Oboz Yellowstone

This is a sturdy hiking boot with a firm sole and…

Summary

This is a sturdy hiking boot with a firm sole and good ankle support.

Pros

• Waterproof
  • Sturdy
  • Grippy

Cons

• Blisters
  • Hot
  • Not so comfy for long hikes

I wanted to love these boots. I really did. I am not sure if a larger size would alleviate my issues or not.

I got these boots to replace a pair of Merrell Moab Mids that seemed to give me blisters in odd places. Initially, the Oboz were comfortable and I had no issues. On longer hikes I found they blistered the backs of my heels and the sides of my big toes. They offer excellent arch support and fit true to size. If you wear a thicker sock, you may want to go up a 1/2 size.

They did require more of a break-in period than my last boots, but once they were broken in, they were comfortable for shorter hikes.

The soles are very sturdy so if you like a firm sole, these will be great. For me, my feel seemed to get tired after 10 miles with those harder soles. Combined with the blisters, it just made for unhappy feet. I am back to trail runners for comfort.

I will say that they are nicely waterproof. I have slipped on many a water crossing and gotten my boots wet and not had wet feet at all. They grip well on granite and rocks, although they are slippery on wet rocks. In their defense, I have yet to find anything that grips well on wet rocks. They are durable and hold up well in wet and muddy conditions.  I found that they worked well in winter with both Hillsound Trail Crampons and Hillsound Pros.
OBOZ-2.jpg

OBOZ.jpg

I liked them well enough that I would be willing to try another model from Oboz. I like the company's sustainable practices and definitely think that trying a pair would be worth the time.

Thanks for the review, Ilse. How long have you had your Yellowstones? Got any pictures of yours you could share in your review?

Nice! Thanks.

rated 3.00 of 5 stars All Yellowstone versions

In addition to the 1 women's review above, there are 3 reviews for other versions of the Yellowstone. Read all reviews »