REI Flash Insulated Air Pad

After 18 months of use over four seasons, I've had…

Summary

After 18 months of use over four seasons, I've had NO problems and tons of great sleep. It is replacing my ExPed SynMat 7 (which I love). Packs much smaller and the same comfort (in three seasons).

Pros

• Packed size
  • "10 blow" inflation
  • Comfort

Cons

• It's AIR, so it CAN pop.

Spring through fall, this alone has been all I've needed. Night time comfort is wonderful, even for this old, 55-year-old body. In winter, the insulation isn't enough alone (isn't supposed to be) so I just put a closed foam pad under to keep me insulated from the frozen ground.

Inflating and deflating is a breeze (seperate one way valves) and, even though I'm a small guy, I have it up in 10 deep breaths. I really loved my last pad, an ExPed. It was my first compact pad (retiring my Therm-a-Rest) and took the ExPed on a week long backpacking trip and found inflation took a bit too long with the hand pump. The Flash is just so much quicker and packs to 1/2 the size.

It seems my "horizontal perspective" is a little skewed; I always seem to find a tent site on just a little slant. We've all been there, sleeping on slippery pads and ending up slammed against the tent wall. This has just the right texture to keep me in place. Best part of this air mat, so far, no leaks after quite a bit of use over 18 months.

For me, this works just perfect. In fact, I went and bought another as a spare for a "padless backpacking buddy."