materials are strong and held up well through miles of wilderness filled with pine needles, thorns, abrasive stone, and splintery tent-platform-boards.

The valve is solid and very easy to use.

The product, still packaged, is shown here relative to the size of a standard business card:

image.jpg

The overall folded/deflated package is about the weight of a small aluminum carabiner and the volume of a deck of cards.  This is a small weight/space price to pay for cozy evening slumbers and squishy butt padding around the campfire!

This is a piece of gear for the adventure traveler, the wilderness wanderer, the hard core trekker, the ultralight thru hiker, and the raging gear geek too!!

I got this product for FREE when I purchased my sleeping…

Source: received it as a sample, freebie, or prize (Campsaver.com)

Summary

I got this product for FREE when I purchased my sleeping bag online from Campsaver.com and I love it! It only weighs 3 oz and it is very comfortable!

• Multiple configurations
  • 75 D polyester fabric
  • Can use as a seat
  • Mouth inflated

Cons

• None

I got this as a FREE gift and I love it! I take it with me on every trip. It folds in half or in thirds, it's pretty amazing. It's lightweight. It fits in my sleeping bag under my head or on top of my sleeping pad for extra head cushion.

I usually roll it in thirds and put a clean shirt over it an use as a comfy pillow. It packs down very small, fits in the palm of my hand. Great little pillow.
Great little pillow!

Nice cushion, but OK as pillow. Well constructed with…

Summary

Nice cushion, but OK as pillow. Well constructed with quick inflate (about 2 or 3 good breaths). Long and thin folds over to make a decent pillow. I have the Pillow X by Klymit that is a great pillow.

Pros

• Well constucted
  • Inflates quickly
  • Good seat

Cons

• Not best for pillow

The Cush is best for what the name implies—a cushion. Does a good job as a seat but not as good for a pillow. I bought it to use as a pillow along with a Pillow X, which is great but as a pillow.

The Cush inflates quickly and is well made. If you want something to sit on out on the trail this is a great product that is reasonable small and lightweight.

Welcome to Trailspace, Terry. Thanks for the review.

Thanks for the Cush review, Terry. I hope you'll review your Pillow X as well: http://www.trailspace.com/gear/klymit/pillow-x/

Lightweight, foldable backpacking pillow. Received…

Source: received it as a personal gift

Summary

Lightweight, foldable backpacking pillow.

Pros

• Can fold over to make thicker
  • Can use to sit on in camp

Received this as a gift for Christmas and I like it a lot. It's super easy to carry. I stuff it inside my mattress bag. It's long enough you can double it over to raise your head higher when you sleep. Can also be used to sit on if you need to in camp.

It packs down super small and adds virtually no weight…

Source: tested or reviewed it for the manufacturer (I kept it)

Summary

It packs down super small and adds virtually no weight to your pack, but can be inflated in 2-3 breaths. Great for camping or taking naps on mountain tops!

• Extremely packable

I have had it for 6 months now and have never had any issues. The material it is made from is very durable and has never punctured, even when I have used it on rocks and sticks.  Great for sleeping and sitting around on.