MontBell U.L. Spiral Down Hugger #3

Max user height 5 ft 10 in / 180 cm 6 ft 4 in / 190 cm
Shoulder girth 57 - 68 in / 140 - 170 cm 61 - 74 in / 150 - 190 cm
Knee girth 46 - 55 in / 120 - 140 cm 49 - 59 in / 120 - 150 cm
Price $269.00 USD $289.00 USD

Feel and fit are absolutely first class, I mean I…

Summary

Feel and fit are absolutely first class, I mean I can cross my freakin legs in this thing.

Pros

• freakishly lightweight (long weighed in at 569 grams, that's 1 pound 4 oz)
  • the fabric feels really nice on the skin and the bias design makes it really stretch without elastic like in the older mods and UL ssdh
  • awesome hood design

Cons

• temp rating accurate?

OK, I bought these bags for my son and for I (two bags) and honestly when I got the box opened, I was freaked out by the weight! As I said freakishly light, and it stuffs in the factory bag really, really small. I mean it is smaller than a NERF football.

So, my first night I slept in it I was a little disappointed because I got a little chilled, not shivering cold, but chilled, Hubba Hubba tent on a BA insulated pad (awesome pad mind you) in thermals. The temps did dip down to 23 degrees so I can't really take that as a fail. So it was good, the next night it was a bit warmer and I was really pretty comfy.

I tested again a few weeks later in late February, early March. I was better this night and temps were close to 24, the difference, I slept in fleece jacket again, but I was in a different tent and out of the wind. I was fine until around 5-5:30 a.m. (my guess is that's when my body is done digesting the previous night's food ).

I talked to my son and he LOVES this thing. All his buddies are envious of his bag, it's so small, it's so light... does it work? Yeah it works. The material stretches and flexes just like they say it will. It's a little lite on the loft, but it seems to work OK.

I will be taking it to New Mexico this summer on a BP trek, drier, less  humidity, so we will see. I will repost then. As for now, do I recommend this bag? Yeah.

MontBell U.L. Spiral Down Hugger #3

The MontBell U.L. Spiral Down Hugger #3 is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen January 31, 2014 at Backcountry.com.