User Review: Platypus SoftBottle
Source: bought it new
Price Paid: $8.95
This lightweight bottle is well designed with surprisingly nice features. It is a good replacement in terms of weight and flexibility to traditional hard sided bottles.
- Well designed
- Bottom catches on pack side pockets
Initially I bought the SoftBottle to further reduce weight of what I carry on the trail. After using it though, I have found it is very well designed product that is more than just lightweight. Here is what I like about the bottle:
- The bottle is light. At 1.2 ounces for a one liter bottle, it is one fifth the weight of a typical Nalgene one liter at 6.5 ounces.
- It is also nice that I can just roll up the bottle when it is empty and tuck it away. A hard sided bottle just takes up space.
- When filled, the bottom expands allowing it to firmly stand up on its own.
- The "waist" of the hour glass design allows one handed use while drinking.
- The bottle is made from a nylon/polyethylene material which seems very durable and will last a long time. Time and use will tell.
The only thing I find somewhat annoying about the design is that when filled, the edges around the bottom tend to catch on the fabric of my pack side pocket. This requires some extra effort to get the bottle into pocket and I cannot put the bottle away with my pack on by myself.
Overall this is a well designed product and for me, was a good purchase.