NEMO Cosmo Insulated 30XL

Super comfortable. No pain in the morning after sleeping…

Price Paid: bought it at retail

Summary

Super comfortable. No pain in the morning after sleeping on it. Takes only 3-5 minutes to fill and less to drain it of air. Nice and big surface area with this model, and it is thick, so you don't feel the bumps in the ground underneath the pad while you sleep.

Pros

• Thick — can't feel ground anomolies under the pad
  • Pretty quick to fill up with air
  • Uses "non-breathed" air, so inside of pad does not mold or breed bacteria

Cons

• A little heavy, but not so much, and oh so comfortable

I really find this product cozy and comfortable to sleep on, and pretty quick to pump up with the internal air pump. I ordered the wide and long version, so 30 in x 80 in. Here are the specs:

• Specs: 2 lbs 2 oz / 970 g
  • Minimum Temp. Zone:30 to 40F = -1 to 4C
  • ShapeRectangular /
  • Width30 in = 76 cm
  • Length80 in = 203 cm
  • Thickness4 in = 10 cm
  • Insulation Type:Air
  • Packed Size11 x 5 in dia = 28 x 13 cm dia
  • Fabric:75D PU Polyester Ripstop
  • Color:Skyburst Orange

That made all the difference, as I am a stocky guy. I choose the XL to fit me, and also because the fold up size and extra weight was worth the extra room, and not too much extra, compared to the other sizes:

Nemo3sizes.jpg

Regular: 4 x 8 in / 10 x 20 cm
Long: 4.5 x 9 in / 11 x 23 cm
X-Long: 5 x 11 in / 13 x 28 cm

For size comparison: The Jetboil

Dimensions: 4.1” x 7.1” (10.4 cm x 18 cm)
(without fuel canister)

Nemo-to-Jet-Boil.jpg

I have yet to get it back into the stuff sack it comes with, as I have only folded it into thirds, and I think you need to somehow fold it in fourths, but I don't see how to do this if the internal air pump takes about 1/3rd of the pad width. To save a bit of weight, I ditched the bag, as the pad stuck out of it a good way, and just went with the Pad and its Velcro straps. It is more simple that way and less to lose or blow away.

Super fast to take down and pack. All you do is open the port on the underside of Pillow end, and start folding at the foot, where the pump is, pushing and folding the Pad towards the open vent at the Pillow end of the Pad, and the air rushes out in no time, and the folding is effortless. 3 minutes to pack up.  For this beginner, that is perfect, and easy to do.

I should also mention that you cannot feel anything that is under the pad once it is inflated, and sleeping on it, is very very comfortable. No aches and pains in the morning, that I have found. I chose the  insulated Pad, so I could  use a backless sleeping bag with it, though I have never tried it that way. I only used a regular synthetic  or down sleeping bag with it, and that was very warm and comfortable on top of the Nemo Cosmos XL Sleeping Pad.

The pad has a built in headrest or pillow, that is not too big, but just about the right size if you have a pillow with you or fold up some clothing to make a makeshift pillow. Lastly, every time I get this item out, I am so thankful that  I have it with me. It is so good to sleep on, and weighs very little, given the comfort value.

Here is a Youtube video about the Nemo Cosmo Air. Please note, the new ones are Bright Orange:

Thanks for sharing your Nemo pad review, Longhand. I'd love to see some pictures in your review that show how big the pad is and how well it packs down.