Klymit Static V

Stacks up against the big boys at a fraction of the…

Summary

Stacks up against the big boys at a fraction of the price! Durable, small pack size and lightweight. Back or stomach sleepers welcome, side sleepers resume at your own risk!

• Small pack size
  • Great price

Cons

• No warmth reflective inner layer
  • Not necessarily for side sleepers

What a great inflatable (not self-inflating) pad from Klymit. It stacks up against the other big companies' air pads and at about $50, it is a steal.

I was looking for an inflatable pad, durable, and a combination of lightweight and small pack size.  This is definitely it.  Packs similar to other pads (trifold and roll up). It takes about 10-12 reasonable breaths to fill it up.  I've used it on 3 trips over the summer and have enjoyed it.

This has a unique design. It feels great as I normally sleep on my back in my mummy bag, but I do occasion sleep on my side. Unlike other "straight and flat" pads, the grooves may cause issue with your body. I am 5'9, athletic and along with the padding from my bag, normally don't have any issues. I can see this causing discomfort or feeling the tent floor if you are above average weight.  Again, for me, no problem.

Since I've only brought it out in the summer with nights only in the 50s, I can't speak for the heat reflectivity. Other pads have an inner lining of mylar or similar warmth reflective surface so you don't loose any heat between your body and the ground.  I can only say, this doesn't have any such feature and I anticipate won't be as efficient as other pads.

This pad packs down to the size of a 1L Nalgene, is lightweight (18oz if I remember) and is great for the backpacker who wants comfort without the huge foam pad!

Great pad, brilliant value! I got my Klymit STATIC…

Summary

Great pad, brilliant value!

I got my Klymit STATIC V Ultralight Camping Sleeping Pad (72" x 23") in October and immediately hit the trail. I have used a variety of pads over the years but always resisted spending money on a thermarest or other high priced pad. Then I came across this one after some uncomfortable nights in the Smokies. The specs are comparable to the popular inflatables on the market these days, but the price is way better!

It's by far the most comfortable pad I've used. I'm a side sleeper and have always gotten sore using other mats. My first two nights on this one were perfect. I'm a 5'9", 180lb woman and it supported me easily. It takes 15-20 breaths to blow up. (As others have said, your breath is hot so the pad will flatten a bit after the air cools, just add another breath before you hit the hay and it stays firm all night.)

The vent is really easy to use. It's very easy to blow in to, no resistance. And it releases air very quickly when you're breaking camp. Fold it length-wise into quarters, roll it and you're ready to go. It rolls to the size of a fat Nalgene bottle, comes with a stuff sack that's easy to get it in to and has a patch kit.

This is the best pad that I have ever owned or even…

Price Paid: just under $50

Summary

This is the best pad that I have ever owned or even tried. I am 6'2" 260 lbs and the V shaped baffles make for a very stable night's rest, no rolling around or trapped pockets of air. I've slept many nights in a tent and on the floor in front of the TV with no discomfort...almost as comfortable as my bed.

I don't know about winter camping in the snow, but I think if you put a space blanket under it you could use it close to temps that a 4.0 R rated pad would take you...great pad for the money too.

Pros

• The V shaped baffles
  • Adjustable comfort by increasing or decreasing air amount
  • The price can't hardly be beat

Cons

• Not the highest temp R rating
  • Wish the valve was brass like some other pads
  • Would be nice if it was made in a longer length

OK, so if you're looking for a great sleeping pad that won't break the bank...you can't go wrong with this pad. In about 7-12 breathes you'll have this blown up, won't even make you dizzy. The V shaped baffles will give you a fantastic sleep and no rolling off.

It does seem to be constructed very well since I'm 6'2" 260 lbs and have slept on it for many many nights since buying it 6 months ago. I would have to say that for anyone who is looking for a durable and inexpensive sleeping pad your search is over, buy one and you won't be dissapointed.

Great, comfy pad that packs up small. This is a great…

Source: theclymb.com

Summary

Great, comfy pad that packs up small.

Pros

• Packs the size of a Nalgene bottle

Cons

• No insulation
  • Getting all the air out when deflating to pack can be tedious

This is a great sleeping pad for the money. It's easy to inflate with an innovative design. I've slept comfortably on it every time I've used it. I took it backpacking with my son once and let him use it while I slept on the hard ground, never again will I go with only one.

My feet don't hang over the end when inflated (I'm 6' tall). The pad is 72" inches when inflated. Also, I roll around a lot and didn't have any issues rolling off it at night. I like to pack my gear in my backpack so the small pack size is a plus.

It comes with a stuff sack and patch kit. It does not have any insulation, I haven't used it in below freezing temperatures yet, but I don't think it would be that big of a deal with the right temperature rated sleeping bag. Klymit claims it inflates in 10-15 breaths and it does.

I would definitely recommend this pad if you need one and don't want to shell out $100+.

A great, lightweight, compact backpacking pad with…

Price Paid: $59 plus tax

Summary

A great, lightweight, compact backpacking pad with all the comfort and none of the hassles.

• Inexpensive

Cons

• Klymit doesn't list an R value

A few months back, I purchased Klymit's Static V air only sleeping pad to bolster my sleeping pad line. My older Therm-a-Rest Prolite 3 and all one inch of thickness wasn't cutting it for me anymore. I wanted a thicker "air only" style pad for better packability and lighter weight design.

I purchased the Static V for its great pricepoint. I've slept on it nearly a dozen times and it sure is nice. I wasn't sure how it was going to be considering similar designs from Therm-a-Rest and Exped sell between $120 and $200. For the price ($59 msrp) and my intended use, it was perfect. 72" long x 23" wide x 2.5" thick @ 18.1 ounces.

The material seems pretty damn durable but also supple enough in case you end up face down on it without your bag. A pretty quiet pad for someone who rolls around all night. Klymit says 10-15 breaths to fill it up; with my lungs, 15-20. Comes with its own patch kit in case you get a puncture.

My biggest complaint about this pad is that Klymit doesn't list an R value or give a temperature range like Big Agnes does. Being an air only pad, I'll probably only use it by itself down to 25° or so. You could always bolster the warmth by adding a Z Lite or RidgeRest (or other closed cell foam pad) underneath.

Fairly light, rolls up small, big on comfort. This…

Summary

Fairly light, rolls up small, big on comfort.

• Compact storage
  • Ease of inflation

Cons

• Valve at head end of matress

This is a great backpacking air mattress for those desiring a little comfort for not a lot of weight or space when roughing it in the woods or on the trail.

The total package rolls up when not in use to the size of the average  soda can. Inflation is a breeze with 10 breaths or less until inflated...leaps ahead of other mattresses and inflators. Comfort is great and one can even sleep comfortably on your side!

The value is there too as most can be found for $50 or less delivered.

Welcome to Trailspace, chsh. Thanks for the review. I'm wondering, is this an insulated pad?

chsh

Thanks for the welcome! Nope, it is not the insulated version.

I have used a Therm-a-Rest pad for years, but wanted…

Summary

I have used a Therm-a-Rest pad for years, but wanted a lighter and thicker pad. I looked at the NeoAir by Therm-a-Rest, but it is just too expensive. The Klymit was just what I was looking for and at 1/2 the cost of the NeoAir. It is very comfortable, light, and compact. I highly recommend it.

• Affordable

Cons

• NONE

Great when compared to any type of sleeping pad, incredible…

Summary

Great when compared to any type of sleeping pad, incredible when you add in how small it packs up.

Pros

• Packs small
  • Easy to inflate

I like my tent. I don't really like my sleeping bag, but I absolutely love the Klymit Static V sleeping pad. It is far more comfortable than the big fold up pads, yet it packs up to about 1/10th the size, and costs roughly the same. I would definitely recommend this to anyone as part of their sleeping system.

Love it. My family and I have used this pad for camping…

Summary

Love it.

Pros

• Small
  • Inexpensive
  • Tough

My family and I have used this pad for camping and also cabin bunks and love it. The pad can be made very stiff, yet I did not find that comfortable. The best way for me is to have just enough air in it that my hip almost touches the ground.  This allowed me to move around (I do wiggle) as I sleep on my side.  The pad is shaped in a way that reduces rolling off, I stayed on without having to be constantly aware of how I laid, unlike other pads I have used.

I did test it in the low 20's on my concrete patio. I could feel the cold coming through, so to use in really cold weather would require a reflector of some kind to block the cold transfer. Quite frankly for me, if it gets below 30, I'm sleeping in a heated area.  I'm a little over 6' and 200 lbs.

Wow! Talk about comfort! OK, so I've run the gamut…

Summary

Wow! Talk about comfort!

Pros

• Very comfortable
  • Side sleeper friendly
  • Enough cushion for shelter floor or tent sleeping
  • Fast deflation — easy packing
  • Small and extremely lightweight

Cons

• Minor - Takes about 18-20 deep breaths to inflate
  • (not 10-15 as advertised)

OK, so I've run the gamut from closed cell to self-inflating...tried all the major brands. I've always been skeptical of the blow up pads because of the inherent thicker fabrics, extra bulk and heavier packable weight. I read several reviews and tried the Static V pad at a local retailer, and I was pleasantly surprised!

With the size of the closed cell foam pads, and the thin fabrics and faulty valves of even the higher priced self-inflating brands, I was never able to find a pad that met all my needs. I usually opted for the "shorty" or "scout" versions just to save a bit of pack space and weight.

Store branded items from recreational equipment and camping "outfitters" are a joke....just a cheaper version of the name branded models, with what seem to be mythological "features" described by marketing execs instead of real world backpackers. If you've ever had a self-inflating pad spring a leak or mysteriously deflate in the middle of the night, you know what I mean.

So I bought the Static V and gave it a try. At 72"x23"x2.5", it's the largest, thickest pad I've used, but it packs down to a mere 2.75"x 8" and weighs only 18.15 ounces in its stuff sack. My lightest self-inflating "3/4" pad is a 48"x20"x1.5" tapered pad with two valves and tips in at 23.2 ounces. Other 48" pads (all thinner, some narrower, one wider) have all been around 26-30 ounces - still not "heavy", but on longer expeditions, ounces add up quickly in a pack.

The Static V is by far the lightest, loftiest, most compact and comfortable sleeping pad I own. I've used it on hard, wooden AT shelter floors and in tents set over rocks and roots. In those two weekend trips, I'm sold.

This thing ROCKS! (even on rocks)

Multi-day friendly pad sleeps you comfortably and…

Summary

Multi-day friendly pad sleeps you comfortably and even stops you from slipping on un-even surfaces!

Pros

• Compact
  • Easy to clean
  • Stuff sack included
  • Repair kit included

Cons

• Air only

Actually blows up in about ten breaths as advertised, is extremely easy to care for and is pretty tuff! I was surprised at how light yet comfortable this device was. I have used other sleep mats and pads in the past but all were too bulky or uncomfortable (or way to overpriced!).

I used this product up in the mountains in and around 12k feet and it works great. If something ever happens to this it even includes a patch kit!

Good stuff. A great design. In theory, the V-shape…

Summary

Good stuff.

Pros

• Comfort
  • Packing size
  • Weight
  • Price
  • Comes with patch kit

Cons

• Makes a little noise when I move, but not bad

20140526_194525.jpg
A great design. In theory, the V-shape tubes limit air movement, keeping the warm air that's under your body, under your body. It also limits where the air can go when you roll around, helping to keep your body from touching the ground at your heavier points.

The baffles on the side fill up more when you lay in the center, creating a sort of mini side wall that helps to keep you on the mat as you sleep (no one likes waking up on a cold tent floor). It fills up with around 14 solid breaths, and packs down to about the size of a water bottle with little effort. I believe it weighs in at 1 oz. without the patch kit.

If you want to use it in colder temps, I would use a foam mat under it.

I paid $60 and I couldn't be happier. Great for lightweight backpacking. The girlfriend has been very jealous and will be getting one soon.

Edit 3/14:

Got one for the girlfriend. I'd easily recommend it to a friend.

The most comfortable, light, and versitie air pad…

Summary

The most comfortable, light, and versitie air pad I have slept on.

• Comfort
  • Packs nicely

Cons

• Not self inflating

I just bought this pad for all the backpacking I am going to be doing this summer. I wanted something lightweight and packs small. The Klymit Static V gives both. At 18 oz, it is plenty light for the money, and packing to the size of a Nalgene water bottle it doesn't take much space.

I have only spent two nights on this pad so far but I can't wait to take it out when the weather warms up. The only feature it doesn't have is it is not self inflating. I personally don't care, I can blow up a pad, but if you want to just open the valve and let it go, look into a different pad.

My last pad was a Therm-a-rest Ultralite; the Static…

Summary

My last pad was a Therm-a-rest Ultralite; the Static V was better because of the width, thickness, and ease of use when inflating and deflating. Also the V chambered air tubes functioned quite well in allowing support distribution of the major pressure points. When I first tried it out after dialing in the the right amount of air pressure I fell asleep for two hours instantly while watching TV, loved it.

Pros

• 23 inch width, 2.5 inch thickness
  • ease of inflating and deflating
  • compact size

Cons

• At the moment none to mention.

After 35 years of using Therm-A-Rest pads: the Original and the Ultralite, I found this pad a worthy replacement to my past sleeping gear.  The Therm-A-Rest worked for what they were, but after a while they were not adequate in the width, or in comfort.

With the Therm-A- Rest I always wished that the width would be 2 inches wider; at 23 inches the Static V is perfect.  The thickness of the Static V allow for better dispersion of body pressure points and better support to the overall comfort while displacing air volume to where it is needed; something the Therm-A-Rest never did and was always lacking.

It inflated easily and deflated just as well, and it folds up to a nice size at that. I haven't used it backpacking yet but while testing it while watching TV I fell asleep and did not wake up until two hours later; when I woke up I felt great, with no soreness or uncomfortable after affect what so ever.  With the Therm-A-Rest I would feel soreness in the shoulder, and back; so I say to the Static V, love it all night long.

I just ordered this sleeping pad because the science…

Summary

I just ordered this sleeping pad because the science behind it makes sense. The baffles are what sold me on the product. My wife and I will each test one.

Pros

• Super light.
  • Packs small.

Cons

• You have to blow it up with your lungs.

Just ordered this and am waiting to write a full blown review. This has got to be the lightest and toughest inflatable air mattress in its class. I watched a Youtube video of the CEO of Klymit jumping on the air mattress that was placed on a bed of rocks.

I am replacing my REI Camp Bed 3.5 because it's too bulky and heavy. This air mattress is less half the price and weighs about 70% less!

thetentman RETAILER