OvaEasy Whole Egg Crystals

Often, dehydrated eggs are nasty. I found that OvaEasy…

Summary

Often, dehydrated eggs are nasty. I found that OvaEasy eggs are quite tasty, easy to use, and stable. I have found them to have great bang for the buck in price, ease of use, and flavor.

Pros

• Good texture!
  • Good taste
  • Easy to use
  • Nutritious

Cons

• Eggs mixture can leave quite a bit of water
  • Must cook the eggs
  • No "just add water"
  • Pots need a little more clean-up

I have tried other eggs before, and while other products are pretty good, I think this one is the best. I found it tastes and behaves most like real eggs of all the kinds I have tried.

Since the eggs are crystals versus powder, the product cooks up more like real scrambled eggs. The caveat is that these eggs are not just add water. Since they have to be cooked, some users may not like the prep and cleanup.  In that, be careful to not overcook these eggs, because just like real eggs, scorching them leaves more clean up in the pan. — And nothing tastes good scorched :(  Outside of that warning, I am a real fan of this product.

As a middle aged lady, I do not require the calories of a younger, stronger person, so I tend to go to a crystal equivalent of 3-4 eggs, depending on the trip and calorie requirements. My daughter, an advanced athlete, may require up to 4-6, depending on her work load.

The eggs when coupled with a burrito wrap,  pre-cooked bacon, cheese stick, and salsa make a fantastic meal.  I usually save this for a dinner versus a breakfast, since the eggs require cooking.  This meal is ALWAYS a favorite with my hiking crew! When I get "what's for dinner," and my answer is heuvos rancheros, everybody smiles.

My crew all agree that the eggs stick to our ribs. With the good flavor and consistency, coupled with with tasty complements, this makes a very satisfying meal with nice mouth feel and satisfying flavor.

I bought the eggs in the #10 can to up the amount I want by need of the trip and participants.  I really like having it in bulk because I can customize the amount per individual and calorie demand.

I have used this product on a 100 mile rails to trails bike trip in Canada, many trips backpacking, and a Missouri River canoe trip. The eggs are core to my adventures' meals menu. They are light, nutritious, tasty, and easy. The military has even switched from powdered eggs to using OvaEasy eggs.

The eggs are sold in a variety of sizes, ranging from bag of one dozen (retail of about $7) to a can of 8.8 dozen (for about $46).

I am including a couple of links which outline the science and specs of the eggs for further information.

I am including a nutrition chart: Nutrition Facts

Serving size: 2 tsp. (9.5 grams) (equals 1 medium egg)

Calories 60

Riboflavin 0%

Niacin 0%

Calcium 2%

Iron 4%

I will continue to use and buy this product as long as I keep getting "out there!"

I may try these! Thanks, SG.

Joseph Renow

Nice review...I agree about these being the best option for eggs in the dehydrated/freeze-dried department! For a no-clean option you can cook the eggs in a freezer-bag in boiling water...but it will cost you a little extra fuel:-)

Good idea, Joseph!

Surprisingly simple and quite tasty. This was the…

Price Paid: I really don't remember

Summary

Surprisingly simple and quite tasty.

Pros

• Ease of preparation

Cons

• Cleanup...but what did you expect? They're scrambled eggs.

This was the first time I cooked these up while backpacking. I tried them at home first and I must say that my trail results were no different.

These cook up quite well and have a good egg flavor. There's nothing difficult about it...add water and then cook. I have Southern roots and so I pair this with some grits and find that I am well satiated for the morning.

I've been using these eggs for two years cooking for…

Price Paid: ~$20 for 6 dozen

I've been using these eggs for two years cooking for groups on backcountry trips. As scrambled eggs, the texture and taste is indistinguishable from fresh eggs. I've also used them to make frittatas, omelets and french toast.

The only ingredient is egg and they are available in several different sizes. I buy them in the 6 dozen size and divide them for specific meals. They are available from Nutriom and much cheaper there than through resellers.

Visit OvaEasy's Whole Egg Crystals page.

OvaEasy is an all-natural, dried whole egg crystal that replaces fresh eggs, dried egg powders, liquid eggs and frozen eggs. OvaEasy has all the benefits of a dried egg powder but with a natural fresh taste. It is made with a revolutionary process that gently extracts water while preserving the delicious flavor and nutritional benefits of fresh eggs. OvaEasy is very easy to prepare: simply add water, whisk and cook. Once OvaEasy is reconstituted with water, it behaves exactly like any liquid whole egg.

- CampSaver.com

OvaEasy Whole Egg Crystals

The OvaEasy Whole Egg Crystals is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen November 9, 2013 at CampSaver.com.

If you're looking for a new breakfast, check out the best reviewed current models.