Marmot Trestles 15

This synthetic bag will take you where you need to…

Summary

This synthetic bag will take you where you need to go, on a budget and in style. Its rating runs true (depending on how warm of a sleeper you are, of course), and will stave off the cold even in shoulder seasons. It is a must-have sleeping bag for those new weekend warriors and those on a budget.

Pros

• Good price
  • Packs down well

Cons

• Zipper issues
  • Not the lightest

I've had this bag for a year now and am very pleased with how it has taken care of me. It is a great bag for those needing warmth but not ready to make the plunge into pricey down bags. I've used it in the cool summer months of CO, chilly late spring NM, and arid and warm TX highlands. Short and sweet: it does what it's supposed to do!

I am just shy of 6', 165lb, and a pretty average warmth sleeper. I have the Trestles Long, which runs just a little long and wide on me, but leaves me room to grow and wear layers or store layers at my feet. The half zip on the left side is handy for sitting up or ventilating.

The hood is okay... Not the best, but I've been able to manage fine with it. Pretty good loft for a synthetic fill, in my opinion, and packs down well inside my ALPS compression sack. Don't use the compression bag that comes with it. Not nearly good enough for the job.

Finding the right layering for sleeping can be tricky, mostly I've struggled with sweating and sticking to the inside of the bag. The coldest I've taken this down to was 11 degrees while snowshoeing in NM. I stayed toasty all night. Granted, I had on pretty much all my layers, but still, I was pleased with the Trestles.

I'm not sure how much lower than 10 degrees I would want to go in it, though. With the right sleeping pad and layering I'm sure 5 degrees is not a stretch, however if you're expecting anything lower, you will want to look elsewhere.

My main issue with this sleeping bag are the zippers. I don't think I've gotten a clean zip once, and I'm sure you'll find this consistent with most reviewers. This is only a bother if you're in a hurry to snuggle up or get out to take a leak and there is a zipper-jam.

Overall, I think the Marmot Trestles 15 is a MUST HAVE for anyone who is excited about backpacking but isn't ready to drop $300+ on a down bag. It is decently lightweight and compressible for its quality and is in my opinion one of the best deals on the market. On Backcountry.com I got mine on sale for $87 - a steal!

While there are other very good options out there like the North Face Cat's Meow or even other Marmot bags, I would definitely recommend the Trestles 15.

Eric Labanauskas

My first bag. Heck of a workhorse, but man, I'll agree on those zippers. Eventually had to zip and unzip it with two hands, feeding it through. That aside, though, can't do much better for a 15F bag in this price range.

Providing an excellent value in price, the Marmot…

Summary

Providing an excellent value in price, the Marmot Trestles 15 is true to its temperature rating and has kept me warm for many years, even in damp/wet conditions. At 4 lbs 1oz (for long size), the bag is a bit on the heavy side for long trips.

Pros

• Price
  • Quality
  • Durability

Cons

• Weight
  • Zipper snags easily

I purchased my Marmot Trestles 15 for a 5-night backpacking trip to Isle Royale National Park in 2007. It was my first time in a true backcountry situation, and I had no idea if I would every do it again. So I bought this bag primarily on price.

I ended up having a lousy tent during a week where rain and snow were daily occurrences. What saved that trip was this bag—keeping me warm and comfortable, even in a leaky tent. The outside of my bag was slightly damp every morning, but I was warm and dry inside. As the joke went with the other guys, "Your tent sucks, but you have a great sleeping bag."

Since then, it has seen use on many occasions in all kinds of weather. Even though I now own a down sleeping bag, my Trestles still gets a work out. I use it on short walk-ins to a camp site or when I haul gear in on my ATV. I save the down bag for true backpacking.

IMAG0261.jpg

Trestles inside my hammock and UnderQuilt.

Warmth: I have used my Trestles into the low teens. My feet tend to get cold below 15°F, but the rest of my body manages well. Wool socks solve this.

IMG_20131124_084736_584.jpg

13 degree morning in my hammock and Marmot Trestles.

Fit & Comfort: On my 6'2", 190lb frame, I find the Long version to fit me perfectly. I have enough room to move around a bit, without feeling claustrophobic.

Entry & Exit: The zipper is what knocks this down 1/2 star. There is definitely a sense that you are "fighting" the zipper as you get in or out. Experts suggest doing some sit-ups in your bag after you get into it to get warm—no need when you are trying to get the zipper closed. Late night trips to the bathroom can be a pain!

Moisture: As I stated before, I woke up three mornings in a row with a leaky tent. The outside of my bag was damp, but I was warm and dry inside.

Packability & Loft: The bag does not compress very well. It takes up a significant portion of a 65L pack. It lofts up well, even after 6+ years of use.

Durability: I treat my gear well, and after 6+ years, I feel I could sell this bag in "very good" condition. This speaks to the quality and durability of the bag.

Conclusion

While some would label this an "entry level" bag, I find this product to be a lot of "bang for the buck." No, I wouldn't haul this into alpine conditions, but for spring and fall camping this is an exceptional value. I've yet to find any synthetic bag so much better that it is worth paying more for.

Carrie Van Alstine

I grew up camping with tarped bottom (and sometimes tarted roof) cabin tents and rectangular zip-together sleeping bags from a discount store. Although my equipment has improved over the years, this "leaky tent" scenario seems familiar. A bag that keeps you warm and dry in less than ideal situations would sure make a camping trip more enjoyable.

G00SE

It's a great bag, Carrie.

This is a very comfortable and warm synthetic bag…

Summary

This is a very comfortable and warm synthetic bag for 3-season use. It has one of the best price-to-warmth ratios I have found. It is roomy with a number of good features which set it apart.

Pros

• Warm
  • Very roomy both in shoulder size/length
  • Quality materials
  • Strong zips and stiching

Cons

• Not the lightest
  • Does not pack small

This is my main cool/cold weather bag, I use it from Autumn thru to Spring. I have the XL version which is 6'6" as opposed to 6'3" long, shoulder width is the same as the standard version.  I appreciate the room and length as i am tall (6'4") & large (230 Pounds). I am impressed by the materials and fine construction.

N.B: This is not an Alpine bag I have used mine down to 20 degrees and found it fine, supposed to be good down to mid teens. Personally, I would not use it much below 20 degrees.

It has shoulder and neck drawcords, a good waterproof outer material and a handy key/MP3 pocket. The provided cram sack is excellent: good quality, well thought out and waterproof. The Trestles is a good choice if you are expecting moist conditions as it is moderately waterproof and can be dried quickly.

I have used mine extensively for 2 years and it still looks as new.

A good choice in a synthetic bag.

Very roomy comfy bag for three-season use. Used for…

Summary

Very roomy comfy bag for three-season use. Used for some autumn backpacking in the B.C alpine, whilst not packing very small the weight-to-warmth ratio is very surprising for the price.

Pros

• Warmth
  • Warm-to-weight ratio

Cons

• Doesn't pack very small

Would recommend making the room in your pack for this excellent value synthetic bag.

VERY warm. Used this bag in the Grand Canyon when…

Summary

VERY warm. Used this bag in the Grand Canyon when temps were in the 10°F range for several nights. Bag was super cozy and I wasn't cold any of those nights.

Pros

• Warmth
  • Compression

This bag, for the price, is excellent. It might not be as light as some others, but for $100 you can't beat its warmth and compression.

A warm, synthetic fill bag that keeps out the cold,…

Summary

A warm, synthetic fill bag that keeps out the cold, but packs up poorly.

Pros

• Great hood
  • So warm for the weight!

Cons

• Large compressed size

The bag was purchased to replace a worn-out summer sleeping bag with a real 3-season bag, and I have used it throughout Quebec in some chilly, rainy weather in Gaspesie and Monts Groulx, and some frosty mornings while car camping north of Lac St-Jean for about 6 months.

This bag is plenty warm, with a hood that keeps out all drafts. I purchased the long sized bag, but really, at 6'1, the long is too long — there is so much room in the footbox that my feet really can't warm up that space, so I have to tuck it around.

Getting in and out was never a problem, and so far the bag has not shown any signs of wear.

The big drawback of the bag is the packed size; I exect a synthetic bag to be bulky, but this bag, when compressed, most resembled a bowling ball in my backpack, taking up more space than I could afford.

This is actually a great bag.  I have had it now…

Price Paid: $60 on sale

This is actually a great bag.  I have had it now for 2 years and have used it extensively and it barely shows any wear.  I have used it in temp ranges from 15 degrees to 55 degrees and have never been uncomfortable.

I love the fact that you can control the climate in the bag!  The one side you can zip the bag down a quarter way and the other side is a full zip.  When the temps are warmer, you can unzip both sides and fold the top back.  When the temps are colder you can zip it completely up and be comfortable.

As far as getting cold, you have to take into consideration how you sleep normally.  If you sleep warm like I do, then a 15 degree bag will work down to 15 degrees and maybe lower depending on how you dress and if you buy a liner (a use a cotton Alps Mountaineering liner mostly to keep the inside of my bag from stinking and wearing out).  If you sleep cold (meaning that you need to wear extra covers) then you would be better off buying a zero degree bag.  Everybody sleeps at different temps and when buying a bag you must know how you sleep.

I have also read reviews on the zippers getting stuck.  This reviews usually come from those who do not know how to use a zipper in a bag.  I have never had any issues with the zipper!

In the end, this bag is warm and roomy and of very good quality.  I would recommend buying this bag (my dad also bought one this year after using mine for a cold weekend) to any one.

Also, store your bag unrolled (in a storage bin or under your bed).  If you keep a bag rolled up, the insulation slowly decompresses over time and your bag will not keep you warm.  Even after 6 months, your bag will not be as efficient!

I had a Cat's Meow 20F that I froze in the first night…

I had a Cat's Meow 20F that I froze in the first night (fully clothed, in a wooden shelter, at about 40F) and just about every night after that; I was cold even in mild (60F) conditions.

After more than 30 nights in it I finally gave up on it and got a Marmot Trestles 15F long extra wide.  I was concerned about the weight but did not notice it at all on a week-long 50 mile hike. The extra weight is more than compensated for by the quality of sleep I now get.  I am comfortable in just boxers and a tee even at 35 deg F.  Not ultralight, but it definitely is ultraplush. I love my Marmot Trestles 15F.

I was worried that I would be too hot in it, but that has not been a problem; although I have never used it above 65F.

My son has one; his friend has one.  We all love 'em.

This bag is great in temperatures around 30F. My fiancee…

Temperature Rating: 15F

This bag is great in temperatures around 30F. My fiancee and I (she has the women's Trestle 15) tried it in the high 20s this past weekend and had pretty chilly feet by morning. We are going to give one more try in the colder temps and see if making some changes to our sleeping configurations might make the difference. If it doesn't work, I'm going to see if I can't return them or sell them and get some warmer bags.

We do like the mateable feature for warmer temps (around 40F) but won't dare do it below 35F. They also stuff down pretty small for synthetic bags and just barely fit in our sleeping bag compartments on our backpacks but they're pretty roomy bags. The pocket inside is pretty big and will hold a lot but the velcro closure on it is small and stuff can slide past it and fall out (like a phone or ultra compact camera).

In the end it all depends on if you sleep warm or cold. If you need more warmth, try down. That's where we'll go next.

Although i live in virginia and hike mainly in summers,…

Fill: polarguard HV
Temperature Rating: 15f
Weight: 3.11 lbs ( long xtra wide)

Although i live in virginia and hike mainly in summers, I wanted a cold weather bag that wouldnt break the bank. My prayers were answered with the new Trestle line by Marmot. The first weekend i bought it in March i went camping during an unexpected cold snap ( 20 degrees) and i actually had to unzip a bit to cool off.

While it may not have some of the bells and whistles of its more expensive brothers the Trestle is a steal. I paid 129 for the long extra-wide. The regular comes in at a paltry 99 bucks!!! while it does weigh 3.11 for the extra wide it stuffs nice and small and since it keeps true to its temp rating i dont have to worry about bringing too many extra clothes to keep warm while sleeping. Besides the weight the only drawbacks i can see are the fact that it doesnt unzip all the way which doesnt allow one to vent their feet, and i wish Marmot would have put a pillow pocket in it like it did with the other new bags. I mean glow in the dark zipper pulls are nice but id rather have a pillow pocket.. And while on the subject can all bag manufacturers take a cue from Sierra Design and put pad locks on all sleeping bags!!!!

My Marmot Trestles has served me well for a couple…

Design: Mummy
Fill: synthetic
Temperature Rating: 15 degrees F
Weight: 3 lbs. 4 oz.

My Marmot Trestles has served me well for a couple of years, except for my early spring trips in Virginia. When temperatures dipped into the 20s on my first trip, I absolutely froze. I chalked it up to not having my wooly longjohns, but I still froze the next March when temps again fell into the 20's. Perhaps my experience is different from the other reviewers because I am a woman. I still rely on my Trestles for those damp trips in the late spring and early fall in Virginia, but I'm looking for something warmer for those colder nights.

This is a wonderful bag! My old Kelty was shredded…

Design: Mummy
Fill: synth.
Temperature Rating: 15 f
Weight: 3 ish?

This is a wonderful bag! My old Kelty was shredded after 10 years of use, and my softshell was Marmot so I decided to give their bags a try. Once again marmot didn't disappoint!

The only complaint I have is that I roll, and it's not super roomy! or else I would've given it 5 stars.
-pirate

This bag has all the quality workmanship I expect…

This bag has all the quality workmanship I expect from Marmot. So I think it's a great buy for the price. On a late fall trip to Glacier Nat'l Park the temp dropped into the low 20s. I was very cold in this bag that night. Some of that has to to with my mostly mesh tent not being great for winter weather. Anyway, for me this is a great bag for the 30-50 temp range.

I've used this bag at below 0 a few times without…

I've used this bag at below 0 a few times without a tent, full length ground pad only. I slept in layers and was chilly (feet) in the morning, but everything worked out ok. I typically handle colder temps well, so keep that in mind. It's very comfortable between 15-30 with next to nothing on. I would recommend this to anyone who 'might' camp a few nights near zero, but mostly at 10 degrees or above.

Great sleeping bag. Kept me very warm in all situations…

Great sleeping bag. Kept me very warm in all situations I've used it in so far. The reason I didn't give it 5 stars is that my wife, who is a cold sleeper, was cold when the temperatures hit the low 30's. So from what I have seen the temperature rating works for me who sleeps warm but not for my wife the cold sleeper. Great compressability and great value. All in all money well spent.

Good for 3-season conditions, but you need a good…

Fill: insulation: 100% polyester; doublure: 100% polyamide
Temperature Rating: -9 celsius
Weight: 58 oz
Price Paid: 96$

Good for 3-season conditions, but you need a good pad. I've slept on the -2 Celsius and the temperature inside the bag was perfect, but I've very cold feeling from the ground. I used normal 1-stratum pad - 10mm but actually that wasn't enough.

rated 4.00 of 5 stars All Trestles 15 versions

In addition to the 16 men's reviews above, there are 3 reviews for other versions of the Trestles 15. Read all reviews »

If you've owned or used a Marmot Men's Trestles 15, please share your experience.

Marmot Men's Trestles 15