Montrail Mazama

rated 4.5 of 5 stars

The Mazama has been discontinued. If you're looking for something new, check out the best backpacking boots for 2022.

Price Reviewers Paid: $149.00-$300.00

I sincerely believe these are excellent boots. By far the best made I have ever owned. However, be sure you get the right size. A few years ago I bought a pair of Montrail Mazama boots for backpacking. I justified the expense by telling myself that this was a “life time” investment in an excellent boot. I ordinarily wear a size 14 shoe. So, I ordered a size 14 boot. Big mistake!!! I sure wish I had bought a size 15 instead. (The size 14 doesn't give me enough room for the extra heavy socks I need to wear with these boots.)

I have taken them on backpacking trips three times and every time I smash my toes against the inside front of the boots and end up losing one or more toe nails because of it. Sadly, I am now to the point of giving up on these boots. Reluctantly, I'm thinking ebay.

Materials: Thick Leather
Use: Heavy backpacking in mountains.

This is a great boot, though I don't see many for sale anymore. Mine are about five years old and I love them. They've been all over Maine, Vermont, and New Hampshire and even some of Afghanistan on my last little "vacation" there. If you don't have tough feet or dislike stiff soles these boots are probably not for you.

Materials: leather
Use: rough trail, mountaineering, hiking
Break-in Period: a long time...
Weight: ? pretty heavy

Now here's a great boot. I have a size 15 and they are excellent boots. I recently started hauling gasoline at night 12 hour shifts. Wow, I was so amazed at how comfortable my feet felt. I mean well supported, sturdy the boots made working in the cold wintery outdoors pleasent. And after I got home my feet still felt fresh. I think the stiff soles and the excellant rocker action combine to reduce energy expediture while walking. I just picked what I believe was the last 11.5 on close out for my wife. What bargin for a $265 boot. Hope they're not discontinuing it. Lotta folks will miss this fine traditional leather boot.

Hanging High Hammocks Soft Shackles Review