Merrell Moab Mid Waterproof

men's
Weight 1 lb 15 oz
Sizes 7 - 12 (Half sizes) 13, 14, 15 and Wide 7 - 12 (Half sizes) 13, 14, 15
Materials Waterproof Dura Leather and Mesh Upper, Synthetic Leather Toe Cap and Heel Counter

These are lightweight, comfortable, waterproof, and…

Summary

These are lightweight, comfortable, waterproof, and breathable, which translates to cool in the heat.

• Traction
  • Comfort

I've only had these for a few months, but we had springtime temperatures for a couple of weeks (highs in the 70's and 80's) so I can attest to their comfort in those temperatures. I've worn these all day and other than normal trail dust had nothing to tend to when I got home. They have good traction on most surfaces even when the surface is a flat rock in running water.

Which brings up another feature, they're waterproof. As long as the stream is below ankle deep you don't need to stop to break out your water shoes. I've enjoyed wearing these all day on the trail. I guess the best thing I can say about their comfort is that at the end of the day, with camp set up and a nice fire going I didn't think, "man, I can't wait to get these things off." The arch support is great for all day use.

Final thoughts: I was a little resistant to this purchase (due to usually preferring leather uppers) until I tried them on in the store. They felt like slippers even after walking around the store for about half an hour. I found that same comfort on the trail and at $110 I tend to think I got a good deal. I don't know how my local store can beat online prices, but I'm glad they can.

Great value, comfortable, visually pleasing. Got a…

Source: received it as a personal gift

Summary

Great value, comfortable, visually pleasing.

Pros

• Very comfy
  • Waterproof
  • Easy to lace/tighten

Got a great deal on these at a Gander Mountain Close-Out sale. It's my second pair of hiking boots since I began hiking about a year and a half ago with my boyfriend. I wore out the first pair of boots (some lower end ones that we bought on sale to see if I even would enjoy hiking).

I've been wearing these to work to break them in before hiking in them. I have to say they really didn't need any breaking in. They've been a comfortable fit from the start. Ready to take them on the trail now.

I think the two greatest benefits so far are that they are easy to lace and tighten up (my old pair would become loose by the time you got to the top to tie them) and they are waterproof (previous pair was not).

Welcome to Trailspace, Christy. It sounds like you've been busy getting into the outdoors and acquiring the gear for it this past year. Have fun out there!

Nice day hike boot, but not as comfortable right out…

Summary

Nice day hike boot, but not as comfortable right out of the box as my other Merrells. Good support for a narrow foot.

Pros

• Waterproof
  • Good grip bottoms
  • Nice looking boot could be worn for any outdoor activity
  • Good ankle support

Cons

• Somewhat stiff when new
  • Narrow footbed

I purchased these to replace my favorite pair of Merrell Moab Ventilators that were completely worn out and coming apart. These are a good boot but not as comfortable as other Merrells have been right out of the box, so they do require a break in period. They are a narrow boot so if you need a wide toe box or have flatter feet they are not for you.

They are waterproof which I put to the test on the first time out with some high wet grassy areas. They have good ankle support and a decent arch, and a good grip surface on the bottoms. I was surprised to find they are not very breathable and made my feet hot and sweaty, a price you pay for them being waterproof I suppose.

I have only owned them for about 6 months but they are holding up well with many summer hikes.