NEMO Astro Air Short

Weight 14 oz / 397g
Width 20 in / 51 cm
Length 48 in / 122 cm
Thickness 2.5 in / 6 cm

This non-self inflating sleeping pad/ mattress is…

Source: received it as a sample, freebie, or prize (I won this item through Trailspace.com and Nemo.)

Summary

This non-self inflating sleeping pad/ mattress is light, packable and about as comfortable as a sleeping pad can get for its size and weight.

Pros

• Packs down small
  • Super comfortable

Cons

• The separate hand pump

I won the Nemo Astro Air a few months ago from this site — Thanks guys..and gals — and chose the short version of the pad because I like hanging my feet off the end. I still use my MSR self inflating pad under my tent. Old habits are hard to break plus it still gives my feet something soft to rest on.

When I received this pad I was super excited to get it open and use the included inflatable hand pump, sold separately, to see if it was all Nemo had cracked it up to be. I know I'm reviewing the pad here, but boy was I disappointed in this thing. Not only is this pump ineffective (200 plus pumps to fill) but it yanks out the plastic connector to the pad whenever you try to release it. Thankfully the plastic piece can be forced back into place without destroying the whole thing.

Now that being said it only took me a few good deep breaths to fill this pad. Not only is this quicker but a hell-of-a-lot easier then trying to use the "pump". I'm fairly certain Nemo knows this but also knows people will buy into the hype. I say buy the pad and leave the pump alone.

This pad is great! I've been using it in the 100 acres of woods in my backyard. It's easy to fill, deep, super durable and soft. That's right. Soft. It feels good against my skin anyway. I have an old inflatable Big Agnes I bought when I first started hiking and this thing would rub your skin off if you didn't put a sheet over it but Nemo's Astro Air is comfortable and needs no covering.

Packing it away is as easy as filling it up. It packs down smaller than any pad I've seen of the same size and doesn't weigh any more. Definitely a good buy for someone who is into ultra light hiking but doesn't want to sacrifice any comfort.

If you don't like inflatables because you hate the extra weight and time it takes to fill, you will become a convert after trying this pad. Nemo really came through with this one. I will surely be using it on most of my trips if not all of my winter trips due to the distance it keeps my body from the frigid earth underneath my tent.

-Happy Trails-

Many miles from the hum and buzz of workaday life, the last thing you want to disturb your deep sleep is a pesky root or a fistful of gravel. Forget your typical inch thick backcountry pad, Astro is a full 2.5" thick. Lateral baffles make the pad feel wider and smoother, and 75D polyester fabric resists puncture while keeping the weight down.

Use the integrated valve for inflation, or attach the optional ultralight Disco Pad Pump for a speedy setup. Astro pads include a stuff sack, compression strap, and repair patches. Available in Air, Air Short, or Insulated models.

Visit NEMO's Astro Air Short page.

NEMO Astro Air Lite 20R Sleeping PadThe NEMO Astro Air Lite 20R Sleeping Pad has 20D polyester that keeps the fabric airtight and promotes high-weld strength. The lateral baffles make this sleeping pad feel wider and smoother. When space is something to worry about, the sleeping pad s stuff sack makes sure it doesn't bulk up your pack. This sleeping pad is designed to bring comfort to your backpacking adventures. With the NEMO Astro Air Lite 20R Sleeping Pad, you can still sleep warmly in cold temps.

- SunnySports

Nemo Astro Air Short Sleeping Pad is an ultralight backpacking sleeping pad designed short for when you just want the bare minimum in an backpacking sleeping pad. This ultralight sleeping pad design takes the popular Nemo Cosmo design and trims it down for the backcountry. Weighs just 14 ounces, yet is a full 2.5 inches thick for maximum comfort. Lateral baffles make this backpacking sleeping pad feel wider and smoother, and prevents sleeping pad sides from curving around your body like typical vertical baffles. Engineered I-beam baffles create a flat sleeping surface. 75 denier polyester fabric resists puncture while keeping weight down. Integrated valve for inflation. Or use the optional, ultralight Nemo Disco Pad Pump for fast inflation - the device fits in the palm of your hand!. Packs up smaller than a Nalgene water bottle. Includes a stuff sack, compression strap and repair patches. The Nemo Astro is also available with pillowtops, and in a regular size Nemo Astro Air and a Nemo Astro Insulated model. The Nemo Astro Air Short is the lightest of all Nemo ultralight sleeping pad models!. Weight: 13 oz / 370 g. Min Temp Zone: 35 to 45F / 2 to 7C. Width: 20 in / 51 cm. Length: 72 in / 183 cm. Thickness: 3 in / 8 cm. Pack Size: 8 x 3 in dia / 20 x 8 cm dia. Fabric: 20D Polyester. Color: Elite Yellow. Nemo Lifetime Warranty. Compare Nemo Sleeping Pads and Pillows

- Tahoe Mountain Sports

On Sale. Free Shipping. Nemo Astro Air Short Sleeping Pad FEATURES of the Nemo Astro Air Short Sleeping Pad 75D polyester fabric laminated with polymer film keeps fabric airtight and promotes high weld strength Unlike typical vertical baffles, lateral baffles prevent the sides of the sleeping pad from curving around your body Astro Insulated has a layer of PrimaLoft insulation for consistent and even insulation A small packed size allows you take a smaller pack or carry more luxuries SPECIFICATIONS of the Nemo Astro Air Short Sleeping Pad Minimum Weight: 14.0 oz / 397 g Minimum Temperature Zone: 35deg to 45deg F / 2deg to 7deg C Width: 20in. / 51 cm Length: 48in. / 122 cm Thickness: 2.5in. / 6 cm Packed Dimension: 6 x 2.5 Diameter: 15 x 6 cm 75D Polyester OVERSIZE ITEM: We cannot ship this product by any expedited shipping method (3-Day, 2-Day or Next Day). Even if you pick that option, it will still go Ground Shipping. Sorry for being so mean. ALL CLIMBING SALES ARE FINAL. This product can only be shipped within the United States. Please don't hate us. Nemo products cannot be shipped to Japan. Please don't hate us.

The Nemo Astro Air sleeping pad provides three inches of comfortable, air-filled support while only adding 1.25 pounds to your pack.

- EMS