Great lightweight alternative to Therm-a-Rest!! Have…

Price Paid: $47.95 Regular: $59.95

Summary

Great lightweight alternative to Therm-a-Rest!!

Pros

• Super lightweight: 4.75 ounces
  • R-Value: 1.2
  • Packs flat vs. rolled: less space
  • Made in Netherlands: not China

Cons

• Tad expensive

Have been looking for a lightweight closed cell pad that would give me some extra padding, especially if my inflatable pad failed. My sleep system has been constantly refined over last two years. The Nemo Insulated Tensor is by far the most comfortable, warmest, and best weight advantage in an inflatable pad for me. As a light, cold sleeper, the crinkly noise with Therm-a-Rest simply did not work for me and I've tried literally about a dozen from Exped, Big Agnes, and Therm-a-Rest.

In addition, I wanted extra padding and a barrier against cold ground. So, for a closed cell foam mat, this shines!! ONLY 4.7 ounces ( 5 if you use their straps), and the design fits a slim but wider shape. I've compared it to the Therm-a-Rest RidgeRest Sol pad, which I like better than the Z-Lite pad, so see the pix. At 4.7 ounces, it weighs half the RidgeRest at 10 ounces!

NOTE: I only found the MAMMUT pad at Backcountry.com: it's theirs exclusively, I believe.

Thanks for sharing your review, Dr. Bryan. With the lower R value, what kind of temps have you slept in with this pad?

Thanks for the review, Bryan.

FromSagetoSnow

Cool! The Ridgerest is REALLY bulky.

Very lightweight, relatively warm. A high quality…

Summary

Very lightweight, relatively warm.

Pros

• Packable
  • Versatile

Cons

• Not really stand-alone
  • Expensive
  • Not durable

A high quality closed cell mat.

R value only 1.2 , but relative to weight that is very high (weighs 135 grams).

Packs quite small for a closed cell, and quite versatile, can be used as a seat or as a doubled up short mat (90 cm) with R value 2.4!

Update 11/22/2016:

After using it a few times I can see it is not very durable. Used it for a bit of yoga, lying down, all in the house. If it touches any hard edge like something on jeans or carpet it will leave a permanent mark, even start to fray the edge of the mat.

Still a very light comfy thing, just expensive for what you get.

Dr. Bryan

Thanks for this original review: did not see yours until I also reviewed it!