Merrell Moab Mid Waterproof

Weight 1 lb 13 oz
Sizes 5 - 11 (Half Sizes)
Materials Waterproof Dura Leather and Mesh Upper, Synthetic Leather Toe Cap and Heel Counter

These boots feel like a cross between traditional…

Summary

These boots feel like a cross between traditional hiking boots and trail runners. The insoles are soft and the boots need no break-in period. They offer good ankle support as well.

Pros

• No break-in period
  • Super comfy
  • Soles grip well on granite

Cons

• Not terribly waterproof
  • Gave me blisters in odd places
  • Mid soles didn't last very long

When I first got these boots, I loved them. They were super comfortable and felt really good on my feet. The soles gripped well on granite and on the rugged trails up here in Maine. But as I wore them for longer hikes, I began to get blisters on my toes, the pads of my big toes, and even on the sides of my heels. The only way I could wear them comfortably was to tape all those areas with Leukotape. If I did that, I could hike in comfort.

After a multi-day trip on the AT, where it rained heavily, my boots were very wet. The waterproofing seemed to keep water in and not out. They never dried out and got really stinky. This was a definite disadvantage. After just one season of hiking I began to notice that the midsoles were getting flatter and seemed to be losing shock absorption. I was feeling more and more rocks on the trail.

Based upon the cost of the boots, I expected they would last longer. I did replace the insoles with Superfeet, as the stock insoles don't have much arch support. The ankle support was good and never gave me issues. I was delighted that they needed no break-in period, but then being plagued with blisters and hot spots, I began to dislike them more and more.

I don't know if it is just the type of foot that I have that made these not the boots for me. I see plenty of folks on the trail with these same boots and they seem to love them. They just weren't the ones for me.

Sorry to hear they didn't work out for you, Ilse. Thanks for sharing your experience with these Merrells. Were you able to get any customer service for your boots? I'd also love to see some pics to show how they wore.

Ilse Dunbar

I did not contact Merrell about any of the issues I encountered as I figured it was not a manufacturer defect, but more of a fitting issue for my feet and that particular boot. Perhaps the waterproofing problem was a defect, and in hindsight, it might have been worth a call?

Ilse Dunbar

I do not have an pictures of the boots that show how they wore. To look at them then look used but not horribly worn. The "wearing" is much more in the feel of the boot than in what you can see. The midsoles are very compressed and there is no cushioning left in them. I can feel the trail with each step and there is no shock absorption. Climbing over rocky areas is particularly uncomfortable. I have retired these boots permanently and replaced them with a pair of Salomon hiking shoes. I will review those once I have some time to test them.

Thanks, Ilse. It was probably a long shot that you'd get a new, replacement pair of boots, but sometimes it's worth a shot to ask if you feel that the wear or lack of performance is something the company should have corrected and is beyond normal wear and tear. Also, if you buy from a retailer like LL Bean or REI and feel that the product failed, you may be able to get resolution through them.

Great value, comfortable, visually pleasing. Got a…

Source: received it as a personal gift

Summary

Great value, comfortable, visually pleasing.

Pros

• Very comfy
  • Waterproof
  • Easy to lace/tighten

Got a great deal on these at a Gander Mountain Close-Out sale. It's my second pair of hiking boots since I began hiking about a year and a half ago with my boyfriend. I wore out the first pair of boots (some lower end ones that we bought on sale to see if I even would enjoy hiking).

I've been wearing these to work to break them in before hiking in them. I have to say they really didn't need any breaking in. They've been a comfortable fit from the start. Ready to take them on the trail now.

I think the two greatest benefits so far are that they are easy to lace and tighten up (my old pair would become loose by the time you got to the top to tie them) and they are waterproof (previous pair was not).

Welcome to Trailspace, Christy. It sounds like you've been busy getting into the outdoors and acquiring the gear for it this past year. Have fun out there!

Nice day hike boot, but not as comfortable right out…

Summary

Nice day hike boot, but not as comfortable right out of the box as my other Merrells. Good support for a narrow foot.

Pros

• Waterproof
  • Good grip bottoms
  • Nice looking boot could be worn for any outdoor activity
  • Good ankle support

Cons

• Somewhat stiff when new
  • Narrow footbed

I purchased these to replace my favorite pair of Merrell Moab Ventilators that were completely worn out and coming apart. These are a good boot but not as comfortable as other Merrells have been right out of the box, so they do require a break in period. They are a narrow boot so if you need a wide toe box or have flatter feet they are not for you.

They are waterproof which I put to the test on the first time out with some high wet grassy areas. They have good ankle support and a decent arch, and a good grip surface on the bottoms. I was surprised to find they are not very breathable and made my feet hot and sweaty, a price you pay for them being waterproof I suppose.

I have only owned them for about 6 months but they are holding up well with many summer hikes.

rated 4.00 of 5 stars All Moab Mid Waterproof versions

In addition to the 3 women's reviews above, there are 2 reviews for other versions of the Moab Mid Waterproof. Read all reviews »