Patagonia Fitz Roy Down Hoody

Weight 22.8 oz / 646 g
Shell Fabric 1.3 oz Microdenier 100% Recycled Polyester Ripstop, Deluge® DWR Finish
Lining Fabric 1.4 oz 22-Denier 100% Recycled Polyester, Deluge® DWR Finish
Insulation 800 Fill-Power Premium European Goose Down

Warm, compressible down jacket that's great as a mid-layer…

Price Paid: $125 for a discontinued color

Summary

Warm, compressible down jacket that's great as a mid-layer or in camp. Ripstop polyester shell is tough as nails!

Pros

• Warm
  • Ultralight
  • Compressible
  • Stuffs into its own pocket
  • TOUGH!!!

Cons

• Water resistance was lacking
  • High pricetag

The Patagonia men's down hoody is a highly breathable, compressible jacket with two zippered handwarmer pockets and one internal mesh pocket the jacket stuffs into. It's great as a mid-layer under a shell when the temps drop below 25°F, or even better as a jacket for those chilly nights and mornings in the backcountry.

The rip-stop polyester fabric is pretty much bomb proof. Not always the most careful hiker, I brushed up against a very sharp rock that should have shredded it.  What appeared to be a small cut in the material didn't go through to the down fill, saving me from a repair job and an ugly patch. Several other brushes with rocks and trees left no marks whatsoever.

There are only two negatives.  First, an MSRP of $250 seems pretty steep although you can find them on sale for a lot less if you don't mind a previous season's colors.

The other issue comes in the form of water resistance.  Patagonia says the fabric is treated with a DWR finish, but I got caught in a mild snowstorm without my shell and the jacket soaked all the way through within half an hour.  I've been pretty happy with Patagonia's DWR on other products I own so I'm not sure what the issue was. Nikwax Down Wash solved the problem and gave the jacket the water repellency I expected in the first place.

Overall, I'm extremely satisfied with this jacket and if I'm ever in the market for a replacement, it would be pretty tough to sell me on something other than Patagonia.

Great loft and warmth in even the remotest of environs.

Summary

Great loft and warmth in even the remotest of environs.

Pros

• Comfy feel
  • Roomy for Layering
  • Zips don't seem to snag

I got this for the coldest reaches of an upcoming Everest Trek. It is exactly what I wanted and I have purchased four jackets/coats in my quest.

I am a woman who is not petite, so I had to go with the men's. I was so afraid the sleeves would be endlessly long like my Mountain Hardwear down sweater. But the sleeves are just right and the elastic is not to loose. The hood's cincher is the BOMB and the fit will accommodate layers under it without getting too tight.

It feels great and I am sooo happy with it!

It performs well in the very cold reaches of Everest Base Camp.

image.jpg

iPad-332.jpg

This jacket is truly a study in craftsmanship by the…

Fabric: DWR polyester
Fill: 800 goosedown

This jacket is truly a study in craftsmanship by the designers at Patagonia. First of of all, it is INCREDIBLY LIGHT-WEIGHT. Every time I go to pick it up, this fact strikes me. I also own the Men's Phantom jacket by Mountain Hardware in large, which is also VERY light-weight and 800-fill down, however, this jacket (although the same size i.e. large), is much longer and has a down hood as well, and somehow the Fitz Roy Hoody amazes me more.

It's GREAT as a raincoat, as water and snow just beads and slides right of it, it's incredibly warm outside, and comfortable to wear indoors, which is something I LOVE about 800-fill jackets! The chin piece zips up above your nose depending upon how you wear it (which is neat, especially since it is extremely soft, and fleece lined), so with its down hood drawn tight around your head, and the your chin and nose buried inside the warm zipped up down collar, you can LITERALLY make a TOASTY SKI-MASK out of the jacket, just your eyes peering out (great for aspiring bank robbers! lol).

I suppose if you spent the $350 to buy this jacket, you wouldn't need to rob a bank... wait... or maybe you... would. Regardless, the $350 buys you the best all around hooded "puffy" I have ever owned. The pockets are lined with amazingly soft fleece (as well as the chin) and keep your hands warm. They zip too, if you are wearing gloves.

There's plenty of storage space too, however, I ordered mine online, and all the product summaries I read about the jacket say that it comes with its own stuff-sack (and it SHOULD, it's SO LIGHT-WEIGHT and compressible), however mine came with no such sack (unless the mesh inside pocket is supposed to double as a the jacket's stuff-sack, although none of the summaries make it SOUND that way. I'm calling the company I ordered it through tomorrow to see what the deal is, however stuff-sack OR NOT, this is one STELLAR jacket.

It's long, only if you want it to be, or you can simply cinch it up and wear it right around the waist. The hood is fantastic too! Since it adjusts 3 ways, you can wear it over your head, cap, wool hat, ski helmet, you name it, and not look like a total dork, as it will conform to that shape!

I ordered mine in blue (which is a really beautiful cobalt colour that matches my car perfectly, although that was TOTALLY unintended!) So, if you drive a blue VW R32, this is the jacket for YOU, and probably blue STi owners too (although Subaru's blue is not quite as dark and deep as VW's... I think.) I like stepping out of a sweet ride with a puffy, down, hooded, warm, water-proof jacket that matches its exterior paint to perfection. It's never happened before (no, I haven't owned a black car and perfectly matched black, puffy jacket also. lol).

Anyway, BUY THIS JACKET... NOW. It truly IS an INSTANT CLASSIC, especially if you compare it with last year's version from Patagonia! Uggggh! One last thing. I have owned this jacket for a week, and NOT ONE feather is sticking through (or has come through) the lining whatsoever!!! I cannot say the same for the 800-fill jackets I owned and have owned from The North Face and Mountain Hardware.

I have a differently hued blue 800-fill Men's Thunder jacket from The North Face on its way, so I will be the first to review IT, I suppose... I just want my stuff stack. Although worth EVERY penny, for $350, this jacket OUGHT to come with one... Maybe it really does. I'll leave an update about THAT! ;D

Visit Patagonia's Fitz Roy Down Hoody page.

When serious cold weather is in your future, the Patagonia Fitz Roy Down Hoody for men delivers the must-have warmth that you need. Patagonia gives this down parka the royal treatment so that you can count on being warm, regardless of the situation. At the heart of the Fitz Roy Down Hoody is a generous dose of premium 800-fill down and large baffle construction. Together with its close fit cut, the Fitz Roy offers true expedition quality warmth. The draw-cord hem, draft tube backed zipper, insulated hood and fleece-lined chin flap all add to the jackets incredible warmth. Patagonia adds functional pockets and a durable water resistant finish to make Fitz Roy a solid choice for cold weather adventure. The Fitz Roy Hoody for men is an ultra-warm down jacket worthy expedition wear.

- Altrec Outlet

A highly Compressible Down Jacket Built for Alpine Pursuits . Entering its Sophomore year, the Fitz Roy Down Hoody has become a instant classic. The windproof jacket features 800-fill power down complimented by a durable polyester ripstop shell

- Teton Village Sports

Inspired by the iconic mountain ridgeline of the company's namesake, the Patagonia Men's Fitz Roy Hooded Down Jacket delivers massive warmth in the harsh alpine cold thanks to its premium 800-fill goose down. This lofty yet highly compressible jacket features windproof, fully recycled shell fabric and a fully insulated, adjustable hood that fits right over your climbing helmet. When you reach the belay, fleece-lined hand pockets reanimate your frozen digits.

On Sale. Free Shipping. Patagonia Men's Fitz Roy Down Hoody FEATURES of the Patagonia Men's Fitz Roy Down Hoody Baffled construction promotes optimal loft and compressibility Lightweight and windproof recycled polyester ripstop fabric is treated with a Deluge DWR (durable water repellent) finish for wet-weather protection 800-fill-power premium European goose down Center front zipper has low-bulk draft tube to prevent wind chill Fleece-lined chin flap for comfort Pockets: Two microfleece-lined, zippered handwarmers, one exterior chest, one interior zippered security, one interior mesh drop-in Dual-adjust drawcord hem seals out drafts SPECIFICATIONS of the Patagonia Men's Fitz Roy Down Hoody Weight: 22.8 oz / 646 g Regular fit Shell: 1.3-oz microdenier 100% recycled polyester ripstop Insulation: 800-fill-power premium European goose down Lining: 1.4-oz 22-denier 100% recycled polyester Shell and lining have a Deluge DWR (durable water repellent) finish This product can only be shipped within the United States. Please don't hate us.

Patagonia Men's Fitz Roy Down Hoody

The Patagonia Men's Fitz Roy Down Hoody is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen May 10, 2014 at Backcountry.com.

If you're looking for a new down insulated jacket, check out the best reviewed current models.