Optimus Crux

EUR 49,95

Great lightweight stove. This thing is tiny and lightweight,…

Great lightweight stove.

This thing is tiny and lightweight, when in its little neoprene case it can be carried anywhere (even in the hollow in the bottom of the gas canister).

I use this with the optimus terra cookset most of the time, great combo.

The only problem I have is that when trying to use really low heat it often goes out when bumped.

Like most stoves that screw in to a gas bottle it can sometime be a little unsteady, but that is usually down to user heavy hands while stirring!

Good stove. It is a little loose when 'snapped' into…

Price Paid: $49.99 (CND)

Good stove.

It is a little loose when 'snapped' into position. This is the only downfall once you have placed a pot on it. Bear in mind you buy this stove for its packability and light weight...so, deal with the smaller pot arms and loose burner.

I have read reviews that it shakes when a pot is at full boil however, I have NEVER encountered this problem. I wish Optimus would get a hold of me because I could fix this whole 'loose' issue without compromising weight or overall design.

The best part of this stove is that it simmers extremely well. The 12,000 BTU's are a lot! I have never had to turn this stove on full to cook anything, regardless of wind or temperature.

It is difficult, maybe impossible at this time, to find a lighter or more packable stove! It is well worth the few dollars Optimus charges for this unit...BUY IT!

Enjoy this stove as much as I have.

Nice and small but the black stove is a older version…

Nice and small but the black stove is a older version and has a little shake to it. On top of being small it shakes!

The new orange stove - still folds and is much more stable.

Burns hot and folds small at the great price. Bought…

Price Paid: $97 AUD bought with the Terra Weekender Cookset

Summary

Burns hot and folds small at the great price.

Pros

• Tiny storage size
  • Boils fast

Cons

• Folding head is slightly unstable

Bought this stove for an upcoming trip to the Overland Track in Tasmania.

Straight out of the box I was amazed at how small this stove folds up, fitting easily into the dome underneath the gas canister both of which fit easily inside the Terra weekender saucepan and frying pan set. Coupled with the weekender kit you have a complete set for one that takes up just a little more space than a Nalgene bottle.

Once I saw the size of the burner I thought the stove would perform quite poorly, boy was I in for a surprise, this stove burns hot, boiling a liter of water faster than my electric kettle at home. Setup was also a breeze taking less than a minute to get it all ready. However the gas control can be a bit sensitive making a simmer a little fiddly, but still easily achievable.

I've only used this stove a couple of times so I can't yet comment on the amount of gas it uses but I've made several meals and the gas canister still doesn't feel any lighter.

The price for this stove is reasonable with the burner and cookset coming in at under $100.

As with a lot of stoves this size the small legs can make larger pots a little unstable so you have to be a little careful about how everything's positioned especially given that the folding head can wobble a little bit. The lack of automatic ignition might also irritate some people who don't like to carry a separate lighter.

To summarize I'm very happy with this stove it packs small and burns hot, exactly what I need.

Great little stove! I've read some people had a hard…

Summary

Great little stove! I've read some people had a hard time with the flame adjustment to simmer, not me. Lights easy, folds down tiny, and flame adjustment from barely there to jet engine.

• Carry case
  • Sturdy construction

Cons

• Arms are a bit small
  • Wind can be an issue when "simmering"

This little pocket stove works great. Fires right up, although no electronic ignition, just bring a lighter. Simmers very well if you're not in the wind.

While it is sturdy enough for a small camp skillet, I would avoid heavy iron skillets or pots, those are best used on larger stove.

The folding arms make for a small packing size, and the carrying case fits in the recess of the fuel canister. Just remember to not grab it and try to fold it right after you turn it off.

Good tiny stove for boiling water. Got this stove…

Summary

Good tiny stove for boiling water.

Pros

• Very small
  • Hot
  • Many storage options

Cons

• Head somewhat loose
  • Arms heat up quickly
  • Flimsy burner control

Got this stove back in 2008 and have used it a bit since. The stove definitely follows a KISS mentality — lock the head in place, flip out the arms, screw it on a iso can, flip out the control wire and turn, light.

I find the control works OK, however you need to be careful not to turn too far one way or another. Not what I would call a simmering stove, but I haven't tried it for that purpose, only for boiling water.

This stove can put out quite a bit of heat, so much so that I find the arms  can get red hot and seem to bend a bit under the weight of heavier pots (I have an MSR Titan Kettle which doesn't do this).

I'd say this stove's main advantage is the size it can fold down to, combined with its neoprene case and a shorter iso can (such as a MSR 115), this stove fits perfectly inside the Titan kettle and the neoprene keeps it from rattling.

For boiling water, and a very packable package I like this stove a lot, but if you were doing anything more complex or anything more than one or two people's worth of boiled water I believe there are better options out there.

The five main things I like about this stove is: 1.

The five main things I like about this stove is: 1. 12,000 BTU's, 2. The way it folds down & fits into the bottom of your fuel canister, 3. Very lightweight, 4. Constructed of high quality components for durability and longevity, 5. Fuel efficient. Uses 5g of fuel to bring 8oz of water to boil. If you're a stove nut like me, this is a must have for your collection.