Meindl Perfekt

I used my perfects (size 40 European) on the road,…

Materials: leather
Use: rough trail and heavy pack
Break-in Period: 1.5 week at home
Weight: 1,3 kg.
Price Paid: 325 Guilders (1994)

I used my perfects (size 40 European) on the road, in the mountains, rocky terrain, snowpaths,icy conditions. In the mountains they are at their best, especially rocky terrain, oneven paths, or no path at all, the boots love it and you will too, the boots close in your ankles firm but soft, the soles are perfect for feeling just enough what you are walking on and enough not to be hindered by nasty ridges, you simply rest on them, because the soles are so stiff, you won´t feel anything pushing through the sole. (vibram, rubber) The balance you get from them is really fantastic.

On the other hand the soles give in enough to walk on them comfortably. Nicely waxed, in snow you feel like walking on clouds, with nice warm and softcushioned feet. Try Them!! It will not let your feet get wet, even after non stop walking through high snow and sludge for many weeks! (or water even, poses no problem whatsoever)

The boots are big, so you move accordingly, but the comfort is so immense you don´t mind a bit. In the mountains you feel sturdy support. I have demanding feet with hallux valgus and quite sensitive joints because of this, I can walk for days on Meindl Perfects on rocky terrain. Store your Meindl-Perfect boots clean and dry and well-WAXED in a well-ventilated shed and you will be happy snow-walker/ and climber for many, many years!

Good waxing is the only thing you’ll have to do keeping your boots in perfect condition, before every trip check if you boots need some wax. Maybe refresh the innersole or buy a new pair of laces, that’s all. Remember these boots love climbing !

To complete my story that I already wrote about these…

To complete my story that I already wrote about these incredible shoes, I have the following recommendation to make: Do treat your Meindl Perfekts with beeswax, and nothing else.

The brand I love to use is: SNO-SEAL all season leather protection. Has no specific color, is transparant or white when solid. Sold in tube or jar. Fabricated by: ATSKO INC. ORANGBURG, S.C. MADE IN USA.

Be sure to (in this order-->) clean and dry and reapply after each trip !!

It is very easy to apply, you warm up and dry the freshly watercleaned shoes with a hairblower. Then the wax is melting on the shoes. They absorb a lot of wax, they need it to stay in shape. Apply as much as the shoes will take in, the outside big flap and solestitchings too. Then they stay in exellent shape, these shoes are just like pets. Keep them in a well ventilated shed ! (holes in the side)

Are places where you can find this great beeswax, 100% vegetable (best for the shoes; won’t crack you see).

That is what I wanted to ad to my review above.

Take care & Enjoy !!

Meindl perfekts are almost a legend in Europe. The…

Materials: Norwegian welt Russian leather
Use: Rough trail, alpine
Break-in Period: Long, thick leather (3-4 mm)
Weight: 1.26kg
Price Paid: dfl 459

Meindl perfekts are almost a legend in Europe.

The are heavy one piece leather boots made out of russian leather. This leather has an excellent waterproofing. In combination with the norwegian welt soles I never got wet feet, and that is without gore-tex lining.

The perfekt takes cramp-ons (no step-ins). After a long (in my case really long) brake-in period the boots seem to be cemented to the feet.

They are extremely comfortable thanks to the very thick cushions that surround the ancles. I have used them on both short and longer hikes, mainly in hill and mountain areas like the alps and ardennes, usually with heavy loads. Untill now no blister has shown.

The Vibram Montagna sole shows little ware and give enough grip in rough terrain.

A great shoe that I rarely see in reviews from the USA.

I picked these German made boots up from a Dutch Military…

Materials: Russian leather
Use: Rough trail/winter conditions
Break-in Period: Long!
Price Paid: DM 250

I picked these German made boots up from a Dutch Military store in Bosnia. Paid 250.00 German Marks and they would be a deal at twice the price.

Outstanding support and comfort, really long break-in period (reminds me of hockey skates). These boots will probably last for a few decades. My last ones were 16 years old and were still going strong until they were stolen!

The most suprising thing about the Perfekts is the winter comfort. January brings minus 30c here in Canada and I wear them daily, why wait for a hike to the back country?

Good heavy boots that refuse to let you down. Feet stay dry and warm and once you get use to the weight they'll go for miles. Remember the break-in period!!! (I'm talking months)

Just to updat on my Perfects, after a trip last spring…

Materials: Russian leather
Use: Hiking, rough trail, day trips
Break-in Period: Long
Weight: 3kg
Price Paid: 250DM (military duty free)

Just to updat on my Perfects, after a trip last spring around Lake Superior Canada the most confortable feeling was slipping these boots on each morning. These boots tackled the Canadian shield without missing a beat. Without the advantage of having them dry completly each night it was incredible how warm and dry my feet were.

If anyone knows what is the recommended wax treatment let me know as I have been using a beeswax compound but I can't find a dealer here that will give me the right info.

Well I have a pair of Meindl Perfekts size 15 US.

Well I have a pair of Meindl Perfekts size 15 US. They are indeed quite comfortable and roomy. I am curious as to why there is not more of a rocker action to the soles though. I also have a pair of Montrail Mazamas and these seem to require less energy to walk in due to their stiff sole and excellent rocker action.

Anyone else have similar experiences? Just curious?

I purchased the boots in Italy and wore them for a…

Materials: leather
Use: long long walks with load in mountains
Break-in Period: a couple of weeks
Weight: heavy
Price Paid: 250 Euro

I purchased the boots in Italy and wore them for a year in Afghanistan. I never rolled an ankle and my feet were in heaven. It looks as if they need new soles. Too bad you can't find them in the States!

If you've owned or used a Meindl Perfekt, please share your experience.

Meindl Perfekt

The Meindl Perfekt is not available from the stores we monitor.