Osprey Talon 22

For those moving fast and packing smaller loads, lightweight packs in the Talon series adjust for a wide range of comfort and suit any style with the option of several sharp colors and graphics. Designed for mountain biking, trail running, fastpacking, peak bagging, and adventure racing. Features the AirScape back panel with ridge-molded foam that creates air channels, and adjustable harness, and mesh hip belt pockets.

s/m m/l
Weight 1 lb 12 oz / .79 kg 1 lb 13 oz / .81 kg
Capacity 1200 cu in / 20 L 1300 cu in / 22 L

The Talon 22 was exactly was I was looking for in…

The Talon 22 was exactly was I was looking for in a pack. I needed a lightweight pack for 3 purposes:

1. Day hikes - I have a laptop pack already that doesn't work well for hiking. I needed a pack that has a hydration sleeve, outer pockets and straps (but not a lot so they aren't dangling and get caught in everything).

2. Ultralight overnighters - The talon 22 proved to be the perfect amount of space for minimalist overnighters. I carried a 20lb load (food/water/gear) comfortably, that included the following gear:

Sleeping Bag - Montbell UL SS #5 - 1lb 2oz
Sleeping Pad - Therm-a-Rest Zlite - 14oz
Shelter - GoLite Shangri-La 1 Fly+Nest - 2lb 4oz
Stove -  Jetboil PCS
Water filter - Katadyn Hiker Pro
Other Misc - Food, 2L water, clothing, pack cover, camera, etc

267875_2076983533951_1525885562_32246517

When packed correctly, the back doesn't bulge out even when stuffed to maximum capacity. The hip belt works great (unlike most daypacks I've tried) at taking the weight of the pack off the shoulder straps. The pack fit like a glove, allowing me to climb over fallen trees and over rocky terrain without shifting around.

3. Airline travel - I never check luggage in, and I don't like wheeling my bag around. This is the right size for a carry on that fits all my belongings, and still stuffs under my seat or in the overhead compartment.

A great daypack for beginning hikers or just everyday…

Price Paid: $99 USD

Summary

A great daypack for beginning hikers or just everyday use. Biking, hiking, skiing, fishing, school books, etc. This pack is versatile and durable.

Pros

• Lightweight yet durable
  • Spaces are plentiful
  • AirScape mesh back allows the back to breathe
  • Bright color options — great for cycling or hiking in areas near hunters

Cons

• Zipper handle on main compartment is sometimes lost in crevices
  • Hipbelt pocket is too small
  • Top mesh pocket sometimes snags on sharp objects inside pocket

Fit: Great fit. Even for a slightly bigger person (6'3" with a 34" waist) like myself. Straps are very adequate. I bought the M/L size, which is a full 22 liters, whereas the S/M is only 20.

Comfort: When going on a day hike, my wife and I will fight over who gets to carry the pack. Yeah, it's that comfortable.

Capacity: For a 22 pack, this thing is incredibly spacious. I've seen packs closer to 30 that would be hard pressed to store as much stuff as this one. One highlight is the front stretch pocket. It can hold my bike helmet, although as the photo shows, it doesn't fully consume it. The helmet, in this case, has never fallen out of the stretch pocket. The main compartment, is plenty of room for the helmet, but typically, I just strap the helmet to the outside of the pack.

Organization & Accessibility: Everything feels very secure. In the past I've been worried about water bottles slipping from side pockets, but never had such problem with this pack.

Ride: Hugs the back, but allows the back to breathe. Mesh-lined should straps are not only comfortable, but also seem to help distribute weight evenly.

Compression: Works best when it's near full, so I also carry an extra layer in it.

Ease of Use: Before this pack, I never owned one with this style of straps. However, they are intuitive and perform well. Everything performs extraordinarily well except for the hipbelt pocket (too small for my camera, although it can fit an iPhone), the top mesh pocket (very occasionally snags on something sharp in the pocket like the pointed end of a pen cap. See photo.) and it's sometimes hard to locate the main compartment zipper when the pack is fully loaded.

Also, I'm not sure why they constructed this pack with a stretch pocket on each of the shoulder straps. These small pockets barely squeeze an iPhone, so if you have a larger phone, no way it's going in these pockets. I never use these pockets, and I would imagine that one would have been enough.

Here's a look inside the top mesh pocket of the Osprey Talon 22. Occasionally, small sharp objects like the pointy end of a pen cap will get caught in this mesh.

Construction and Durability: Has held up great other than being dirty and never truly coming clean (I bought the yellow color for visibility sake when cycling with it or when hiking in areas that are open to hunting, such as state parks).

Conditions: Had this pack for four years now. It's served as everything from an airport carry-on to a fly fishing daypack and from a hiking daypack to a daily cycling commuter pack. It's been all over with me — it has been beat up by the rugged New Zealand mountains, battered by the sun and sand in Samoa, soaked in the Cascades, hauled in the Appalachians, wind blown in the Adirondacks and much more.

SamoaOsprey.jpg

Walking the trail back from a gorgeous waterfall/swimming hole on the Savai'i Island of Samoa. The humidity was tough and the sand found it's way into everything, but the Osprey Talon 22 did its job well.

Missed this review back in April, KK. Thanks for the info!

I needed a day pack for a day hike up Arizona's highest…

Design: top loading technical day pack.
Size: med/larg
Number of Pockets: 2 side pockets, 3 main compartments
Max. Load Carried: 15
Height of Owner: 6'0"

I needed a day pack for a day hike up Arizona's highest peak, Humphrey's Peak just north of Flagstaff. The Talon 22 was my choice. It easily handled two 70 oz. hydration bladders and the rest of my gear like a champ. The pack was very comfortable and I would recommend it to anyone who needs a lightweight technical day pack for hiking or even trail running.

Love the pack, great for all sorts of tasks! Bought…

Summary

Love the pack, great for all sorts of tasks!

• Well-made construction
  • Many features for the prices verses other brands!

Cons

• Rain cover not included
  • "Osprey" patch wearing off after a few years of use.

Bought the pack back in 2012 and it has been my go-to pack for all sorts of activities; school, hiking, biking, rollerblading, air travel as a carry-on or another other odd activity that didn't require a larger pack. The pack has been all over the place and I don't leave home real often without it.

As far as the fit goes, I'm 5'11", 170 lb, 32" waist male for starters and I purchased the m/l size. The adjustable harness makes for a custom fit and the hip belt fits comfortably around my waist. I love the mesh-perforated shoulder straps, lets air through to keep me cool.

The only complaint I have besides not coming with a rain cover is that I wish the back panel was Osprey's Airspeed panel. I have the Osprey Stratos 36 with the Airspeed back panel and love hiking with that, but can't justify carrying a 36L pack on a day hike. The Airscape is OK, but hiking/biking in humid Minnesota during the summer leaves for a rather sweaty back.

With that said, the Airscape is still functional and is certainly better then nothing. It does provide much needed ventilation. Again, that is my only real complaint, but something to consider.

I've purchased a 2L bladder and haven't had any problem getting flow from it with the pack being loaded. The side stretch pockets are a little small for a full size Nalgene bottle, so I usually keep those in the stretchy front pocket.

The side pockets work great for holding bug spray, sunscreen, larger smartphones, smaller Gatorade bottles to name a few things. Hip belt pockets work great for holding keys, granola bars, smaller cameras. Each strap comes with a clip which holds the extra length of strap to itself so straps aren't flapping around, love that feature! Helps give the pack a clean feather.

The pack has been to Denali, Rocky Mountain NP, most recently the summit of Mt. Elbert (highest peak in CO), several day hikes in Minnesota and New Mexico and the pack has never let me down. It has done everything I've asked of it and it made me a believer of Osprey's products!

Waiting for my current one to wear out so I can have an excuse to pick up the newest version, but don't think that is going to happen anytime soon.

Thanks for sharing this review, pilotguy.

Nice review, pilotguy. Thanks for sharing it. I'd love to see a picture of your Osprey in your review, if you're willing to add it.

I have used this pack over the past four years for…

Summary

I have used this pack over the past four years for everything, including two-day light backpacking trips, fly fishing, and carrying my laptop and books to campus. The strap design makes heavy loads seem much lighter, and the hip pockets are perfect for carrying keys and small items without having to remove the pack to reach them.

Pros

• Reflective lines for nighttime safety
  • Strap design
  • Air flow design for your back

Cons

• The thin inner pockets wear down easily if subjected to low heat
  • There is no hard lining in the bottom to keep pack rigid

If you are looking for a daily backpack for school or day hikes then this bag is a great investment. However the small design is not fit for carrying much external weight, such as a sleeping bag or shoes tied to the outer surface.

Just recently took this pack out for the first time…

Summary

Just recently took this pack out for the first time — and love it! A mid-March dayhike in the Rockies requires a little bit of everything, and the Talon handled all my layers (taller guy = larger stuff) and everything else comfortably.

Pros

• Size
  • Various pockets
  • Hydration

Cons

• N/A

This pack nails everything in a really positive way. As mentioned above I'm taller (6'5"), and the adjustability made for a good fit.

The top compartment is convenient, and can handle an SLR.

The hydration pocket holds a 3-liter reservoir well.

Both the shoulder and hip straps have pockets on both sides allowing for easy access for smaller things easy.

On this first hike, was out for three hours; and I was bummed out to have to take it off!

Also, it's style is pretty kick-ass. Which is a nice bonus.

Used just a couple of times, but has been great both…

Summary

Used just a couple of times, but has been great both times! Plenty of room for a long day hike.

Pros

• Light
  • Lots of room

Cons

• None yet

This pack has been great the couple time I've had it out. Took it on a 13+ mile hike around a local lake with the dog. This pack seems to never end while packing it! It swallowed a jacket, rain shell, lunch, snacks, a few water bottles the dogs stuff and still had more room! Light, comfy and good looking.

Two things stand out about the Osprey Talon 22: ventilation…

Summary

Two things stand out about the Osprey Talon 22: ventilation and bonus features.

Pros

• Well ventilated
  • Stretchy front pocket
  • Separate compartment for hydration bladder
  • Several features such as a helmet clip and tow loop

Cons

• Hard to lash bigger items to the outside
  • Water bottle pockets are small

This pack is for people who want clever features and are willing to pay about $100 and carry a little more weight. I use my pack 3-4 times a month during the summer in the Colorado Rockies and twice a month during the winter and I believe it is the most comfortable and versatile pack I have ever owned.

Reasonable price and lots of adjust-ability for a…

Summary

Reasonable price and lots of adjust-ability for a small pack.

Pros

• Hydration pack
  • Flexible

Cons

• Small

This is a really nice pack, but large folks should try it on before purchasing. It has plenty of adjustments to fit many sizes, but if you are over 6 feet, you will want to make sure it fits you properly. Variances in torso length will determine if this pack is right for you.

That said, I still use this pack for urban adventure where I'm not really putting long miles in. The hydration bladder fits well into the pack and there is plenty of room for your basic gear set.

There are a variety of pockets, external an internal, for storage use and convenience. Because of its small size, load distribution isn't really a concerning factor. Once items are in the pack, the side straps can be adjusted to cinch everything down nice and snug.

Fit and finish for all Osprey products is top notch and potential buyers should always feel confident in their purchase.

02/10/11 I recently bought the Talon22 as a day pack.

02/10/11 I recently bought the Talon22 as a day pack.  I like to do fast day hikes. The pack is extremely comfortable.  I carry a pretty heavy water load and a couple of extra layers.

The pack has lots of adjustments and is ruggedly constructed.  Great little pack.