My Pivettas, bought in '76-77 in a Denver store. I've…

Summary

My Pivettas, bought in '76-77 in a Denver store. I've still got 'em and still wearing 'em. I've bought several other top of the line hiking boots in the last 40 years but always come back to the Pivettas.

Pros

• Solid
  • Dependable
  • Comfortable after break-in

Cons

• No longer available.

These Pivettas have done it all, from hiking to logging. Feet remained dry through snow and streams. I've worn them to work in plant labs on icy days when others couldn't walk in the parking lot! These were and are the best boots I've ever owned.

I've worn out all of my earliest hiking equipment, but not my boots. My feet have gotten wider and I'm anxious to find a new brand, but no luck.

Welcome to Trailspace, Gary. Thanks for sharing your review. Have you ever resoled these, or have they lasted this long?

Gary Adams

Hello Goose. Yes, I had them resoled by Dave Page 13 years ago. Combination of 50-70 hour work weeks and getting older reduced my time and desire to go hiking. Now that I've retired I do have the time. I can still wear my Pivettas but only with a thin pair of socks! That's why I'm in the market again for a boot that's comparable. Wide boots, EE or EEE are hard to find. Especially built like the Pivetta. Any advice would be appreciated.

No advice. I was just wondering if you had gotten 40 years out of the same soles!

Welcome to Trailspace and thanks for the review, Gary! I would really love to see some pictures of your Pivettas in your review, especially as no one has shared an image of their pair in any of their reviews.

By the way, you may get some helpful footwear advice in our forums if you let people know what you're looking for: http://www.trailspace.com/forums/gear-selection/

Go Time! (Jesse Maloney)

I think you can still order custom from Redwing boots here in MN. All construction workers swear by them. They are so popular here that they branched out and make hikers now. I believe they also bought out Vasque at some point. They have great zero drop soles too. I would shy away from the new Vasque lines. They are not like the old ones.

Perfection! I purchased my Pivettas from a small backpacking…

Summary

Perfection!

Pros

• Great materials and outstanding craftsmanship

Cons

• None...no wait...they made too perfect a product!

I purchased my Pivettas from a small backpacking shop on Devon Ave. in Chicago. The price was out of proportion to my personal finances at the time, but they are the best investment I have ever made. They have taken me to the Smokies, Banff, BC, Glacier, Yellowstone and less glamorous trails in Wisconsin.

They may still make the Appalachian Trail trip, knees willing. These boots are 39 years old and still fit my feet like gloves...never a blister after breaking them in.

I hope someone connected with making these boots might have the occasion to read this. Thank you, you are a true craftsman.

Welcome to Trailspace, Abe. I love to see pictures of older gear, especially boots. If possible, can you share some pictures of your Pivettas in your review?

I was lucky to be able to buy a pair of Pivetta 5s…

Materials: leather, vibram sole
Use: varied hikes
Break-in Period: one month
Weight: four lbs.
Price Paid: ~$50

I was lucky to be able to buy a pair of Pivetta 5s in 1978 at Paragon Sports in New York, on the basis of a review I'd read in Backpacker (now available online; search "Backpacker 1973 Pivetta Limmer"). They have fit my narrow size 8-1/2 feet perfectly, and my only regret is that I didn't get a second pair, now that they've been out of production for a long time.

The intervening years, many comfortable hiking miles, and my own neglect have all proved the superiority of their design, workmanship, and materials. I had them resoled last year by Dave Page in Seattle, and they remain my faithful companions on a variety of terrain. In contrast to modern, disposable boots made by machine from synthetics, my Pivettas have continued over three decades to be durable, comfortable, and supportive; their all-leather construction is waterproof (I treat them with Limmer boot grease) and breathes naturally.

Last summer on a trip to Intervale to have Peter Limmer check out my Limmer mid weights (the pre-Meindl era of that firm is also described in the magazine mentioned above), the master boot maker took the time to examine the fit of my Pivettas, and refused my request for an adjustment; he advised me—correctly—to alter my lacing.

My two pairs of boots complement each other perfectly—like a Maserati and a Porsche, I imagine (dream on!). I doubt whether Pivettas will ever be surpassed; they will surely be a model for all the best boots to come.

I bought mine in about 1973 because Colin Fletcher’s…

Materials: leather, vibram, steel, and soul
Use: rough trail and bushwhacking w/heavy pack
Break-in Period: 100 miles
Weight: 4 to 5 pounds
Price Paid: unknown

I bought mine in about 1973 because Colin Fletcher’s book said they were the best. Wearing Pivetta V’s in the 1970s-80s was like a religious experience. You were a pilgrim seeking the soul of the wilderness and they took you there — but sacrifice and mortification of the flesh were required from the convert.

They were as heavy as a full crate of your modern boots that are just tall versions of a training shoe: if “a pound on your feet is worth five pounds on your back,” you felt like you had a full pack just wearing these around camp. And their legendary stiffness made them cast iron on a cold morning, until some warmth and movement let them reconform to your foot.

But on the trail, and especially off, they kept the pilgrim upright and protected from all harm. Talus, boulders, sharp pointy snags, creepy crawly varmints, ice -- nothing got through that one-piece upper and leather scree collar.

Thousands of miles and dozens of stream fordings couldn’t separate those screwed in, Norwegian welted vibrams from the midsole and uppers. No d-rings ever pulled out, because they only had reinforced eyelets. As for stiffness, if you could get half an inch of purchase on a rock, your ankles and your stuff were safe because they would not bend.

I still have ‘em but don’t wear ‘em because I’m no longer good enough for them. Unlike me, they stay perfect -- they will never be improved upon for backpacking with a heavy load.

I let my boots escape, alas. Here's the story of how…

Summary

I let my boots escape, alas.

Here's the story of how they ended up getting imported to start with: http://www.outinunder.com/content/eating-your-boots-george-rudolf-dmc-and-pivetta-boots

Also had some Fabiano Mountain Masters for scree hopping. I'm afraid the old boots weighed almost as much as my tent and bag now weigh. Wish I hadn't let them get away so I could verify.

Hi Alan. Any chance you could tell us a little about your boots here? Most readers won't follow a link to a blog when they are looking for gear reviews.\

Alan Tabor

Thanks, G00se. Pivetta boots aren't currently available outside eBay. Folks that bought them decades ago are still using them and that's a testament to the high level of dedication the bootmakers brought to their craft. Don't follow my link if you're looking for a product review. It's the story about how the boots were discovered by the Army's Mtneering Corp during WWII (members would sneak in behind enemy lines to get the boots) and Corp member George Rudolf (founder of the who Brk outdoor scene that spawned TNF, SD and others) then bringing them to the US. If you're here because you love your Pivettas, it may provide a little additional enjoyment.